Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump

On 3/25/2018 at 9:38 PM, Shastasurf said:

5CC36701-04BB-4BFF-B6D0-887699C9803D.jpeg

7/16x24 fitting plug from hose and fittings for hydraulics

@Shastasurf -  where did you find this plug?  All the others I've seen are hex head vs. the recessed/countersunk version you have found?

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, 97corvette said:

Also I ordered the marine version as the P5000 is out of stock, does anyone know what fittings I'll need to get for it?

You won't get any fittings with the P61171 if that's what you ordered.

You'll get the fittings you need with the P90043 but like the P50000, it's not marine-rated.

For the plug, I used one of these with some thread sealer.  Working great so far.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N17ZL8P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok thanks, ..Also I ordered the plug you mentioned andt it won't hurt to have the extra pump on hand so i ordered he P90043 

Edited by 97corvette
  • 9 months later...

Think my fuel pump was letting me down this weekend. Would lose power after some time, then would have to key off and re-prime. 
Looks like the P5000 isnt available. Hoping Summits other suggestion (p90043) is close enough.

Anyone have a lead of fuel pressure regulators for similar fuel systems? i have a monsoon 325 and cant find a great option for a regulator replacement.
This is all i can find. closest "looking" one i can find. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dfp-fp10004?rrec=true
I cant find any pressure info though.

Thx

Edited by Zsteeves
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just as DIY as the next guy and love to save a buck. With that said, I spent too many hours to count trying to find the perfect inexpensive replacement fuel pump when my boat was in the lift. Everyone says how they used a Carter or Walbro. Some even suggested Ebay ones. It's the fittings that are the real kicker. You may get a pump that works but no idea how it will attach to your lines. So you wait a while to get the pump and then have to wait for the correct fittings. Once you figure that out great, but if you want a one stop shop and back on the water in less than an hour buy it from Ron at Skiboatpartsonline. Yes it's $289, but he includes all the fittings needed to get going in literally less than an hour. Includes the plug too. I wanted to jump on the Ebay one but it has metric threads. Really? I had a 1/2" fuel line intake. Ok so needed a 1/2" barb to the threaded intake. Had a flared hard fitting to the outflow. Most of the pumps wouldn't say what the pumps threaded fittings were. I'm just posting this for those that are fed up trying to figure out if their inexpensive pump will work with their setup. Yes it was way more money but the summer is way too short!

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/17/2021 at 7:34 AM, mnmarty said:

I'm just as DIY as the next guy and love to save a buck. With that said, I spent too many hours to count trying to find the perfect inexpensive replacement fuel pump when my boat was in the lift. Everyone says how they used a Carter or Walbro. Some even suggested Ebay ones. It's the fittings that are the real kicker. You may get a pump that works but no idea how it will attach to your lines. So you wait a while to get the pump and then have to wait for the correct fittings. Once you figure that out great, but if you want a one stop shop and back on the water in less than an hour buy it from Ron at Skiboatpartsonline. Yes it's $289, but he includes all the fittings needed to get going in literally less than an hour. Includes the plug too. I wanted to jump on the Ebay one but it has metric threads. Really? I had a 1/2" fuel line intake. Ok so needed a 1/2" barb to the threaded intake. Had a flared hard fitting to the outflow. Most of the pumps wouldn't say what the pumps threaded fittings were. I'm just posting this for those that are fed up trying to figure out if their inexpensive pump will work with their setup. Yes it was way more money but the summer is way too short!

Mnmarty,

i was about to log in today and give an update on theebay fuel pump that appeared as a direct replacement. The pump installed directly. no wiring or fitting issues. I just swapped the fittings from my existing pump over no problem. 
However, the ebay "direct replacment" didnt make enough pressure. With entirely new fuel lines, filters, regulators, i couldnt get the primed fuel line pressure to pass 30psi (need atleast 40-45psi on key up).Do you dodged a bullet.

additionally its worth noting that i ended up buying a p90043 (which is identical to the p50000 everyone talks about, just the new model) on amazon, and it came with everythingi needed except a plug that I went and got from the autoparts store for 3$.

• 1 month later...

I posted over on this thread, thought it might be helpful for the next guy in line that needs to do this. Carter P61171 pump, Russell -6AN Adapter Fitting, Part #640380 for the pump inlet:

• Like 2

I know the new pump design with the single inlet is supposed to help with vapor lock. Does anyone still get vapor lock with the new pump design? I'll run hard hard, sit and swim, and then have a hell of a time getting started again. Backfiring, starving for gas. Having to pump the throttle in neutral and finally everything comes back to normal. Runs perfect after getting it going. Never issues with cold starts. New plugs, new coil, new inline fuel filter and obviously, new fuel pump. Temps 90. I was hoping I'd never have to worry about vapor lock again with the new design. Nothing's worse than not trusting the boat to start!

1 hour ago, mnmarty said:

I know the new pump design with the single inlet is supposed to help with vapor lock. Does anyone still get vapor lock with the new pump design? I'll run hard hard, sit and swim, and then have a hell of a time getting started again. Backfiring, starving for gas. Having to pump the throttle in neutral and finally everything comes back to normal. Runs perfect after getting it going. Never issues with cold starts. New plugs, new coil, new inline fuel filter and obviously, new fuel pump. Temps 90. I was hoping I'd never have to worry about vapor lock again with the new design. Nothing's worse than not trusting the boat to start!

I would think putting the new pump in the same location as the original would yield the same results. It's not the fuel pump that's the issue, its the location close to heat....well that and the fuel. Do you use fuel with ethanol? There are a couple ways to get rid of the "vapor lock". One is relocate the fuel pump, away from heat. Others have added an additional low pressure pump to the feed line. Me? I use ethanol free fuel and don't have the issue. But as soon as I use fuel with ethanol... I get vapor lock.

1 hour ago, mnmarty said:

I would suggest a tune up first.  Have you ever changed the plug wires?  Have you ever cleaned the throttle body?

Pumping the throttle on an injected engine should do absolutely nothing to help get it started.

It's not pumping per se. The boat is about to stall so I back down on throttle, then advance throttle. All to keep it firing until it finally catches up. I agree, I'm not "pumping."

I'm using pure gas but there was some ethanol gas still in the tank. I'm hoping by getting down to the bottom of the tank and then putting all pure gas will help.