Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 v ride w/ 340 monsoon over heating

Over the weekend I took the boat out to get it ready for the 4th weekend. Ran it for about a half hour and got a check engine, over temperature (205 deg.) and immediately shut it down.  

Waited for the temp to get to 170ish, and the motor was turning over but would not start. Tried again a few mins later, motor didn't turn over and just made a loud thud.

Took it home and the impeller was in good shape, I changed it anyways. Engine still won't crank.  But I am unsure where to go from here now before taking it to a shop. Hoping I didn't f*** anything internally...  

Bad engine water pump?

First, damage control.  Check the oil on the dipstick.  If milky or mocha colored instead of golden (new) or blackish (old) then you have water in the oil and probably a cylinder too.  Go directly to a mechanic.  If not, pull all the spark plugs, take off the safety lanyard, then see if it'll turn over - just a second or two.  Again, you might have water in one or more of the cylinders from a leaky head gasket - or from shutting down while still planing (if that's what you did).  If it turns over and water comes out one or more of the spark plug holes take it to a mechanic quickly to minimize any more internal damage.  Don't put the plugs back in an run it.  Perhaps need a new head gasket, warped heads machined, or maybe just new flappers on exhaust.

If it still will not turn over and makes another thud then you may already have some busted internal parts.

Do you remember if the exhaust manifolds were really hot as well?  If not, engine water pump is the prime suspect for causing the problem in the first place.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply, I will be wrenching on it Saturday.  i plan on checking all the water intakes to check for clogs, also checking for a stuck thermostat.  Then to try to turn over the engine by hand

i spoke with the local malibu dealer and they had a 1 month wait, they suspect it is the flex plate/damper plate.  I wondering about this too.  

however, i need to find the reason for the over heating

and then determine what the crash was that i heard, during the last start up.  It would be a shame to rip the boat apart to realize that the damper plate was okay, and that the issue was internal 

If the issue was found on start up, could there be an issue with the flex plate? any way to determine if the flex plate is bad?

thanks!! 

Take the plugs out to turn it by hand and make sure you can still spin it freely. Check the raw water lines for debris, especially the trans cooler.

PS. Early sets on Tuesday if you want to join us.

Edited by twitchee2

Are you saying turn it by hand via the prop itself? or the motor which has the impeller bolted to the crankshaft.

How do you "turn" the motor??

1 hour ago, funkcity said:

Are you saying turn it by hand via the prop itself? or the motor which has the impeller bolted to the crankshaft.

How do you "turn" the motor??

take the spark plugs out, put a wrench on a crank pulley bolt and turn it over.