Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Malibu LSV 23 vs. 2015 Axis T23

TuckerJ

I'm looking for opinions on what to go with.  I can get a 2013 LSV 23 with a 350 motor and all the bells and whistles, or a 2015 T23 with a 409 and pretty loaded up for an Axis.  I have surfed an A22 and loved the wave, but not the boat.  It was a little "plasticky" for my taste.  I also hoped I could get something a little bigger (not 100% critical though) since I am out on big lakes.  Can anyone comment on Freeboard as well.  I have little kids and don't want them falling out (most of the time) plus, I like a deeper boat.  My dilemma is that I can save about $10k with the Axis.  I think I can deal with a lower level of finish as long as the wave performs, but if the extras like Power Wedge etc. are worth it, I'll bite the bullet and pay a little more.  Just want your thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

Elevation? Estimated ballast use?  Is the engine upgrade needed for your situation?  It sounds like you want the Malibu if the A was not your taste.

I think the Axis would surf and probably wakeboard better. More free board, but it sounds like the fit and finish of the Axis would bother you?

I would GREATLY prefer the updates to the 2014+ on the Malibu.

I'm in Utah, so definitely high elevation.  I'm going for a surf wave primarily, so I want to sack it out (within reason).  When I drove the A22, it had enough power, but not extra.  Would you think I would be underpowered in a 23' LSV with the same engine?  Also, was 2014 when Malibu started to make boats with more freeboard?  I know the newer ones definitely sit taller on the water (and trailer), but I'm just curious when that change happened.  The main issue I had with the A22 were the rattles every time we hit another wake.  Honestly, I'm used to a Cobalt.  This will be my first v drive.  I don't expect anything to ride like a cobalt, but rattles drive me crazy.  Is this an Axis thing or just the particular boat I was on?

I have the '14 LSV with the 409 engine.  Sacked out (750s in rear lockers, 400lb bag midship, 650lb bow sack) with wedge it's definitely working.  I wouldn't want the 350.  Elevation where I'm surfing at is about 1,150 ft.  This is the '14 with more freeboard, so could be the '13 is fine with the 350. 

If you thought the A22 was "plasticky" I'd go with the Malibu.  I've owned Axis and own Malibu and love them both but if you are a "fit and finish" guy my vote is the Malibu.

With regards to the "rattle", it depends on what type of wake you were hitting.  When I'm fully ballasted (3650 lbs in ballast) in my 20' Axis, I can get a good bang when I hit my own wake on a turn around.  Generally, if you level (from port to starboard, perpendicular to direction of travel) a "flat" bottom boat off before you hit the wake you will greatly reduce the bang.  I've ridden in other boats and don't think mine is particularly rattle-prone.  Vibration is a battle that can impact all boats.  Maybe something was loose.  

Regardless, tightening the tower or other items wont change your thoughts on the dash.  Like others have said, fit and finish guy - go Malibu, comfortable with some lesser fit and finish, enjoy the equal wake/wave performance and the upgraded engine with 10k in your pocket.

Edited by onwi

We just went with a new T23.  I love it.  I also love it significantly more than a new Malibu for $40K - $50 K more (new 22 MXZ  at my dealer is at $120K) I had written about my struggles to find a boat in the $60K to $70K sweet spot.  I wanted an 22 MXZ, and found a few, but in the end, went with a brand new T23 (410 engine with new transmission and new surfgate ultimately sold me.  

Coming from a 2007 VTX it has been a huge change.  Do I miss the fit and finish - absolutely.  I notice it.  I have to get over it.  Nevertheless, it's a huge improvement performancewise over what I had.  The freeboard in either the 23LSV or the T23 will be a noticable improvement.  Honestly, you might like the T23 better than the LSV because it has the notch at the rear that seems to add some interior depth.  I also like the 5 year warranty.  NOt sure if the T23 you're looking at will have a 3 or 5 year.  Regardless, the LSV will have no warranty.

Try them both out!

what numbers are we talking here?  I find it hard to believe a 15 T23 with engine upgrade is $10K less than a two year older LSV with year-1 surfgate and 350.

Reasons to want the axis: bigger, upgraded motor, newer style surfgate (I believe that it would have faster actuators, but I'm going from memory on that), good/great SG wave

Reasons to want the malibu: shock-assisted folding tower (whereas the axis is "armstrong"), power wedge (though this may eventually require replacement actuators... they all seem to eventually), interior fit and finish.

If you are buying to surf and you surf regular, then IMHO the decision should be pretty easy -- axis.  The old LSV hull with SG produced a pretty flat wave (no lip, more of a roller). Pretty sure the axis is way way better for surfing regular.

Excellent info.  Thanks for your help.  Listed prices are $67k for the Axis and $78k for the Malibu.  I didn't know that about the flatter waves on the LSV, good to know.

I think I'm leaning toward the Axis at this point.  I want to surf, and I can pretty much guarantee an awesome wave if I go with the T23.  Also, I can spend the extra 10K on a garage!!

There are no rattles in my 16' T23, surf wave is great, fit and finish is not the same as our old Malibu... but the 409 vs our old 350 is a HUGE difference at altitude unless. 

1 hour ago, TuckerJ said:

Excellent info.  Thanks for your help.  Listed prices are $67k for the Axis and $78k for the Malibu.  I didn't know that about the flatter waves on the LSV, good to know.

I think I'm leaning toward the Axis at this point.  I want to surf, and I can pretty much guarantee an awesome wave if I go with the T23.  Also, I can spend the extra 10K on a garage!!

78K for that boat is ridiculous IMHO.  Too many '14+ boats around 80K to make the old hull worth near that much.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Used-ski-boats.aspx?PartMakers=true&Distance=100&YearFrom=2014&OmitNoPrice=1&MakerName=3&Model=64

Believe it or not, I was close to buying a MXZ 22 '13 with a 350 at $74k with 140 hrs.  I backed out at the last minute because I thought I could find something better.  It sold only 4 hours later (and possibly for more, it was listed at $78)!  During boating season in UT, you pay a premium.  I know I can knock some off of the price on both of the boats I was looking at.  I think I should be able to snag the Axis for around $63-64k.

Tucker, just to clarify , in 2014 the LSV got its current hull with more freeboard vs the '13.  Just wanted to clarify since you asked what year Malibu got more freeboard and in regards to a flatter wave on the LSV (in 2013).  

Upper seventies is brand new T23 territory. I would go that route or a Used LSV on the newer hull as Shawn mentioned.  

49 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

And a brand new T23 vs 2 years old would have same motor, step down (1.72:1) transmission, hydraulic SG rams, and a 5 year transferable warranty.  

And if he waits a month, power wedge. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, TuckerJ said:

Really, Power wedge on an Axis?  I just had a dealer tell me it would never happen.

It's happening on 2018 models so dealer was either not an axis dealer, or lied to sell you a used boat... 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

78K for that boat is ridiculous IMHO.  Too many '14+ boats around 80K to make the old hull worth near that much.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Used-ski-boats.aspx?PartMakers=true&Distance=100&YearFrom=2014&OmitNoPrice=1&MakerName=3&Model=64

Agreed, you should easily be in a '14 LSV at that price point.