Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf flag

Edkenny

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I had that one on my old boat. Worked fine except at high speeds. Then it would get pushed down. 

Thats because your not supposed to have a flag up at high speed. See above comment.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
Just now, Bill_AirJunky said:

Thats because your not supposed to have a flag up at high speed. See above comment.

Thanks. What makes you think it was a skier down flag?

Just now, RyanB said:

Thanks. What makes you think it was a skier down flag?

Your right. Because I would never have thought to use that flag holder to hold any other flag up.

• Like 1
Just now, Bill_AirJunky said:

Your right. Because I would never have thought to use that flag holder to hold any other flag up.

You've never seen a state flag on a boat?  Or a pirate flag?  Or a US flag?

No need for you to jump to conclusions (or be the flag police). 

And, for the record, I'd be willing to bet that not every state has the same regulations regarding this or much else on the water. I'd suggest giving people the benefit of the doubt that they might research local laws on their own. 

Just now, RyanB said:

You've never seen a state flag on a boat?  Or a pirate flag?  Or a US flag?

No need for you to jump to conclusions (or be the flag police). 

And, for the record, I'd be willing to bet that not every state has the same regulations regarding this or much else on the water. I'd suggest giving people the benefit of the doubt that they might research local laws on their own. 

I still would never have thought that flag holder would hold up any of those flags. It's held by a single bolt, that would in my opinion, spin as soon as any force was applied to it. It just doesn't look sturdy enough to hold up any kind of flag at speeds.

BTW, it's called a "skier down flag". Any state that requires it, says it's to be up when the skier is down, not up all the time.

Also, I've been told to remove the pirates flag by the Coast Guard.... something about the country it's declaring. Maybe it's different in your country.

Thanks for the answers it is just for a skier down or when we are swimming there would be no flag up while moving just avoiding depending on someone to hold up the flag when there is only 2 on the boat and a skier.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Check your local laws.  In California it is illegal to fly the flag while under way.  Even for surfing.

It is just while picking up a skier not to leave up all the time

I have something very similar to the flag holder linked on amazon above. I found a longer screw for the forks on my wakeboard rack and through bolted the flag holder to the top/back forks. Since the bolt is perpendicular to the wind direction, parallel to the direction the boat is traveling, the flag doesn't get blown down in the wind.

My kids like to fly the pirate flag going back to the houseboat, they have a boarding party and take over the big boat...