Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 23 LSV Walk Through Window Shatters

bbattiste247

9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Confused if this is a 16 issue or pre 16 issue how do you confirm? I don't need a window landing on a brand new infant!! 

My window fell through but did not shatter. I saw it fall and we took it back to the dock at idle. Had I not noticed when it fell through and continued to bounce in the chop I suspect it would have shattered as the center panel is pinned and hull flex bends it. The ones that shattered probably did not notice it had dropped. Very easy to miss it. The bottom corner is also likely to damage the upholstery on the tight side panel. Mine had to be replaced.

Edited by Sailvi767
1 hour ago, Sailvi767 said:

My window fell through but did not shatter. I saw it fall and we took it back to the dock at idle. Had I not noticed when it fell through and continued to bounce in the chop I suspect it would have shattered as the center panel is pinned and hull flex bends it. The ones that shattered probably did not notice it had dropped. Very easy to miss it. The bottom corner is also likely to damage the upholstery on the tight side panel. Mine had to be replaced.

what does the fix look like ?

13 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

what does the fix look like ?

No idea, they worked up under the observers storage area. Carpet was put back and I did not pull it back down. Boat is sold so can't check it now. The factory told me about the fix when I called them about the issue. 

On a positive not my dealer has sold probably 85-100 Malibus over the last couple years they have not reported one incident with this happening.  I just tinted my windows last week, nice to know it will help hold the glass if that window ever shatters.  It's hard to believe there would be that much hull flex to actually cause a window to fall through the channel and break.  I will definitely be keeping an eye on it this season.

Looking at my prior 2015 and the new 2017 design it appears the 2017 design has been upgraded.  Feels like the channel is stronger and frame is larger which you would think would equate to a stronger frame system.

23 hours ago, Lees23 said:

Where are you that can't surf?

It was just me and a friend of mine on the boat, so we had to find a place where we wouldn't get caught without a spotter. I got a ticket last season for $203.00.

48 minutes ago, Fman said:

On a positive not my dealer has sold probably 85-100 Malibus over the last couple years they have not reported one incident with this happening.  I just tinted my windows last week, nice to know it will help hold the glass if that window ever shatters.  It's hard to believe there would be that much hull flex to actually cause a window to fall through the channel and break.  I will definitely be keeping an eye on it this season.

Looking at my prior 2015 and the new 2017 design it appears the 2017 design has been upgraded.  Feels like the channel is stronger and frame is larger which you would think would equate to a stronger frame system.

We don't think it was caused from flex. After looking at it more closely, we discovered there is a very sharp pointy hard piece of metal sticking up where the glass rests. It appears to be excess metal that was not filed or shaped properly. It acted like a spike that shatters glass. I'll take it to my dealer on Tuesday and see if they agree.

23 hours ago, RTS said:

Dealing with the broken safety glass situation in my wife's new company car.  She can't get over the fact that the thieves didn't know the purse sitting on the front seat in plain view was empty before they busted the window and took it.  :stupid:

Anyway, you will be finding pieces of that glass forever.  Good thing is that it is tempered, so won't slice the crap out of someone if they step on it or sit on a piece.  Still a nuisance, though.

We are still finding glass and it does cut. I had a piece stick me and my finger bleed profusely.

5 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

We don't think it was caused from flex. After looking at it more closely, we discovered there is a very sharp pointy hard piece of metal sticking up where the glass rests. It appears to be excess metal that was not filed or shaped properly. It acted like a spike that shatters glass. I'll take it to my dealer on Tuesday and see if they agree.

Pictures would be great so all of us can take a look and make sure we don't have the same issue going on.

• Like 2

been through some decent chop and i always make sure its latched so it does not rattle wondering if that and perhaps a sharp corner would be the issue?

guess i better plan on tinting!

10 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

been through some decent chop and i always make sure its latched so it does not rattle wondering if that and perhaps a sharp corner would be the issue?

The window was latched, but we are almost sure that the window was punctured. On the driver's side, where the window rests...this part had been damaged by a machine or something leaving a hard piece of metal protruding up just about an eighth of an inch. The choppy conditions forced more weight on the window and the metal piece probably punctured it, causing it to shatter.

2 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

The window was latched, but we are almost sure that the window was punctured. On the driver's side, where the window rests...this part had been damaged by a machine or something leaving a hard piece of metal protruding up just about an eighth of an inch. The choppy conditions forced more weight on the window and the metal piece probably punctured it, causing it to shatter.

On your initial post you stated the window fell through. Is that not the case? Now it sounds like you are saying it just shattered so it's a bit confusing. The hull flexing and the center section dropping under the right side windshield is what I and others have had happen.

51 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

On your initial post you stated the window fell through. Is that not the case? Now it sounds like you are saying it just shattered so it's a bit confusing. The hull flexing and the center section dropping under the right side windshield is what I and others have had happen.

Yes, it fell and shattered. Initially we didn't know why because we were too busy cleaning it up. But upon further investigation, after I wrote this, we discovered a sharp piece of metal that MAY be the culprit. But when the window shattered, the frame gave way and went below the the windshields. We are not sure if it fell through shattering it, or if it shattered first and ended up on the down side. I think it is was the metal frame that is damaged causing it. 

6 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Latching will not help with the issue of the window dropping through since the latches are on the bottom. 

Guess I've been reading wrong .. thought the frame was shifting on the middle window and dropping it out. But slipping under drivers side makes more sense although seems like it would take a lot of shifting .

I wonder if a small "U" clip over where the frame is at top between them could be a safety measure. Cut a small 1-1.25" PVC pipe and cut it  about 4" long and cut out some of the side to make a small clamp u can slide back and forth to hold in case of a shift in chop.. might be my baby safety clip this year.. 

There is a U bar laminated into the deck that is supposed to stop the walk through from opening up. If it isn't shimmed correctly this can happen.

Directly from the Service bulletin issued for this. If your dealer hasn't performed this before selling the boat shame on them.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

There is a U bar laminated into the deck that is supposed to stop the walk through from opening up. If it isn't shimmed correctly this can happen.

Directly from the Service bulletin issued for this. If your dealer hasn't performed this before selling the boat shame on them.

^^^^^ this

However, if this has been happening since 2016, and the OP is doing break in hours on a 2017, shouldn't the factory have fixed it by now?  

34 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

^^^^^ this

However, if this has been happening since 2016, and the OP is doing break in hours on a 2017, shouldn't the factory have fixed it by now?  

I think the date range was for late 2016 and early production 2017 model boats. Unfortunately it's been a while since I saw the SB at my dealer.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
7 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

This is what was done on my 2016 VLX to solve the issue. My 2017 LSV was delivered today so hopefully the fix and shims are in the boat.

3 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

This is what was done on my 2016 VLX to solve the issue. My 2017 LSV was delivered today so hopefully the fix and shims are in the boat.

Is it quieter?:)

1 hour ago, Sailvi767 said:

The boat is quieter then my 2016. I should however qualify that since the new boat has a surfpipe and the 2016 did not.

I don't want to thread jack but how much quieter?  I was reading on another thread that the '16's are very loud at <3000 rpm and that the 17's are quieter.  How much of a difference does the surfpipe make?  Do you noticed a decreased tranny noise over your '16?  I currently have '17 22 VLX with a surfpipe waiting for me.

Thx