Rx4fun

Need help selecting my first (used) Malibu

70 posts in this topic

I started shopping in September for a used Malibu with very similar requirements, and a max budget of $50k. After months of research, a handful of showings, and a couple missed opportunities, I raised my budget to $60k and found a sweet 2010 247 LSV at Memphis Boat Center.  They handled the transaction well, sending me inspection reports, pictures and videos of any issues, a pre-delivery video, and delivery on the date I wanted it. I mention this because one of the biggest barriers to the purchase was not being able to find anything within a couple hours driving distance so getting comfortable with a long distance deal was key. I would definitely make a move sooner than later because the first 70 degree sunny day that you get will bring out all the buyers. 

17 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

https://www.wakemakers.com/wavecontrol

Automated and much cheaper than a new boat by a long shot (can be had for less with the TMC member code and sometimes is on sale).  Kills the whole argument of not being able to steer, though steering isn't THAT bad with a fixed gate, you just have to adjust.  

Wow, they've come a long way in a few years (and FWIW, my boat would flat out NOT turn at idle speeds......maybe others aren't as bad).  That is pretty slick, guess I quit paying attention to the various options when I got my VLX.  That definitely has to open up some options.  Now if only they'd make something that would let my boat put out a ski-able wake (or 67Queen would let me buy a dedicated direct drive!).

18 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

https://www.wakemakers.com/wavecontrol

Automated and much cheaper than a new boat by a long shot (can be had for less with the TMC member code and sometimes is on sale).  Kills the whole argument of not being able to steer, though steering isn't THAT bad with a fixed gate, you just have to adjust.  

I have this on my boat... just awesome.. I need to get new pics of it with it not dialed in.. but:

IMG_20160124_153006555_zpswlh65irf.jpg

This system has been out for around 4 years now.. It is actually Go Surf Assist, but if wake makers sells it then it is wave controller. Ryan is a great guy and he backs his product http://www.gosurfassist.com/ ... This system is a factory install option on MBs

Edited by kerpluxal

18 hours ago, Rx4fun said:

Thanks for the detailed info.

I appreciate it.

Just to be clear.  I'm not worried about fuel economy, but rather burn rate information as a comparison between engine options.

Thanks again.

Youre gonna guzzle gas either way. As Acura said Id estimate between 8-11 GPH.  The bigger the motor, the more it burns at idle but the less it burns loaded.  The guys at The Boarding School told me they pay for the motor upgrade every year with the savings they make in gas usage, granted theyll put 700 hours on a boat, it still is relative.  Not to mention it wont be screaming quite as bad when pulling. 

Sidenote - Learning this stuff gives you a real respect for when youre on other peoples boats.  No matter how many times Ive told people how much gas my boat uses they dont get it.  The average surf set costs me $20.  Get 10 people in the boat and youre looking at an expensive day. 

Edited by 05hammerhead
4 people like this

5 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Youre gonna guzzle gas either way. As Acura said Id estimate between 8-11 GPH.  The bigger the motor, the more it burns at idle but the less it burns loaded.  The guys at The Boarding School told me they pay for the motor upgrade every year with the savings they make in gas usage, granted theyll put 700 hours on a boat, it still is relative.  Not to mention it wont be screaming quite as bad when pulling. 

Sidenote - Learning this stuff gives you a real respect for when youre on other peoples boats.  No matter how many times Ive told people how much gas my boat uses they dont get it.  The average surf set costs me $20.  Get 10 people in the boat and youre looking at an expensive day. 

If you are worried about how much gas these boats suck down, you may want to look at an I/O or other more fuel efficient boats.   These boats are tractors, meant to pull or push lots of water, so fuel efficiency will never be a selling point.

There is a reason the new boats have 40-50+ gallon gas tanks.  Cause they will use that much gas and more in a day.

But for stump pulling torque at low rpm's, the 8.1 is the best.  too bad they stopped putting the 8.1 in boats.

45 minutes ago, MattyICE15 said:

Saw this pop up on my instagram feed earlier. looks clean. Could use some minor upgrades to stereo but that's getting picky. here is the link to the actual site with more pictures:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Malibu-247-PRICE-REDUCTION--for-sale-ventura-California-62611.aspx

Yep, that's the boat to buy.  Only thing that'd make it better would be T3 instead of IX.

2 hours ago, WAwinegrapes said:

If you are worried about how much gas these boats suck down, you may want to look at an I/O or other more fuel efficient boats.   These boats are tractors, meant to pull or push lots of water, so fuel efficiency will never be a selling point.

There is a reason the new boats have 40-50+ gallon gas tanks.  Cause they will use that much gas and more in a day.

But for stump pulling torque at low rpm's, the 8.1 is the best.  too bad they stopped putting the 8.1 in boats.

