Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

89 Malibu Sunsetter

BSUSKIALUM2010

I am looking to purchase an older, inboard, ski boat for my family. I have a 4 year old that we just got up on training skis and he seems interested in continuing to keep learning. I was on the Ball Stat Water Ski team and continue to wakeboard/slalom.  I would like to get a boat that is open bow and is also pretty good in choppy water (Lake Shafer, IN). I also have a 2 year old and one on the way. 

I have found an '89 Sunsetter that is close to where I live.  Do they sit high off the water? How are they in choppy conditions? It is listed for $3800. The owner did not put very many details on the listing. https://southbend.craigslist.org/boa/6191353569.html

Let me know what you think and if it is worth pursuing. Thanks all and lets get ready for the best holiday of the year!!! 

- BSUSKIALUM2010

@BSUSKIALUM2010:  From your description, and others here on the forum can chime in, a mid 90's Sunsetter LX might be the ideal candidate.  For the price, that boat may be very good, the big question would be condition and that boat will have wood stringers.  Hopefully, any of the vintage 'Bu owners can chime in and provide excellent details.

• Like 1

Personally, I would stay away from wood construction with a boat, unless someone can verify that it is 100% solid.  Even then, everytime I get it wet on the inside I will be worried.  Malibu started making boats out of all composite and zero wood in the mid 90's.  I think it was '93 for the Skier, all Echelons were composite, then '95 and up for the Sunsetter.

I agree with the above two posts. Wood worries me... With that said, for the price it's not bad. If it's what you can afford then I'd recommend at least taking a look. 

If it needs new wood / upholstery be aware for the added cost, you may be into the price range of an all composite boat that's newer.

• Like 2

Thank you for the suggestions and comments.  I have emailed the owner to request more information. I will keep you posted 

Right now, I don't think a mid 90s boat is in my price range..... I might have to wait a couple of years to get my boat. 

As long as the stingers, floors are solid and do not have rot that will be a great boat!  (boats have been made out of wood for a very long time) It won't handle chop the best.  if you just reduce speed to the water conditions it will go through some pretty big waves although be it at 12mph.  The Sunsetter will also take a decent amount of passengers.  My boat regularly takes 10 people and a couple dogs without an issue.  Last weekend I took 12 BIG people and 3 dogs it was tight but the old girl did it and still felt safe.  

Freeboard is around 18".

I say get what you can afford and start having fun on the water.  You can always upgrade in the future and with the cost of the new boats being astronomical the older boats are holding there value fairly well.

I have an 89 you're looking at so here's my two cents. The boat is easy to work on and just goes if you have some mechanical aptitude you can fix anything. If there is any spongy spots in the floor or soft stringers the boat will instantly be out of your price range and you'll be in for $10,000 worth of work and a year later so walk unless you want a project.

I've had mine out in a large lake with 18-20 mph winds and gusts up to 30. White caps and all. It's not fun and ended the day but if you keep the bow up and keep moving your good. Then again if someone doesn't know what they are doing and cut the throttle at their own wake when they turn around too tight you'll see the lake drop an inch. Got to watch that happen as I was bobbing in the water. It's all about experience. 

We had an '88 Sunsetter for about 10 years with 2 kids starting at age 2 months.  We loved it and it gave us a lot of trouble free hours. It was very basic, no complicated electronics to go bad. Check it over well looking for soft spots in the floor, stringers, especially around motor mounts. Bring a screwdriver to poke with. 

You may want to look at something other than an old Sunsetter if handling chop is important to you. While the boat will go through it, it is a rough and slow ride. 

The 89 listed doesn't look like a bad boat on the surface. Even the vinyl looks fair. If it passes a physical inspection I bet it would suit your family just right. These older 'Bu's are great boats even though there is absolutely zero dealer support for them (it's not really necessary). 

One observation I have is that the trailer is 100% wrong for the boat. Budget for a proper trailer or trailer (re)build. I see the boat has the bow cover snaps and the bimini snaps, it would be a big plus if both of those were stored in the the boat. 

That Sunsetter has just as many hours as mine. If it was maintained at all, I'd expect the powertrain to be in good working order. 

Like others have said,  check for soft spots in the floor. I had an 88 I/O i just sold that i always kept under a carport when not in use. I skied, wakeboarded often with it. The floor on it was solid. Find out how it was kept but for that age, bad upkeep  should be seen unless it has been rebuilt. If he rebuilt it, he may have covered over bad areas but not fixed them. 

11 hours ago, 87Warrior said:

You may want to look at something other than an old Sunsetter if handling chop is important to you. While the boat will go through it, it is a rough and slow ride. 

The 89 listed doesn't look like a bad boat on the surface. Even the vinyl looks fair. If it passes a physical inspection I bet it would suit your family just right. These older 'Bu's are great boats even though there is absolutely zero dealer support for them (it's not really necessary). 

One observation I have is that the trailer is 100% wrong for the boat. Budget for a proper trailer or trailer (re)build. I see the boat has the bow cover snaps and the bimini snaps, it would be a big plus if both of those were stored in the the boat. 

That Sunsetter has just as many hours as mine. If it was maintained at all, I'd expect the powertrain to be in good working order. 

I missed that warrior is right the trailer is way wrong. That should be a consideration on that one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I own an 89 Sunsetter like previously stated the trailer is terrifyingly small for that boat, should have come with a TI tandem axle trailer. If I remember correctly mine wet and full of gear is near 3000 lbs. However I absolutely love the Sunsetters, easy enough to work on and slick looking as can be. The ride leaves something to be desired. They were designed to be a tow boat not a run about so keep that in mind. I absolutely agree with everyone else about the floors and stringers. Floors alone will be a $4000-5000 job stringers will easily double that. I am no marine tech but I have been servicing mine since my father bought it 20 years ago, still keeping it kicking now that I bought it. 

On 6/27/2017 at 2:57 PM, BSUSKIALUM2010 said:

Thank you for the suggestions and comments.  I have emailed the owner to request more information. I will keep you posted 

Right now, I don't think a mid 90s boat is in my price range..... I might have to wait a couple of years to get my boat. 

Did you buy it?

• 3 years later...
On 7/8/2017 at 1:42 AM, delbon said:

I own an 89 Sunsetter like previously stated the trailer is terrifyingly small for that boat, should have come with a TI tandem axle trailer. If I remember correctly mine wet and full of gear is near 3000 lbs.

I recently purchased a 1991 Malibu sunsetter but my trailer tag for my ti tandem axle trailer was worn out so I’m having a real hard time getting a plate for it since they don’t know the weight of it. Could you send me or post a picture or your tag with the weight on it?