Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 VTX Value?

nownow

I'm thinking of upgrading this year - either to a VLX or a Ri217.  Topic of trade or private sale has come up in discussions.

I have a 2012 VTX with 540 hours.  A few small tears near the seams in the rear corner cushions, but otherwise the gel and vinyl are good and it's in highly above average condition for a 5yo boat with those hours.

Boat Trader has 6 within 1000 miles of me, and they're all over the place price wise.  What's it worth?

Thanks!  Jason

Price it at the highest one and see if you get any bites....lower it as needed.  I always start with the highest NADA value because that is what the bank will loan to the person buying the boat from me.  I just show them the NADA value and don't haggle much.  Never had a problem selling a boat doing that.

1 hour ago, robbennett said:

Mid to high 40's would be a quick fair price for that boat. Maybe could get in the 50's for it if you don't mind a slower sale. 

Around here it would sell for mid to high 50's depending on condition/equipment if you could even find one.  Some folks value the non surfgate VTX (2012 and older), and the pre 2016 VTX in general are pretty hard to find these days

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Around here it would sell for mid to high 50's depending on condition/equipment if you could even find one.  Some folks value the non surfgate VTX (2012 and older), and the pre 2016 VTX in general are pretty hard to find these days

I'd definitely agree to list mid to high 50's and see what happens! It's always better to start on the higher side than for it to sell the first day and wonder if you should have asked more. There are a lot less VTX on the market so they could bring more than the pre surfgate VLX are bringing. I know of multiple 12 models that have been on the market for several weeks that are priced between 49900 and 55k which is more what I judging by. 

3 minutes ago, robbennett said:

I'd definitely agree to list mid to high 50's and see what happens! It's always better to start on the higher side than for it to sell the first day and wonder if you should have asked more. There are a lot less VTX on the market so they could bring more than the pre surfgate VLX are bringing. I know of multiple 12 models that have been on the market for several weeks that are priced between 49900 and 55k which is more what I judging by. 

From doing some quick searching on the internet I could find a total of 9 pre 2016 VTX for sale in the entire country ;)  Of those there were 4 pre 2013.

By comparison there are a crap load of VLX on the market.  My .02 is that since they "screwed up" the VTX in 2016 by turning it into a surf boat that won't fit in a normal garage that the pre 2015 boats are a lot more sought after by people who wanted a v-drive ski boat and are being held onto.

My local dealer used to always have 6-10 used 2007 and up VTX in stock at any one time, they have 2 now (both 2014)

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks for the feedback!  Boat's listed in the classifieds as of now.

The upgrade talk almost got canned when we saw glass Sunday morning and reminded ourselves what kind of (awesome) slalom wake this boat has, but we're going to give it shot since we really don't ski as much as we used to and our lake only holds glass until about 7am.  :cry:

I remember not being able to find any used ones for a reasonable price when we bought this new.  Guess I didn't realize the changes they made in 2016.

It's been a great boat and it's in really good shape.  Lots and lots of life left in it.  

Jason

Good luck!

My .02, put the stock prop back on it if a skier is coming to look at it.  If top end is only 36 with your current prop then that thing must really be screaming at ski speed.  Top speed is more like 45 with the stock 1939

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

You know, I have to go run it again now that you say that. I ski at 36 and I think it was around 4200 at 34 when my wife skis. 

Definitely higher than it was, but not alarming. Guess I need to validate that top speed. 

Edit:  Yeah, I found a pic of the cluster at 39mph from earlier this year and I distinctly remember not being at WOT.  I'll have to see for sure, but I recall seeing 40+ now that I think about it.  It's plenty capable for a slalom demo.  Honestly on the surf prop bare-footing would probably be a distinct challenge.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Edited by nownow
Added Info
  • 4 weeks later...

Dropped the price from $55,000 to $50,000.  Will likely be trading it within the next few weeks if I don't see any offers ... which is a little of a shame, but I can't carry two boats right now.

11 minutes ago, nownow said:

Dropped the price from $55,000 to $50,000.  Will likely be trading it within the next few weeks if I don't see any offers ... which is a little of a shame, but I can't carry two boats right now.

Going VLX or Ri?

Just listed it here, but I think I'm dropping it on the Raleigh Craigslist too.

I think we're headed to an Ri.  I was waiting on the Fi release, but it didn't really impress me too much.  I sorta have my eye on a specific Ri, but if we get too far along and/or that boat sells, we'll go into the show season on a mission!  I've been messing around with getting my 4500lb lift upgraded to a 7000lb, and until that happened I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself.