Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Taking on Water

My sporster did the same thing, only when cruising just fast enough for water to hit the bottom of the rub rail. I chased it and chased it but eventually gave up. I just tried to stay away from that speed and ensure I didn't slow don fast and let the wave catch me.

On 7/24/2017 at 4:01 PM, mackie12 said:

My sporster did the same thing, only when cruising just fast enough for water to hit the bottom of the rub rail. I chased it and chased it but eventually gave up. I just tried to stay away from that speed and ensure I didn't slow don fast and let the wave catch me.

Not sure if that's the problem but I was taught this when I was first learning to drive...don't chop the throttle, but ease back on it somewhat slowly because it lessens the large pitch change and keeps the large wave behind you until it gets small enough that no water will come over the transom.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Not sure if that's the problem but I was taught this when I was first learning to drive...don't chop the throttle, but ease back on it somewhat slowly because it lessens the large pitch change and keeps the large wave behind you until it gets small enough that no water will come over the transom.

Yep, I've even seen this happen on a big G23!

2 hours ago, formulaben said:

Huh....makes sense....wish i was taught this.........

• 1 month later...

I have tried steadily slowing down along with a slight right turn since passenger corner is where the water comes in...neither have a significant impact. Next step is taking off the back seat and trying to pinpoint the problem. 

I was also giving the advice to use a hanger to try and clear the vent holes that may be preventing water on the other side of my stringer to get to the center cavity of the boat. 

This will get solved. 

• 4 weeks later...

update, i filled the boat with water while on the trailer...no leaks. I ended up calling Malibu and spoke to Dan along with another individual i know that rebuilt a Mastercraft. I am trying to eliminate every possibility without needing to take the back seat off. I was told to check my pitot tube and also my exhaust connection. From the conversations, it doesn't sound like it could be the exhaust since they rest below the floor but my passenger side pitot tube could be sucking in the water at speed and allowing it to pour into the boat. I planned on replacing my speedo already so will see if plugging the line eliminates the problem. Im thinking this should be the issue!

If it was the pitot tube, you'd have a leak under the dash getting your feet wet and/or your speedos wouldn't work right.

Pull the back seat, floor board & the engine cover out of the boat. Get someone to drive for you. Then with a flash light & the boat at speed, start looking under the engine, at the exhaust, cooling hoses, heater lines, drive line, up under the combing pads at the INSIDE of the rubrail, the bolt holes where the swimstep is mounted, etc. Once those interior pieces are out, it should be easier to find the leak.

Speedo doesnt work, what if the line was cut or torn where is enters the hull? My only thought here is that fact that i feel like i would get water on the floor while the boat was running if this was the case. Why does water just splash up or in as i stop? 

My 95 Response was taking on quite a bit of water.  The bottom of one of the fiberglass exhaust elbows had worn through.  It really wasn't noticeable at idle, but underway, it poured out at a pretty good rate.

1 hour ago, cgsmakaveli said:

Speedo doesnt work, what if the line was cut or torn where is enters the hull? My only thought here is that fact that i feel like i would get water on the floor while the boat was running if this was the case. Why does water just splash up or in as i stop? 

I think the pitot tubes come into the boat below the floor & then go behind the starboard side combing pads to the dash. Should be easy to trace it & check for leaks.

As for stopping & having water splash in.... are you traveling at speed & then chopping the throttle quickly? It's not unusual for the wake to overtake any boat & come in over the transom. I've seen this on big surf boats too. You have to cut the throttle slower, ease out of it.

Bill, i've tried every method of slowing down, a few others have recommend that too, not a significant impact. Sometimes turning hard right eliminates the issue but not always. 

on my sportster I was fully convinced it was leaking thru the rub rail and slowly "puddling" in the back, once you stopped inertia was causing it "wave" forward and hit my feet (driver). the back 1/3rd of this boat is essentially under water at all times when moving, unless that rub rail is absolutely sealed your going to get water in there.

like you had mentioned, my plan was to remove the rub rail and check the two halves to see how they were sitting and repair as needed then install a new rub rail. However, I deemed this too big of a job for me and accepted the fact that every once in awhile I would get some water in there. 

• 3 weeks later...

well, problem solved. I got the back bench off and it was the speedo line spitting water into the boat. It also had some duct tape on it, seems like the person i bought it from had a problem there. Anyways, bought a GPS speedo, installed it and plugged lines. Problem solved.