Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 first day on the water

spikew919

Let's push further the facts:

According to Malibu the value of warranty claims paid over the last 3 years went from a ratio of 12.58 to 13.84 to 14.88 (ratio of warranty paid to revenue). So assuming most of the warranties are claimed in the same year as revenue is recognized, the trend is clearly increasing. What is interesting is that they can come back to their financials and increase the amount of warranty claims paid in earlier years. It does happen between the 2015 financials and the 2016 financials for the warranty claims paid in 2015. So maybe the warranty claim paid has to be recognized the same year the sales is recognized (my assumption above).

Whatever they are doing at the factory, the warranty cost is increasing. Men, do we have facts for the argument that their quality is going down, independent of the OP issues.

5 minutes ago, billjames said:

Let's push further the facts:

According to Malibu the value of warranty claims paid over the last 3 years went from a ratio of 12.58 to 13.84 to 14.88 (ratio of warranty paid to revenue). So assuming most of the warranties are claimed in the same year as revenue is recognized, the trend is clearly increasing. What is interesting is that they can come back to their financials and increase the amount of warranty claims paid in earlier years. It does happen between the 2015 financials and the 2016 financials for the warranty claims paid in 2015. So maybe the warranty claim paid has to be recognized the same year the sales is recognized (my assumption above).

Whatever they are doing at the factory, the warranty cost is increasing. Men, do we have facts for the argument that their quality is going down, independent of the OP issues.

Warranty costs are also proportional to production increases. They go hand in hard. What are the production numbers of those 3 years compared to the costs. Weigh costs with units produced to see more of an accurate picture.

23 minutes ago, WAwinegrapes said:

The shire reminds me of the dark side, where the force is strong and not for the weak of mind!

Few return after entering the dark side!

What know you of the Darkside?  

Sorry couldn't resist...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Yeah I've seen kids working at oil changes places give cars that 20 something check list that numbers are pretty much identical every vehicle. And stand back and watch. They changed the oil. And filled out papers ?? Just saying 

Have you done a tour recently?

Just now, Chattwake said:

Perhaps its getting more expensive to fix boats as they become more complicated and advanced?

this is the reason I give the ratio over revenue, revenue is higher because boats are more expensive. Good thinking, but I tried to be fair in the comparison and already included the ratio over revenue.

2 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Warranty costs are also proportional to production increases. They go hand in hard. What are the production numbers of those 3 years compared to the costs. Weigh costs with units produced to see more of an accurate picture.

Agree and production increase is proportional to revenue increase, this is the reason I give the ratio of warranty claim paid over revenue to try to compare apple to apple.

Just now, 23LSVOwner said:

Have you done a tour recently?

Actually no, but i plan to. But I will say this, I have been in business for over 20 years and if the people lake testing and checking these boats out are not over the age of 35, from my experience their is a high probability they are there because they think they deserve a check. And paper they are filling out on supposed lake test. Is about as good as the charmin in there by my toilet.  How long is this lake test. I mean my boat had .7 hrs on Meter when my dealer got it. How can you test ballast, gps, paddle wheel, and wedge, surf system and drain it all and be comprehensive in like 40 minutes??   I'm not smelling what they are stepping in with those numbers. They just add up.  

2 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

I wonder if Malibu internalizing the costs of trailer related warranty repairs has affected the 2016 numbers.

good point,

First answer it will not impact 2015 and 2014

Second answer as they did not produce the trailers in 2015, 2014, the revenue was lower as they have to reduce the cost of acquisition of those trailer directly from the revenue. So overall it should not impact the ratio the way you see it.

However, to your point, if the warranty claim paid on a trailer is higher proportional to sales price than for a boat: yes it does increase the overall ratio I computed. knowing that the price of a trailer is 10% at max than the price of a boat, I guess, even if the warranty ratio for trailer is 30% more expensive than for a boat, it will not move the needle a lot. Moreover, I guess trailer are not so much prob to issue as not as technical or advanced than modern wakeboat.

To conclude good point, but I would be surprised that it will move the needle on the ratio.

Edited by billjames
  • Like 1
WAwinegrapes
15 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

Perhaps its getting more expensive to fix boats as they become more complicated and advanced?

