Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

These boats are EXPENSIVE!!!

drewsy77

So I'm just sitting here admiring some of the newer boats you guys are buying and just looking at the price tag of some of these boats and just wondering what some of you guys do for a living to be able to afford these monsters! haha

I about had a heart attack when the fiance talked me into buying our 2006 23LSV for $35k. I made a good amount of money per year - $150k ish but even on that amount of money I can't see ever being able to justify or afford something with a $100k + price tag - even though I think I'd look pretty sweet in a new Malibu. 

You guys with these expensive boats have to be pulling in the BIG bucks!

35k for a 2006 sounds like a good deal.  I won't be selling my 2004 anytime soon.  It's paid for and I'd have to spend 80k or more to feel it was worth the upgrade.  

If we really get into surfing GSA for 4k sounds like a no brainer compared to a new boat.  The funny thing is, at least around here the budget boats aren't selling like the 100k plus ones. You can get a new Axis or NXT or Moomba for 60-70k but the dealers here sell way more X23, G23 and 23LSV than budge boats.   Crazy.  

2 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

35k for a 2006 sounds like a good deal.  I won't be selling my 2004 anytime soon.  It's paid for and I'd have to spend 80k or more to feel it was worth the upgrade.  

If we really get into surfing GSA for 4k sounds like a no brainer compared to a new boat.  The funny thing is, at least around here the budget boats aren't selling like the 100k plus ones. You can get a new Axis or NXT or Moomba for 60-70k but the dealers here sell way more X23, G23 and 23LSV than budge boats.   Crazy.  

I found a lady that got the boat in a divorce and wanted it gone asap. Boat had 467 hours on it and was taken care of. I've had a few things to replace like the AMP and Head unit. Just upgraded the stock prop to the 2247. Also just had a transom remote put in and a new steering cable. For the money it's exceeded my expectations.

What is a GSA for $4k? Not sure I know what you mean. 

Edited by drewsy77
Just now, drewsy77 said:

Is this considered an annoying topic? Sorry to offend if that is the case.

Not an annoying topic... usually someone ends up with hurt feelings and then people start lashing out.  Take my last comment to mean "I'll bring the popcorn". :)

31 minutes ago, drewsy77 said:

I found a lady that got the boat in a divorce and wanted it gone asap. Boat had 467 hours on it and was taken care of. I've had a few things to replace like the AMP and Head unit. Just upgraded the stock prop to the 2247. Also just had a transom remote put in and a new steering cable. For the money it's exceeded my expectations.

Go surf assist.  Its an electronic tab surf system.  It's the closest thing I've seen to the stock surf systems on the new boats.  The modern surf equipment seems to be the biggest reason for most people to upgrade.  4000 for some tabs seems expensive until you compare it to a new 23lsv.    Granted new boats have other new features that make them better but I think the push button surfing is the biggest one.

Anyway, my boat is paid for and easy to work on and that makes me happy.  Kuddos to the guys w/ the 100k rigs.  They're fun to look at. 

33 minutes ago, drewsy77 said:

Pre 2013 malibu did not have a surf system (Surfgate). Pre 2013 most people listed their boat to surf... Then there is several manual addons that were used (ghetto gate, suck gate, wicked gate...etc) and then there is GSA... Go Surf Assist.... fully automated surf system for boats that don't have a surf system.. IMO one of the best surf systems in general :biggrin:

https://www.gosurfassist.com/

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Not an annoying topic... usually someone ends up with hurt feelings and then people start lashing out.  Take my last comment to mean "I'll bring the popcorn". :)

As much as I appreciate that info I kinda hate you now because I might have to eventually get that. Wow, that's cool AF. 

I keep saying every year that the bubble is going to pop... still hasn't.

We've been looking at RVs...  I can get a class A for the same price as the new boats.   I get a tax deduction.  I can live on it, cook, shower, even take a dump on it...  can't do any of that on the boat.   I just don't see where the money is in the boat.  The RV has more systems,  more hand labor, more materials, tech, etc....  

Used boat market is kicking right now too.

Edited by bamabonners
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, bamabonners said:

We've been looking at RVs...  I can get a class A for the same price as the new boats.   I get a tax deduction.  I can live on it, cook, shower, even take a dump on it...  can't do any of that on the boat.   I just don't see where the money is in the boat.  The RV has more systems,  more hand labor, more materials, tech, etc....  

Buy a big enough boat and those tax deductions apply too!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, bamabonners said:

You can live on a Malibu!

Shower option✔️ 

Blender?✔️

Heater✔️

Bucket and a toilet seat✔️

Surround sound✔️ 

Unlike RV's they don't leak!

You guys think the build quality has gone down hill on Malibu's, you should see new 5th wheels, they're leaking before they get off the lot. 

People always seem to question why prices are so high and just keep on buying them. If people stopped buying boats prices would come down! Manufacturers are going to charge the highest amount people are willing to pay. 

14 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

You can live on a Malibu!

Shower option✔️ 

Blender?✔️

Heater✔️

Bucket and a toilet seat✔️

Surround sound✔️ 

Unlike RV's they don't leak!

You guys think the build quality has gone down hill on Malibu's, you should see new 5th wheels, they're leaking before they get off the lot. 

People always seem to question why prices are so high and just keep on buying them. If people stopped buying boats prices would come down! Manufacturers are going to charge the highest amount people are willing to pay. 

I would say the highest amount banks are willing to lend to people so they can buy the boat :)

5 hours ago, bamabonners said:

Your not kidding, I ran the numbers on the 2011 vRide 23 the other day and swear its actually gone up in value a bit over the last couple years. At the end of the day they are all bad a** boats from the 2000's to now, they all rock.

pharmaceutical sales or manufacturing. Another great option is to refi your house to buy a boat. 2nd option is nice, so you can tell your friends, "I paid cash" 

;)