Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air Chair Advice

DeltaGreg

Just bought a used Air Chair for $250 from Craig's List.  I think it's the Stealth.  The graphic is a gorilla and it's got an aluminum seat with a polished aluminum foil.  The rear wing on mine is curved up like a U-shape.  I read online that there were two wings available- one flat wing for beginners and one curved wing for experts.  I've rode these a couple of times and I think I rode one similar but with the flat wing.  The flat wing seamed to be way easier to fly around on.  On the chair I just bought I can taxi just fine, but as soon as I try to fly it, I just keep porpoising until I face plant.  I realize there's a lot of technique that I need to learn, but it seems like I had an easier time the few times I tried before on other chairs.

Is the curved wing going to be way to hard to learn on? Is there a way to tune it to make it easier to get the feel for?  Do I need to get the flat wing?  Does anyone have an old beginner wing for the Stealth that they are looking to let go for cheap?  

I can't really justify spending $170 direct from Air Chair for my $250 chair, especially since I'll only use it occasionally.  

Hey Greg,

The foil is a lot of fun to ride, but I always thought the Stealth was a tough one to master. I've seen Bob & Geno rip it up on that very foil, even rode both of their skis before, but the only thing I ever did very well was the buckin bronco. And frankly Geno could ride a mobe out on a trash can lid so he doesn't count. The flat wing will be a lot easier to ride, but it's also dead as far as jumping it. This is very much by design as it's considered their beginner wing.

Get on some of the Hydrofoil Facebook groups or join Foilforum.com. There are plenty of other riders out there. Hopefully one of them has a beginner wing for you to at least try out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/358151137561590/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/613734532134218/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hydrofoil/

Good luck & drop me a line anytime if you have any questions.

• Like 2

@DeltaGreg, if you are in the Nor Cal Delta area, let me know if you want to hook up to ride. I am in Sacramento area.   I suggest learning to ride on the stealth but once you do learn to fly it, that's about the time to start thinking about upgrading.  I ride what I consider a mid level ski and its amazing the difference it makes.  I went from a stealth to a sky ski ss pro and then upgraded my tbar and wings.  beware tho, its an expensive slippery slope once you get hooked.  Board and tower are next for my upgrades and then I can re assemble my SS pro back to stock and sell it as a whole.