Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acid Based Hull Cleaners on Fiberglass

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, sunvalleylaw said:

Oh, ok.  We don't have a winch on ours.  I guess I could add one.  We do kinda the same thing but power on for the last 1.5-2.  But it makes me nervous.  Would rather winch.  

:crazy: How do you secure the bow?

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

:crazy: How do you secure the bow?

Doh!  Ok, I am a complete idiot this morning.  Yes there is a winch.  It is the safety chain I am used to that is missing.  The prior owner just did not use the winch and showed me how he powered on the last 1.5-2 instead of using the winch.  And it seems to be how most people do it at our local ramps.  I may say screw it and use your method unless I am in some big hurry and am pulling alone.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I'm gonna vote Busted on this one.  I've got the Snaptraxx on the lift, and the boat on the lift, and I'm a paranoid SoB when it comes to the boat so I hooked some winch straps up to the bow ring and the dock piers and started winching away.  I'm not a wimp and that boat did not budge at all. And before I did it I even waxed the Snaptraxx (don't laugh the reason is below), and still no budge.  I'm going to make the supposition that the hydro-hoist got bounced around a lot by that wind and wave action and significantly contributed to that story.

One more time, slowly. It was a Nyman hydraulic lift, not a hydrohoist. No bouncing from the waves, it sits on the lake bottom. Wish I had pictures of it to show you.

• 5 months later...
ahopkins22LSV

Follow up to our situation this summer. So the launch reopening was delayed by over a month because the dnr didn't order enough new concrete slabs. SMH. Whatever. So my plan of having the boat out of the water just after Labor Day didn't happen. Pulled it yesterday though after being in the water since the beginning of June. I did pull it a few times during the summer to clean and rewax. But hadn't been able to since mid July. I did keep the water line wiped down as much as possible while in the water. 

So here it was after pulling it :cry:

IMG_2065.thumb.JPG.6d7aa2099cf366052ec3822bae391334.JPG

IMG_2064.thumb.JPG.24e76dc1cf755219b3699679b8384daf.JPG

And after some major elbow grease and a bottle of the works toilet bowl cleaner. I know I know, it strips the wax. I only used it on the white and the bottom of the boat. Then I did a coat of speed gloss on everything. Again I know, not the best wax but the boat will be inside soon where I will do a full polish and wax. Was able to scrub the blue down with just soap and water. Will have to polish out a few spots, but I'm happy on how it cleaned up. 

IMG_2066.thumb.JPG.66e721daa3a8d3abb73a1a539589c700.JPG

IMG_2067.thumb.JPG.9fbcffcccf2c40feb9003bc0005d4b53.JPG

So it wasn't horrible and no gel blisters, but I'm happy the launch is re-opened and to trailer every time again!

• Like 1

I need to get on this project on my boat.  But it is already cold outside except during the middle of the day, and the boat will be under the shed roof off the garage and not inside, so will not be nice and warm to wax.  May have to leave it until spring again.  Summer went way too fast.