Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got weighed with the 23LSV today

hethj7

Went through the scales today just to see. 13,200 lbs. Can't recall how much fuel was left in the boat before winter layup, but it was empty of all summer gear (batteries were in). Tow vehicle was 2012 F150 4x4 Screw with ecoboost and 5.5' bed and 3/4 tank of fuel.  I would ignore axle weights  - no way are they right and I wasn't lined up on the scale  

71D8FBC8-F6D3-41AE-8F0B-751D792E3133_zps

I can't really argue with the scale, but that seems heavy.  I weighed my 2014 23LSV before I bought it.  6050 pounds.  I figure I am around 6500 full of fuel ready for the lake.  That would mean your truck is 6800 pounds.  Sounds heavy for a F150.

Hmm, truck is listed at 5,700 lbs (I think) plus me at 175 plus gas at 160 lbs = 6,035 lbs.  Probably another hundred pounds in it with other fluids and a few items in the cab.  

Frankly, my mileage was as bad as I have ever had today, which is one reason I pulled on the scales.   It didn't feel heavier towing but the tranny seemed to downshift more, but that could have been the headwind as well.   

Not many changes from '14 to '16 I would think  affect weight that much - Ford motor?, Malibu trailer? 

Heck, there could be a hundred pounds in options and stuff between our boats - PW2, 15" screen, 3rd cleats, STE exhaust, G3.2 tower, I just added another bow ballast reversible pump, cover was on, heater, etc.  I assume you have dual batteries, 3 amps, and other "standard" items   

I've weighed my 2015 23lsv many times and I am 6512lbs weighed on a cat scale on just the trailer axles while connected to truck. So only thing I am missing is tongue weight. Figure 400 to 500lbs tongue weight so I'm right around 7000lbs lake ready with half to 3/4 tank of fuel. 

9 hours ago, riggowrestler said:

I have alway wondered the "true dry weight" vs a wet boat (carpet, vest, etc)  and what the difference would be.

I always figure 400 lbs extra for stereo and other gear left in boat. Add another 300 lbs for gas and your up 700 from the 4500lbs listed for a 23LSV. 5200 total. What I don't know is how Malibu establishes the 4500 lbs. Nautique states their listed weight is a boat with all factory options. Malibu does not state how their boat weights are established. If it's a boat with zero options the actual weight could be higher. Let's not even get into the issue of towing a boat full of lead!

ahopkins22LSV
23 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

I always figure 400 lbs extra for stereo and other gear left in boat. Add another 300 lbs for gas and your up 700 from the 4500lbs listed for a 23LSV. 5200 total. What I don't know is how Malibu establishes the 4500 lbs. Nautique states their listed weight is a boat with all factory options. Malibu does not state how their boat weights are established. If it's a boat with zero options the actual weight could be higher. Let's not even get into the issue of towing a boat full of lead!

I am fairly certain Malibu's dry weight is BONE stock. Tower, SG, wedge, stereo, any tower accessories are not included.

Don't know about our boat company's but Motorcycles, Snowmobiles things that they must have are dry weight without thing you just need to even use them. Gas, Oil, handlebars, ski's common I wish things were weighed with at least the equipment you need to run them!      

What do they have to hide? On this site, I assume taken from the manual, it says my 98 vlx should weigh 2,900 lbs. I took it to the cat scale and it weighs 4,100lbs with 1/2 -3/4 tank of fuel. Add a few hundred more for the tongue weight too. Yes, I know some of that is the trailer but certainly not 1,200 lbs. Is it kind of like automotive companies claiming horsepower? Not having accurate weight is a much bigger deal than the accurate horsepower reading. Is there anyone that polices this? 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
Just now, BlindSquirrel said:

What do they have to hide? On this site, I assume taken from the manual, it says my 98 vlx should weigh 2,900 lbs. I took it to the cat scale and it weighs 4,100lbs with 1/2 -3/4 tank of fuel. Yes, I know some of that is the trailer but certainly not 1,200 lbs. Is it kind of like automotive companies claiming horsepower? Not having accurate weight is a much bigger deal than the accurate horsepower reading. Is there anyone that polices this? 

It's been posted on here that actual weights of trailers are ~900-950 for a single axle and ~1100-1200 for a tandem. So your number should be close factoring in ~20-30 gallons of gas and other fluids. Actually lighter than I thought it would be at 4100 total. 

• Like 1

My 2006 VLX is listed as 3,600 pounds in the brochure (and in the resources).  I've always figured that was dry weight of a base boat (no fuel, no oil, no batteries, no stereo, no wedge, no ballast, no tower or any other options).  In 2006, a tower was an option, so I wouldn't expect it to be included in the stated weight number.  I've always figured that loaded, fueled and on the trailer, it's pushing 7,000 pounds.

Edit:  The sticker on the trailer says 4,100 lbs. max capacity and GVWR is 5,500.  I guess it's a lot lighter than I thought.

Edited by nlouthan