Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 20 to 21 market options

shot

I'm selling my 2008 VTX and may get a new 20 to 21 toy. 
Locking into Supra GS; MC XT 21; VLX21; VTX
Well we do a little open water slalom and no wake surf. 
What I'm very worry about the new BU is the tough screen only operation. Supra and MC looking more balanced here.

any thoughts?
thx

ahopkins22LSV

The new screens in the Malibu's are awesome. They are well laid out and very easy to use. There were a few early on gremlins with the screens in 2015 but they were sorted out with software updates. The 2017's should be pretty stout.

In your current list the VTX will be the nicest boat out of all of them imo but the new 21 VLX is a very nice boat a good price. It performs really well in the wake and wave category for a 21. Not sure how the slalom wake is though. To be honest supra has not been impressive over the past few years and the XT 21 is new this year but the Mastercraft's I have been on in the past few years haven't performed nearly as well on the water as the Malibu and nautiqes I've been in. Not a huge fan of the styling of recent years for Mastercraft either. To be honest with you, I'd add the Nautique GS20 to your list. It will be more then the Malibu's and supra but seems as if it will fit your needs.

Best bet with any purchase is get out and review the boats on your list in person. It's boat show season so it's a good time to do that and then demo the ones you are still interested in so you know how they perform on the water. 

Shot if you're a footer given your profile, definitely test your options.  Everything is getting heavier.  VTX "should" still be the fastest hull provided you have the right prop.  Some others I'd be shocked if they could break 36-38 mph.  Note that the 2017 VTX has a different tranny than the 2016s so any reviews on here about top speed and propwash will be improved over 2016.

Like hop said, don't worry about the touchscreens.  Your concern will be absolved in favor of "this is freaking BA" after you use it for an hour.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Well we are Hydrofoiling more than 80% of the time on boat hours.
Slalom and footing few times not as often as in the past.
It is clear that a vtx as the smallest in this line may nice to do it all and well.
But more space in the boat is nice too.
The XT21 is bacically a X10 form the past years an it looks very solid (boat show).
It had a short testdrive in the Supra SR last year but the lake was unlikely windy.
The SR handels very well like a BU too. 
Any reviews about the VLX21 with diamond hull seen?  

thx

1 hour ago, shot said:

Well we are Hydrofoiling more than 80% of the time on boat hours.
Slalom and footing few times not as often as in the past.
It is clear that a vtx as the smallest in this line may nice to do it all and well.
But more space in the boat is nice too.
The XT21 is bacically a X10 form the past years an it looks very solid (boat show).
It had a short testdrive in the Supra SR last year but the lake was unlikely windy.
The SR handels very well like a BU too. 
Any reviews about the VLX21 with diamond hull seen?  

thx

One will be coming soon :biggrin: .  Leaving for Loudon in 4 hours.

We have no Sanger Dealer so that may be difficult.

Locking at specifications a new VLX 21 is right between a VTX and other options like XT21 / Supra SR .

Any review about a 2017 VLX 21 with diamond hull would be very nice.   

I will tell you in about 3 mos. (frozen lakes) just got a 21 vlx diamond hull with speed prop. I ski and foot and we have a ski nautique 206 currently, but want a v drive for the room and flexibility.

My delivery is 3/13 and we will prob have open water by then with the abnormal warm weather but who knows. I want it wet tested by dealer before taking home.

this is what an engineer to dealer to me was sent regarding props. I was concerned due to I could not break 34mph with demo boat, however second demo ( 1 month later)had middle prop and I hit 38 no problem with exremely clean wake. I then went extreme to the speed prop, figured I could always change a prop down if needed. 

As far a comfort items not available all available could be added buy the dealer or ambitious owner. I am doing swim lights and camera on mine. I will get you video / pics of wake and dash once she is wet. Order 9/15 and has been a long wait to say the least.

21 VLX 410 engine 1.5:1 gear

OJ 912 – 43mph 

OJ 948 – 39mph

OJ 945 – 37mph

Note: these speeds are dependent on people, gear and fuel load and assume totally empty ballast.

The 450 with a 1.76 gear

2401 – 45 mph

2277 – 42-43 mph

2249 – 39-40 mph

The biggest difference is that the 450 has a 300prm higher rev limit and is not torque limited like the 410.

Edited by Koeh0083
On 2/26/2017 at 2:00 PM, Koeh0083 said:

My delivery is 3/13 and we will prob have open water by then with the abnormal warm weather but who knows. I want it wet tested by dealer before taking home.

this is what an engineer to dealer to me was sent regarding props. I was concerned due to I could not break 34mph with demo boat, however second demo ( 1 month later)had middle prop and I hit 38 no problem with exremely clean wake. I then went extreme to the speed prop, figured I could always change a prop down if needed. 

As far a comfort items not available all available could be added buy the dealer or ambitious owner. I am doing swim lights and camera on mine. I will get you video / pics of wake and dash once she is wet. Order 9/15 and has been a long wait to say the least.

21 VLX 410 engine 1.5:1 gear

OJ 912 – 43mph 

OJ 948 – 39mph

OJ 945 – 37mph

Note: these speeds are dependent on people, gear and fuel load and assume totally empty ballast.

The 450 with a 1.76 gear

2401 – 45 mph

2277 – 42-43 mph

2249 – 39-40 mph

The biggest difference is that the 450 has a 300prm higher rev limit and is not torque limited like the 410.

You ordered 9/15 and delivery is 3/13? Why would it take that long?

2 hours ago, Roachie said:

You ordered 9/15 and delivery is 3/13? Why would it take that long?

I'm in Minnesota, my dealer did not require me to take delivery (pay in full) during the winter. It was built end of October and has been in storage since arriving around November. It will be unwrapped in the next couple of weeks and will not see liquid water till April probably. it's just my march/April is busy and I want my boat ready for spring and march 13 works pending the test lake they have opens up here in the next couple weeks.

Edited by Koeh0083
11 hours ago, Koeh0083 said:

I'm in Minnesota, my dealer did not require me to take delivery (pay in full) during the winter. It was built end of October and has been in storage since arriving around November. I will be unwrapped in the next couple of weeks and will not see liquid water till April probably, it's just my march/April is busy and I want my boat ready for spring.

Ah... that makes sense. I just ordered a 21 VLX so you had me worried!  :) 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, thelakebum said:

So how is the 2017 21 vlx?  Any feedback would be helpful

You should also look at the SN GS20. It's a very capable all around boat.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, thelakebum said:

So far everything I have read is people are quite happy with theirs. When we had a demo day last year the feedback was good for the wake and wave too. I would be strongly considering it if I was looking at a surf boat right now.

3 hours ago, thelakebum said:

I might not be the best to ask because the VLX is my first inboard. But I love it.  As for feedback, tell me what you're looking for?