Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What will I miss from Malibu or Nautique

aarondouglasdds

8 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I went from 45 hours a year on a jet boat to 200+ per year on a wakesurf boat.  I believe this to be common.  There is also the other side.   My dealer took a 2013 in trade,  for thier new 2017 257.  The 2013 had 80 hours on it.....

have a 2004 wakesetter VLX in our fam with...80 hours as well. :lol:

Some of this is personal preference but in my experience having owned a '14 A22 and a '15 LSV.  

The Malibu will be more comfortable

Have better fit and finish

Have more wake adjustability. PW2 is a HUGE upgrade over the floating wedge

Have better tower options

Have better standard Bimini option

Have a better windshield. Some love the axis windshield. I tried and couldn't

I like the touch screens and technology but there are a lot of people who don't.  

I know that axis has changed a lot in the last two years but for me I still see all of these items being issues.  

My wife put it best - Sure you can save money on an axis (we did love ours, issues and all) but if it's not what you want, why talk yourself into it?  We couldn't comfortably afford a Bu when we bought our axis but dreamed of one.  Luckily for us the right deal came along and we were able to move up.  Is it worth it?  In our opinion it's worth every penny.  

7 minutes ago, ID AX said:

Some of this is personal preference but in my experience having owned a '14 A22 and a '15 LSV.  

The Malibu will be more comfortable

Have better fit and finish

Have more wake adjustability. PW2 is a HUGE upgrade over the floating wedge

Have better tower options

Have better standard Bimini option

Have a better windshield. Some love the axis windshield. I tried and couldn't

I like the touch screens and technology but there are a lot of people who don't.  

I know that axis has changed a lot in the last two years but for me I still see all of these items being issues.  

My wife put it best - Sure you can save money on an axis (we did love ours, issues and all) but if it's not what you want, why talk yourself into it?  We couldn't comfortably afford a Bu when we bought our axis but dreamed of one.  Luckily for us the right deal came along and we were able to move up.  Is it worth it?  In our opinion it's worth every penny.  

all of that is true but to be fair, your 14 A22 was the original axis design, and was dated already in 2014, and you're 15 lsv is the very latest design.  That's as stark of a contrast as there is.  The perceived "worth" of a T23 and whatever malibu OP is comparing to will likely be much closer than an original A22 a new design.  

I've had several Axises.  Thought they were great.

OP, know who to ask?  shawndoggy who has had several boats and a T23 now.  See what he says.

32 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

all of that is true but to be fair, your 14 A22 was the original axis design, and was dated already in 2014, and you're 15 lsv is the very latest design.  That's as stark of a contrast as there is.  The perceived "worth" of a T23 and whatever malibu OP is comparing to will likely be much closer than an original A22 a new design.  

I've had several Axises.  Thought they were great.

OP, know who to ask?  shawndoggy who has had several boats and a T23 now.  See what he says.

You are right, as I stated axis has changed a lot in the last 3 MYs but everything on my list is still a difference between current MY axis and Bu.  

Just now, ID AX said:

You are right, as I stated axis has changed a lot in the last 3 MYs but everything on my list is still a difference between current MY axis and Bu.  

all true...just saying the "dated" feel of a 14 A22 to a 15 lsv is different than that for a T23 and a bu.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:36 AM, Fman said:

The only Axis I ever surfed was a T22 and I thought it was a really nice surf wave.  The transfers were definitely more difficult because there was no beeper or lights to help you time them.  You had to watch the gates open and close.

No matter what the warning system or not they will never be the same as the nautique NSS, view my post on the G25 from southern surfest and watch how fast the wave forms, but I did love the t23 wave even without the wedge, ( and super roomy) after fest I understand more than ever the reason for more than 6 figure boats but that's still a rough pill to swallow when I spent 54900 including tandem galvanized trailer before tax for a 14 A20 ordered new in 2013 for the 1st surfgate year of Axis

and remember the point of axis is to not check too many boxes when ordering , but no one listens to that except maybe me

dont forget to chevk

the pop up cleats box all three pairs cause I didn't cause I thought I would get standard cleats that would snag the ski rope, nope none!!!!  I told them return my 10000 deposit check

or put them on at your expense, the dealer did it but they did it on last day possible at plant while build occurring or they would have lost the sale

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 1 month later...

I have 20 hrs on my new '17 T 23. I miss the fit and finish of my Malibu. The Axis is super easy to set up for surfing, drives/handles great and has plenty of power.  Overall I really like it, I guess I got spoiled with all the nice features of the Malibu that the Axis does not have. But just the simplicity of this new boat makes it great! Price was pretty nice too.....!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Agman said:

I have 20 hrs on my new '17 T 23. I miss the fit and finish of my Malibu. The Axis is super easy to set up for surfing, drives/handles great and has plenty of power.  Overall I really like it, I guess I got spoiled with all the nice features of the Malibu that the Axis does not have. But just the simplicity of this new boat makes it great! Price was pretty nice too.....!

Do you miss not having a power wedge 2?  This has always been a deal killer for me on Axis.  We use the PW2 all the time for surfing and wakeboarding...adjusting wakes depending on number of people and weight in the boat.  I could live with the simplicity, fit and finish of Axis but not having that PW2 is a no go.

Edited by Fman

I am hearing more and more power wedge rumors.  I personally can't confirm but a salesman at the dealership did give me a chit eatin grin when I asked.  The biggest problem I see with Axis and is the price is getting way up there.  Of course wed 50% of the boats at the lake were axis

1 hour ago, ID AX said:

I am hearing more and more power wedge rumors.  I personally can't confirm but a salesman at the dealership did give me a chit eatin grin when I asked.  The biggest problem I see with Axis and is the price is getting way up there.  Of course wed 50% of the boats at the lake were axis

I would be surprised, they need to keep some type of feature differences between the two brands.  I cant imagine doing this would help the Malibu brand grow only cut into sales of there premier brand.  Plus it would up the cost even more of the Axis which is definitely not cheap anymore.

Time will tell....:)

1 hour ago, Fman said:

I would be surprised, they need to keep some type of feature differences between the two brands.  I cant imagine doing this would help the Malibu brand grow only cut into sales of there premier brand.  Plus it would up the cost even more of the Axis which is definitely not cheap anymore.

Time will tell....:)

I agree to an extent.  The more I think about the power wedge the more I'm sure they are going to do it.  Two of the biggest complaints i see and hear are that axis is getting expensive compared to what it was and most people want a power wedge.  This would somewhat address both complaints.  Sure the price is probably going to go up 8% - 10% but everyone will be talking about the cool new designs and features.  

6 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

PW2 and Raptor powerplant and  I will buy Axis

I have been saying this for years...I do like the overall look, plush interior, G4 Tower of the LSV but I could live without the touch screens.  I already delete the Malibu stereo as it is.

I don't think they will ever do it, at that point it's a Malibu and not an axis, I need pw2 so I can sac out mine for wakeboarding without propping down, but it wouldn't be a 50000 boat at that point, 21 vlx gives you everything for 80000 snd put big enough sacs in it which folks don't do and that's a killer brand new Malibu cheap fairly loaded probably with s killer surf wave 

im not the one who could ride that sac'd out wake with full wedge but my friends want to!!

i love my fuel consumption with my 1235

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 3 weeks later...

Back to the fit and finish.... On Sunday my switch panel that has has all controls for ballast, bilge, etc... popped off. It was hot and the stereo cranked. Cheap design on it, surprised it lasted this long. Going to put some 3M adhesive tape on it and hope it makes it the remainder of season and have dealer warranty it this winter.