Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 malibu 247 ballast

Afastmotorider

Ok guys on my 2007 malibu 247 with factory quad tank ballast setup and a suck gate. I can't seem to get a sweet spot to surf,how much more ballast do I need and where or do I need a new suck gate?the one I bought on flea bay is made at a 90 degree angle the seller has 45 degree angle gates also but said the 90 is better for my boat any input would help I'm stuck on surfing.thanks 

I have a 2007 VLX and I run and additional 750 in each locker with 650 triangle in the bow and wicked surfgate. Wedge up 2-4 clicks at 11 - 11.6 and if short on breathing ballast, keep the fuel full. Funny things I can run only additional weight with no stock and see almost the same performance. I drop the stock when picking up at the dock. Much easier to manuver. Also much easier to install reversible pumps the first time. Wakemakers will hook you up and use the discount code.  

You will need more than stock ballast to get a good wave.

With my GSA setup on my 247, I have Wakemakers lbs 910# bags. 45x25wx20h. Fits perfectly.

I also added 1000# fatsac triangle in bow this year. Really keeps the nose down. (Much better than the 400# walkway bag).

I got 500# of lead also, mostly in the rear. All factory ballast, Wedge up 2 clicks. 11.6mph

8 minutes ago, Afastmotorider said:

what do you mean by wedge up 2 clicks?does that mean lower wedge all the way then push the up bottom 2 times real quick?

All the way down, then 2 marks back up on the gauge. (They changed the gauge a couple times so it can be a little confusing)

I have an '07 247 ... I surf a shallow river ... approrox 25-30 feet deep.  My set up is full stock ballast plus 900 pounds in both back corners, another 750 pounds up front and if I'm running with less than 6 people, a750 on the floor.

I installed the wake logic system, so I am not using a suck gate ... but you will need much more ballast to sink that bad boy.

Stick with it and play. It's taken me almost 3 years but now my wake seriously rivals a loaded m235.  Been out with the dealer several times and they can't believe it. Mind you the 235 doesn't need the blad on the floor but for a 100k premium I'll survive with the bag.

13 hours ago, holden said:

I have an '07 247 ... I surf a shallow river ... approrox 25-30 feet deep.  My set up is full stock ballast plus 900 pounds in both back corners, another 750 pounds up front and if I'm running with less than 6 people, a750 on the floor.

I installed the wake logic system, so I am not using a suck gate ... but you will need much more ballast to sink that bad boy.

Stick with it and play. It's taken me almost 3 years but now my wake seriously rivals a loaded m235.  Been out with the dealer several times and they can't believe it. Mind you the 235 doesn't need the blad on the floor but for a 100k premium I'll survive with the bag.

Wedge and speed settings? Pics/vid?

• Like 1

I'll get some video and pix up on the site (I can't seem to add from my iPhone using the mobile website)

i generally run about 12.2-12.5 mph ... depends a little on the wind and current.

no wedge when surfing drivers side ... find because of prop rotation it doesn't help.

when surfing passenger, I'm rwo clicks from top ... but for newer surfers either no wdge or full wedge. Full wedge gives a slightly bigger wave  it not as steep. Therefore they find it easier to find the pocket. For true beginners or very light individuals I run no wedge and it's still a sick wake.