Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump

32 minutes ago, John I. said:

Just to confirm, is this the line that connects to the bracket? (at the hole you plugged)

fuel pump.jpg

I have this same pump that may need replaced. You just put a solid fitting on the regulator or whatever that is, to block it off?

Thanks,

Steve B.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:30 AM, Shastasurf said:

No need for a Y.  You buy a pump from summit for 100$ and a plug for your bracket.  Return line then dumps to tank not back to pump.  I've got 50+ hours on this set up.

Thanks in advance for more details. Which summit pump did you buy, and when you say return line, do you mean the second connection at the bottom of the pump?  I think now it goes to the regulator?

Thanks again,

Steve B.

22 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

how does the return dump back to the tank?   If the original configuration returns to the bottom of the fuel pump, and I plug that, what do I need to do to get the return line to dump to the tank?    I think I have two hoses from the tank already, one is a return line?

I have the same question.  Sorry for so many posts.

Steve B.

I replaced the old pump that has 2 inlets with a carter p5000 from summit racing, which has one inlet.   So the hard line on bracket is removed and put plug on bracket where the hardline fed pump. The bracket still has the lines coming from regulator and returning to tank. Only thing different is one inlet on pump and a plug to eliminate the hardline that fed pump.  The return has always dumped to tank it just doesn't go back to pump too.   Sorry if this isn't clear.

44 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I have the same question.  Sorry for so many posts.

Steve B.

Shasta explained it well.  The original fuel flow is Tank  --> high pressure pump --> fuel rails --> (then injectors or line to fuel pressure regulator) --> then return to tank and return to pump

The new fuel flow just eliminates the line back to the pump leaving the return line from the regulator to the tank.

Not sure what the return line to the pump did?

This LINK to Summit Racing was located earlier in the thread.  

Here is a LINK to the conversion kit at Bakes

The one at bakes is Coast Guard Marine certified,    is this like a starter or an alternator where we need to use the marine version?

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1

Yes a marine version is different from my research it has another  diaphram or something to prevent fuel leaking out if punctured or something.  I'm not exactly sure how different, but the carter p5000 isn't marine.

33 minutes ago, Shastasurf said:

I replaced the old pump that has 2 inlets with a carter p5000 from summit racing, which has one inlet.   So the hard line on bracket is removed and put plug on bracket where the hardline fed pump. The bracket still has the lines coming from regulator and returning to tank. Only thing different is one inlet on pump and a plug to eliminate the hardline that fed pump.  The return has always dumped to tank it just doesn't go back to pump too.   Sorry if this isn't clear.

Thanks shasta and boz. You are both very clear. It's me. I just removed the fuel pump, and I see that the return line comes from that regulator and not the pump.

My question now, is the carter okay for marine use like boz asks. I read several reviews from other inboard boat users. All say it is a good replacement.

Thanks again you guys !

Steve B.

As an FYI, as stated above I've ordered the Indmar conversion kit rather than this Carter pump (although thinking I'll buy a carter as a back up so the boat isn't down for a week next time this happens).  Just got off the phone with Bakes.  They told me that they are selling 15+ of these conversion kits every 2 weeks!  Good news for me is that means I'm not the only one who keeps going through pumps, and with any luck this one is an improvement. 

Great information on the carter pump guys, thanks for all the clarification.

3 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Shasta explained it well.  The original fuel flow is Tank  --> high pressure pump --> fuel rails --> (then injectors or line to fuel pressure regulator) --> then return to tank and return to pump

The new fuel flow just eliminates the line back to the pump leaving the return line from the regulator to the tank.

Not sure what the return line to the pump did?

This LINK to Summit Racing was located earlier in the thread.  

Here is a LINK to the conversion kit at Bakes

The one at bakes is Coast Guard Marine certified,    is this like a starter or an alternator where we need to use the marine version?

I am wondering the same, although it doesn't seem to have negatively impacted Shastasurf.  I wonder if we can get Engine Nut (Larry) to chime in on this....

Sounds like it might be prudent to ensure that a replacement pump includes the SAE J1171 certification as Boz notes, but I don't think that means paying $450! From what I have read the OEM pumps could be had for <$200 until they were discontinued and supply & demand drove up the prices. I suspect that inflated price may have influenced the engineering of the conversion kit.