When I ordered our 1998 LX.  the options were NO WHERE NEAR what they are nowadays.  Cost was $22,500 for Polo Green LX with 2 accent strips!! with monsoon and tandem trailer.  Can't recall what all the options were, but no where close to what there are for a new boat now!

In fact, the LS3 in our 2010 was more than any and all options on that 1998 LX!  Amazing how much boats cost nowadays.

Nowadays the options can be more than the price of an entire boat back in 1998.

What about the vendors that are no longer in business?

Edited by WAwinegrapes
WAwinegrapes
8 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

So much sarcasm and history in one thread.... a new TMC member would read this and think you all are certified crazy

Even going as far as thinking some members are bat sheet crazy!

Or have hung out in the shire a tad too long!

WAwinegrapes
50 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I bet you that if you call the factory up with your HIN they can tell you who lake tested it, the GPS speed, oil pressure, temp, etc.

I've seen the paperwork they keep.

Can't all that info be obtained via the diacom?  So a QC person can download or look at the diacom results without ever actually inspecting the boat, hoses, etc.

48 minutes ago, WAwinegrapes said:

The shire reminds me of the dark side, where the force is strong and not for the weak of mind!

Few return after entering the dark side!

I visited the shire..... 

I lost my sunglasses and ruptured my ear drum but my mind was unharmed.   

3 minutes ago, WAwinegrapes said:

Can't all that info be obtained via the diacom?  So a QC person can download or look at the diacom results without ever actually inspecting the boat, hoses, etc.

Not that I have seen. For there to be results in diacom the engine has to have been ran also.

28 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

I wonder if Malibu internalizing the costs of trailer related warranty repairs has affected the 2016 numbers.

I would suspect this would only help things.   They get to add ~$10k to revenue and based on my experience, trailer issues are few and minor when they do occur.  So huge revenue gain and small warranty costs.  I mean I have had a couple bad LED and a couple jacks, between my last 3 boats.  Total would be less than any of the gel work,  the tranny replacement, the engine compression failure, etc.type repairs.  

Edited by DarkSide
14 minutes ago, WAwinegrapes said:

QC person!!! This guy gets the joke of the day award right here ?????? he said QC person ??????    

Wait, it was too far? I really couldn't stop myself 

??‍♂️Was me I did it! I'm putting myself in time out now 

Edited by spikew919
  • Like 2
WAwinegrapes
12 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I visited the shire..... 

I lost my sunglasses and ruptured my ear drum but my mind was unharmed.   

It like taking a trip and never leaving the farm!    from Jim Stafford and his hit Wildwood Weed!

WAwinegrapes
1 minute ago, spikew919 said:

QC person!!! This guy gets the joke of the day award right here ?????? he said QC person ??????    

Wait, it was too far? I really couldn't stop myself 

??‍♂️Was me I did it! I'm putting myself in time out now 

NOt sure what the TOUs are.  But you stepped waaaay over the line!  ha ha

I know Malibu has QC people.  Not sure what the do, but they do have QC people. Most likely the QC people, when not doing QC stuff, are the safety people, and when not doing safety stuff, they do something else.

But I am dating myself going back to the days of Mike Sanchez and the other yahoo that replaced Mike, but did not last too long. ANd when Malibu made boats at the Merced plant!

Just now, WAwinegrapes said:

NOt sure what the TOUs are.  But you stepped waaaay over the line!  ha ha

I know Malibu has QC people.  Not sure what the do, but they do have QC people. Most likely the QC people, when not doing QC stuff, are the safety people, and when not doing safety stuff, they do something else.

But I am dating myself going back to the days of Mike Sanchez and the other yahoo that replaced Mike, but did not last too long. ANd when Malibu made boats at the Merced plant!

Was that the Blake guy?

WAwinegrapes
52 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Not that I have seen. For there to be results in diacom the engine has to have been ran also.

Which is what they do when they drop the boat in the water.   They run that boat up and down the lake like they stole it....WOT and then some!

WAwinegrapes
24 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Was that the Blake guy?

Ya!  Blake was his name.  One of the best things Malibu ever did was letting him go!  2nd only to letting Mike Sanchez go!  Some of the stories I could tell you!

10 minutes ago, WAwinegrapes said:

Which is what they do when they drop the boat in the water.   They run that boat up and down the lake like they stole it....WOT and then some!

So why would they "cheat" the paperwork by dumping diacom info when they have to run the boat to get the info on there.