Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 first day on the water

spikew919

55 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

Btw, MC stock (MCFT) opened at $15.97 a share on July 17, 2015.  It's currently sitting at $15.93 a share.

Malibu stock (MBUU) opened at $17.75 a share on January 31, 2014.  It's currently sitting at $23.13 a share.

You need to re include dividend if dividend was paid during this period, otherwise your comparison means nothing.

I took the data with dividend reinvested, happy to be contradicted

45 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

tumblr_o8k28tpDH01s9a9yjo1_500.gif

go back to math 101 or corporate finance 101, you need to include the dividend paid to shareholder.

Sorry you can take your picture back :)

Just now, billjames said:

go back to math 101 or corporate finance 101, you need to include the dividend paid to shareholder.

Sorry you can take your picture back :)

When you opening your boat company?

Perfection boats has a nice ring to it.

28 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I still get some perks, just don't have a dedicated IXFE assembly line just yet.  Give it time.

You have one of these cards, don't you...?

Capture2_zpskdphnrjm.png

They screw me up, my card has 20 entries, men.....

16 minutes ago, thtrog said:

WOW, I never knew why Jack messeged to ask why I didn't order my 7th new Malibu!!!

2009 VLX, 2011 VLX, 2012 22 MXZ, 2013 24 MXZ, 2014 23 LSV, 2015 23 LSV

Your '12 MXZ is still my fav Malibu of all time. That's not hyperbole 

4 hours ago, IXFE said:

Your '12 MXZ is still my fav Malibu of all time. That's not hyperbole 

Wasn't his 2012 MXZ black, red and silver flake?  I'm surprised you liked that one.  Very un-IXFE color scheme.

15 hours ago, billjames said:

They screw me up, my card has 20 entries, men.....

That many boats from Malibu, yet pretty much every post you have made on the board has been negative towards the company.

Can't help but wonder why you have stuck around so long since they seem to be so bad or have so many issues in your opinion.

That or you are a troll from another brand.....

Edited by 23LSVOwner
typos-sausage fingers
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

That many boats from Malibu, yet pretty much every post you have made on the board has been negative towards the company.

Can't help but wonder why you have stuck around so long since they seem to be so bad or have so many issues in your opinion.

That or you are a troll from another brand.....

Looks like you do not understand jokes, poking fun, I guess IXFE does not have a 7th boat for free neither do I have a 20 entries card. There are many fan boys here, which is normal as the web site is dedicated for Malibu owners/fan boys/prospects. But sometime you need to look at your boat without the pink glasses you used when you buy it. I do understand that after pouring between 100K to 200K of dollar for something, you feel better if you persuade yourself that this is the best or have no real drawback. However, when I heard bad stories and the poster is most of the time at fault before proven otherwise, or the advice is to check your boat like crazy before taking delivery and to have a good dealership, something does not fly. Either the dealership is great and you can trust him, either you are wrong in your approach. Having said so, lemon can happen on any brand, including F150 :). Mistake can also happen. I read all the other fan boy web sites and from what I read they are way more open to company mistakes and critics.

As I already said, a few bad stories or reports on forums does not make a statistical trend. However, increase in warranty claim paid ratio over revenue is a factual trend that tends to confirm stories on forums. I do hope that at some point if the quality goes south so much to reach a lost in sales or profit, Malibu will step up their game and correct path. What is annoying is to wait to reach this point to correct path. But as a public company, depending on your board/shareholder/voting right composition, you might have a strong intensive to focus more on top line and/or bottom line, without so much focus on customers. It did happen in the past for some companies.

11 minutes ago, billjames said:

I read all the other fan boy web sites and from what I read they are way more open to company mistakes and critics.

Uh, ever been on Team Talk?  

• Like 2

Bill, you're certainly not referring to other brand-based wakeboat forums are you?  On other forums you get locked and I've heard potentially booted for many of things that go on here.  Can't discuss other brands near the way you can here nor can you criticize anything about the brand, methods, construction, customer service, etc.  

As to warranty claims compared to revenue, I don't know how long you have been around or followed this industry, but it was not long ago that the only thing to even go wrong on a boat was an engine, which was extrememly rare.  Now prices have more than tripled due to the technology on these boats and with the largest manufacturer only making 3500 or so a year, the sample is simply not all that big for perfection.  luxury automobiles have been brought up as a comparison.  You realize that brands like maserati, ferrari, and lamborghini use components from their parent company?  Heck ferrari nav systems until a few short years ago used the same nav system as what came in a dodge truck.  lamborghini components are largely volkswagen.  Malibu, nor any other manufacturer, has ANY support from a parent company for working out the quirks.   In 2017 boats I've seen two recurring issues (and to what extent they are recurring no one knows but Malibu, we just see complaints here) are complete filling after bleeding the cooling system on the M235s w 2 heaters and a stereo amp turn off issue.  Both will be resolved.  As to the warranty ratio issue, everything in these boats is simply more expensive.  Labor is more, replacements are more, and the tech to diagnose is more.  Not surprised a bit in that trend.  

