Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Southern SurfFest Results

Anderson24

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere, but just saw it online. Not too bad for Malibu...#1 and #3 spot overall. I don't think they have released the numbers or details yet. But this should stir the pot a bit...

673C58C1-CF3C-4A11-8EF8-624EB9455CF4_zps

• Like 3

It will be interesting if these were all stock setups or if they were dialed in by the owners?  Or are these manufacturer boats?  Boards are somewhat subjective since we all come in different shapes and sizes....

41 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

It will be interesting if these were all stock setups or if they were dialed in by the owners?  Or are these manufacturer boats?  Boards are somewhat subjective since we all come in different shapes and sizes....

Some boats were bone stock and others had quite a bit of ballast and lead added. 

14 minutes ago, griswold said:

Some boats were bone stock and others had quite a bit of ballast and lead added. 

If that is true, then its hardly a valid ranking.

grandaddy wrote up a pretty good summary of who ran what ballast/weighting. If i remember correctly, one of the Malibus had too much weight to fully use the wedge

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

Here is the full video...  

well... I wish they would have put a little more effort in video explaining how they were rated, likes and dislikes of the wave, setups, and more vids of riding to see a wave comparison (same angle shots on all boats)...

2 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

well... I wish they would have put a little more effort in video explaining how they were rated, likes and dislikes of the wave, setups, and more vids of riding to see a wave comparison (same angle shots on all boats)...

I believe that is coming...this was just a quick teaser to show final results. Their fb page says more video and results will come soon. 

7 hours ago, wheelman said:

Interesting to see the mkz beat out the flagship m235. Was this judged just on wave or many aspects of the boat?

I road those two and no freakin way the MXZ from the event beat the M based on wave, but the M did have a 1000 lb bow sac, now the MXZ of Drew @wolfeman1 ftom Friday's lessons was awesome and probably the best but it was not in the lineup. 

Edited by granddaddy55
12 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I road those two and no freakin way the MXZ from the event beat the M based on wave, but the M did have a 1000 lb bow sac, now the MXZ of Drew @wolfeman1 ftom Friday's lessons was awesome and probably the best but it was not in the lineup. 

Which is why the setup is critical.  Also if results are similar to the last couple years.   The wave is only about 1/3 of the scoring.   

Similarly odd is G25 came out better than G23?

39 minutes ago, asp13 said:

makes me happy to not see a single mastercraft. 

Hard for them to place in the top ten list, if they weren't even there.

Bonehead move on the dealers part, IMO. The X23 and XT23 would have definitely ranked well.

• Like 2
Just now, DarkSide said:

I literally can't tell the difference in waves between the 23 and 25...... so the 25 might have scored higher simply because of extra space. Similar thing may have happened with the 24mxz scoring higher than the M235. With Wave being only 1/3 of scoring.

5 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I literally can't tell the difference in waves between the 23 and 25...... so the 25 might have scored higher simply because of extra space. Similar thing may have happened with the 24mxz scoring higher than the M235. With Wave being only 1/3 of scoring.

Here is the 2015 scoring sheet... So with M235 having a giant a** bow sac, that would explain the MXZ win.

The 25 also had some lead in it, if i remember right, and 23 was bone stock.

Screenshot_20170526-094703_zpsrbhnjte0.p

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Why is that odd?  It weighs more?  

Im sad there was no 25LSV and no MCs.  Im guessing the X23 would have done well as well.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Hard for them to place in the top ten list, if they weren't even there.

Bonehead move on the dealers part, IMO. The X23 and XT23 would have definitely ranked well.

We're they even invited?  Why would MC not show up for something like this?  Maybe Zane Swank or whatever his name is fell asleep at the helm :rofl:

5 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

To me it has gotten to the point where basically every new boat out there surfs well.  

These ratings are meaningless.  Buy what you like and I'm sure it will surf fine.

That would imply "best" is subjective.  And who doesn't enjoy a good urinating match.

32 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

That would imply "best" is subjective.  And who doesn't enjoy a good urinating match.

I'm all for a good pissing match if there is some decent data.  This is subjective garbage.  

I'm more concerned about the STEAM coming from the moomba and the Centurion in that video.  I hate steam.

• Like 4
On 5/25/2017 at 3:23 PM, pauley71 said:

all the boats wheres Manufacturer/Dealer boats and they where allowed to set up the boat as they wished.  The MXZ had extra lead in it and the M235 had ballast bags which I don't understand why they set it up that way.  Other boats as well had extra bags and probably lead.

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

I'm all for a good pissing match if there is some decent data.  This is subjective garbage.  

I'm more concerned about the STEAM coming from the moomba and the Centurion in that video.  I hate steam.

The Centurion you definately got the exhaust in the face on several occasions but they did not have a surf pipe/AFE on the exhaust.

23 minutes ago, ah2oguy said:

The Centurion you definately got the exhaust in the face on several occasions but they did not have a surf pipe/AFE on the exhaust.

I don't understand why they would not have done the FAE, the centurion solution is awesome.   However even with it the boat does create a lot of steam.    With the FAE you only get it at idle.