Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where is the fill pump for the center tank

Wakesetter2006

Hello all.  This is my first post.

- How many pumps are used to fill and drain the center ballast tank?

- Where are the pumps located (pictures if available)?

- Depressing the "fill" toggle on the center tank switch causes the MLS circuit breaker to pop.  Depressing the "drain" toggle on the center tank switch does not cause the MLS circuit breaker to pop.

My theory is that there are two pumps for the center ballast tank.  One to fill and one to drain.  If I could find the drain pump, I could make some progress.

Thanks  in advance!

2006 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV

Check out this thread, I posted the location of the center pumps. It has been the same since 2004 and remains the same on 2017 MY boats.

They are in the center hatch, right by the driver's feet. You should be able to turn on/off the pumps & by process of elimination, narrow down exactly which one it is. Each boat can be a little different so pics may or may not be exactly right. Chances are it's clogged, so it's using a lot of power to try & turn the impeller. There is a little screw on top & a the top comes off to reveal the impeller inside.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

There are two pumps in the center hatch.  One pump is the drain pump for the center ballast.  The other pump is for the fill for the bow tank.

Where is the center MLS fill pump?  It is not in the bilge pump access hatch.

I took a picture but don't know how to show you.  If you need a pic I can email it.

Nope, like I mentioned in the post I linked to, there are three pumps in the center hatch (if the boat is equipped with the factory bow tank option). It's important to understand how centrifugal class pumps work; they are directional and not self-priming, which means the pump has to be right at the water source.

Again, as I detailed in the post I linked to, the two fill pumps in that hatch will be connected to thru-hull intakes via ball valves. One of those will be for the front tank (press fill for the center location and put your hand on the pump body to determine if it's running). The other pump is the fill pump for the center tank that you're looking for.

The drain pump for the center tank is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the blown circuit breaker you're experiencing.

I can take pictures if you want, but it's really not necessary.

I took a picture but can't figure out how to post.  Do you know how to post?

Can you tell me where the fill tank is?  

I see the drain pump for the center tank and the fill tank for the bow.  Where is the fill pump for the center?

Here is an over-exposed photo I just took so you can clearly see the pumps. This is on a 2017 22 MXZ, and the specific placement will vary slightly based on the year and model of boat, but the general idea is the same. In this boat, the two fill pumps are on the left side of the picture. You can see that they are connected directly to the thru-hull intakes to pull water in from below the boat.

The drain pump for the center tank is right in the middle of the picture, and connected directly to the ballast tank, so that it can pump water out from there.

Although the placement of your fill pumps may vary (there's a lot of room between the stringers up here in this boat), the other details will remain the same:

- Fill pumps connected to thru-hull intake via ball valves

- Drain pump threaded straight on the tank.

Hopefully that helps.

malibu-ballast-pump-location.jpg