24 minutes ago, billjames said:

Looks like you do not understand jokes, poking fun, I guess IXFE does not have a 7th boat for free neither do I have a 20 entries card. There are many fan boys here, which is normal as the web site is dedicated for Malibu owners/fan boys/prospects. But sometime you need to look at your boat without the pink glasses you used when you buy it. I do understand that after pouring between 100K to 200K of dollar for something, you feel better if you persuade yourself that this is the best or have no real drawback. However, when I heard bad stories and the poster is most of the time at fault before proven otherwise, or the advice is to check your boat like crazy before taking delivery and to have a good dealership, something does not fly. Either the dealership is great and you can trust him, either you are wrong in your approach. Having said so, lemon can happen on any brand, including F150 :). Mistake can also happen. I read all the other fan boy web sites and from what I read they are way more open to company mistakes and critics.

As I already said, a few bad stories or reports on forums does not make a statistical trend. However, increase in warranty claim paid ratio over revenue is a factual trend that tends to confirm stories on forums. I do hope that at some point if the quality goes south so much to reach a lost in sales or profit, Malibu will step up their game and correct path. What is annoying is to wait to reach this point to correct path. But as a public company, depending on your board/shareholder/voting right composition, you might have a strong intensive to focus more on top line and/or bottom line, without so much focus on customers. It did happen in the past for some companies.

You also know that very few people post when they are happy and when people are not happy they scream the loudest?

Welcome to internet forums.

Also, without knowing the actual spend on those warranty dollars you cannot really say that things are worse. Companies spend a TON of money under goodwill. Any lawsuit settlements are dumped into there, etc. You also have to consider that structural lifetime warranty. With the time that Malibu has been building boats there are a metric TON of them out there. Failures happen. I also happen to know several people at the factory.

Just a marine insiders point of view. I've been in the industry for more years than I care to admit, from saltwater to freshwater, 2 million dollar boats to 50k boats. When you are not in the industry and do not understand how everything actually works it's easy to try to throw s*** against the wall. There are those of us who actually know.

• Like 2

I haven't been lurking this forum for all that long. But it has been a great place for information. I've learned a lot, found great ideas, and received a great deal of help. Heck, a lot of the information which led to me jumping ship to Centurion came from this forum. I'm not sure that's a good sign for Malibu, but still great that these topics can be discussed here. Every brand following seems to have a different attitude. I quite like the people I've met in the Malibu circle. In an effort to stick a little more on topic, I can't say that anybody will ever convince me that some of these QC issues we are hearing about on these M235's are acceptable. Nothing's perfect and things happen. It still isn't acceptable though. And it shouldn't have to be given the price folks such as @spikew919 likely paid for their boat. Again, no manufacturer is perfect, but that doesn't make QC issues OK. Seeing consistent issues such as levels not being topped up and loose hose clamps on what is supposed to be a "Flagship" boat just shouldn't be happening. These owners will likely spend the next few outings on their new boats wondering what else was overlooked. These issues should've been caught at the dealer level during PDI. Realistically the boats never should've left the factory in that condition though. Keeping things fair and going back to the OP's original issue, I can't see anyway that his coolant leak could've been prevented. It obviously wasn't leaking like that during the lake test given the nature of the leak. Pin hole leaks in coolant hoses can come out of nowhere. That one is literally a stroke of bad luck. So is hitting a log and bending your prop. Those can't be a reflection on Malibu's QC. I agree with those that gave flack for knocking Malibu before knowing the root of the problem. I disagree with saying that loose hose clamps and improper fluid levels upon delivery of a $150K USD + is acceptable. Especially when it has happened more than once. Same goes for zip ties and wires etc. being left in the boat. Clean up your damn mess and take some pride in the job you are being paid to do, and the product you are producing. That's not acceptable in a Bayliner, 16' Crestliner, or even a paddleboat for that matter. So why should it be acceptable in a $100K + "Handbuilt" boat.  When we take delivery of our Ri257 I will be absolutely pissed if I experience any of these issues. You gents will be the first to know about it if that's the case. That's just my opinion (which I'm aware nobody ever asked for lol).

• Like 3

I don't believe that it's just electronics, that's pushing warranty claims up. I mean just on my boat,  the clamp issue, could have been a bad situation and a trip to dealer, worst case with melted pistons or a hefty tow and retrieve job off river, same scenario with hole in heater line, could have been way worse, and two places sea deck has to be removed to get to screws not tightened so panel floppy.  Anti skid tape peeling up, one over half rolled up due to not wiping dust off before putting antiskid decal down.  Just seems if they would do it right the first time, would cost them a lot less than dealer having to go behind them.  

Just my opinion.