I am still on the original pump from '01, but know I am on borrowed time and would like to have a contingency plan in place for when the inevitable happens.

Pretty sure my 02 pump is about done. Back to the pump, it sounds like the return line into the pump was an attempt to stop vapor lock by allowing the vapor a way to release back to the pump.

I am having trouble finding the psi on this carter marine pump:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p61171/overview/   Summit Racing just down the road from me !

But, if it is high enough, I am going to try it. I'll report back.

Steve B.

edit: Evidently indmar's solution just deletes this return line, and you plug the vapor release outlet with a brass plug, like shasta said and did.

Edited by Steve B.
added info

Info and problem with conversion kit. It arrived today from bakes. I spent some time installing. Have some pictures and video will attempt to post to YouTube. Answer to the plug the second line question is you don't. The entire metal hose seen in one of the pictures in a previous post is completely taken away. It had previously connected from the bottom of pump to the bracket itself. The new kit has a new bracket that doesn't include spot for that hose. Everything else essentially just hooks back up exactly how it was. EXCEPT the wiring harness isn't right!  At least mine isn't. Only thing I can think of is during some previous fuel pump install a new harness was used with some aftermarket part. In any case this one doesn't fit. Local shop solution was to cut wires at each harness end. Connect the gray to gray and black to black with crimped wire connectors. I haven't done that yet. Any advice on if that is an acceptable plan??? I can call indmar tomorrow and ask them if there's a solution to this but I'm guessing they'll tell me the part they sent should work. 

The new pump only has one inlet.  That's why bracket just has return to tank.  Splice those wires, no big deal. Get waterproof ones with heat shrink.

• Like 2

Conversion complete!  I was able to get a hold of Indmar customer service this morning. Apparently there is about a 7 year window of when the particular wiring harness was used. My 2000 response apparently prior to that 7 year window. Pump and bracket themselves like I said fit perfectly. Only real trouble I ran into was getting the brass fitting out of the bottom of the old bracket. It is to be re used in the new bracket. It's the fitting with the nipple that connects the fuel return line back to tank. I could not get that out. Went to local shop where they sold me an anti siphon fitting which looked the same and fit perfectly in the new bracket. Spent close to an hour on the water this morning. Seems to run great and without fuel leaks. Time will tell. 

23 minutes ago, cube18 said:

Conversion complete!  I was able to get a hold of Indmar customer service this morning. Apparently there is about a 7 year window of when the particular wiring harness was used. My 2000 response apparently prior to that 7 year window. Pump and bracket themselves like I said fit perfectly. Only real trouble I ran into was getting the brass fitting out of the bottom of the old bracket. It is to be re used in the new bracket. It's the fitting with the nipple that connects the fuel return line back to tank. I could not get that out. Went to local shop where they sold me an anti siphon fitting which looked the same and fit perfectly in the new bracket. Spent close to an hour on the water this morning. Seems to run great and without fuel leaks. Time will tell. 

Glad to hear that it worked for you. Did you end up splicing the wiring?

Yes, got the Carter P5000 in, sort of.  Tooks some barb adapters on the input side to reduce the 1/2" tank hose to the 3/8" barb on the pump. Check.

My issue now is the output connector is leaking. Even with it tightened sucurely, it's leaking between the "flare" and the output line. In other words, not coming out the threads, but forced between the steel output line and it's flare at the pump. Not sure what I'm going to do. I dont think it needs an O-ring. Maybe I have to re-flare the end?

But, I did power it up, and it did reach pressure like the original sounded.

Any thoughts on how to stop the leak at the output?

Thanks all,

Steve B.

@Steve B. try finding a copper gasket for flare fittings?  My pump attaches directly to fuel filter, if I remember right, I'm not in town or I'd check. I do remember some o rings on some fittings but it's been awhile.

Edited by Shastasurf
  • 7 months later...
On 7/24/2017 at 4:41 PM, Shastasurf said:

I bought a Carter P61171 (the marine version) but it doesn’t come with the inlet and outlet fittings as the P5000 apparently does.  Where might I find the fittings and what did you use for a plug?

Thanks much