I think we've discovered that he's not worried, just interested in learning more. At least that's my take. I think it's important to understand what it takes to keep a boat going. That was a bit of an eye opener for me. Well..., that and the amount of hours I actually use the boat each year. Both were about double what I was expecting. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Yep, that's the boat to buy.  Only thing that'd make it better would be T3 instead of IX.

Think so?  With dual captains chairs?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Didn't even notice that as browsed through briefly. Interesting quirk to the design that's for sure... not sure if its a deal breaker but it wouldn't be my first choice.

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Dang!  didn't notice that either.  Still -- seems like there'd be room for dual 15s, right?

4 people like this

6 hours ago, MattyICE15 said:

Saw this pop up on my instagram feed earlier. looks clean. Could use some minor upgrades to stereo but that's getting picky. here is the link to the actual site with more pictures:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Malibu-247-PRICE-REDUCTION--for-sale-ventura-California-62611.aspx

5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Dual captain's chairs would kill it for me.  Dang, other than that it is perfect.  But there are some folks who like them a ton.  If you have a wife with vertigo and she has to face forward, but doesn't want to drive, it works great.  

@Rx4fun I found a 247 in Wisconsin (I assume it's the one you were looking at?) and the deal breaker on that boat for me would be that it doesn't have the factory bow ballast tank.  I know you can add PNP, but I prefer the boats with it built in.  Just my opinion.

I think I am moving towards the 23 LSV 2011 or later.

if the one you are referring to is near Green Bay, it's over priced in my estimation.

For some reason I have a hang up on the 247 for my lake.  I am probably just getting worked up over nothing.  All great boats.

41 minutes ago, Rx4fun said:

I think I am moving towards the 23 LSV 2011 or later.

if the one you are referring to is near Green Bay, it's over priced in my estimation.

For some reason I have a hang up on the 247 for my lake.  I am probably just getting worked up over nothing.  All great boats.

Ah, the scope creep is setting in - nice!

1 person likes this

On 2/9/2017 at 1:14 PM, pedel said:

A couple of other things to consider....I have a 2012 VLX, but I think these apply to the LSV as well.

1.  In 2012 they switched over from 3/4" hoses to 1 1/8" which fills faster.  I know that some early 2012's still had the slower hoses.  

2.  Surf gates are great, but honestly unless you're the 1% who actually switches sides while your'e surfing  a great aftermarket gate (like the Mission Delta that I have) works really well and you'll save a ton.

3.  There is one downside of the newer boats, which is more electronics.  Everything is on touch screens, and their flaky and super expensive to repair.  Mine stopped working with my blower, and they wanted $2,000 to sell me a new screen (I installed a separate manual switch as well).  If you're wakeboarding and changing sides constantly, the touchscreen ballast control is nice.  But if you're surfing with any kind of gate, all you really do is load up all your ballast so the pre-sets become pretty much worthless.  I really thought the touch screens were cool when I bought the boat, but if I could I would definitely go back to regular gauges and manual switches.

4.  With that many people on your boat, I'd also look for one that has the hard walkway section over the engine covers to save your upholstery.  I'm not sure what year's had them with options, but I wouldn't get a boat without it.  Same with snap out carpet.

As far as the  hours conversation goes, I would get a high hours boat that was well maintained in a heartbeat.  As was mentioned above, these engines are made to run for a long time.  You can get a much lower price, and from a resale perspective if you don't put huge hours on it it will probably average out over time.  And if you do, just maintain it well and you'll get a ton of bang for your buck.  Check service records for oil changes, impeller changes, etc.

Beware of 1%ers pedal, not only are we unpredictabily having more fun with remotes , surfing twice as much, or twice as many people in your longer fill times do to our modern technology. We are happily the wave of the future. Don't check the current percentages as well it might scare you. The pluses way out way the minuses when it comes to the surfgate technology. I would look used Axis with surfgate technology and if the unpredictablity scares you or him. Opt out on adding a remote. :rockon: Proud 1%er

1 person likes this

On 2/15/2017 at 11:05 AM, isellacuras said:

I think we've discovered that he's not worried, just interested in learning more. At least that's my take. I think it's important to understand what it takes to keep a boat going. That was a bit of an eye opener for me. Well..., that and the amount of hours I actually use the boat each year. Both were about double what I was expecting. 

That is great! the using the boat 2 times more than what you originally thought part!

Edited by WAwinegrapes

8 hours ago, WAwinegrapes said:

That is great! the using the boat 2 times what you originally thought part!

3 years of drought allowed for year round use. This year...?  Not so much. It's been parked for the last two months. 

10 hours ago, isellacuras said:

3 years of drought allowed for year round use. This year...?  Not so much. It's been parked for the last two months. 

You don't need a Malibu or a boat...you need an ark!!  enough room for all the fruits, nut and flakes in the Sacramento area!!  ha ha

Good to see Oroville is not gonna spring a leak and flood the entire Central Valley!