Rx4fun

Need help selecting my first (used) Malibu

70 posts in this topic

I have a buddy with a 2014 Wakesetter 21 LVX.  I was on it all summer and loved it, as did my family!

I have three boys 6-11 years old.  They are into tubing and some boarding.  I love wake surfing.

We live on a large chain of lakes with deep water.  I figure this is the perfect situation for a fantastic boat.

Here is the question...

I need a boat to replace my 27' pontoon party barge (comfortable seating capacity of >10) and will fit my needs on the water sports side.

I have a 5000lb 30' vertical screw drive lift which should accommodate most of the boats I'm looking at.

It needs to be a V drive.

I can't afford new.  

Perhaps a 2006-2010 23' LSV or similar.  My big problem is not knowing what differences each year / model to stay away from or other factors.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by Rx4fun

06-15 247 lsv 

1 person likes this

If you can provide some more information you'll get lots of educated recommendations.

What's your budget?

Are you able to do your own mods?

How many people will typically be on the boat?

Are you at altitude?

Lake have big waves?

How close is the Malibu dealer (electronics repairs)?

Your buddy has Surfgate.  Do you want that too or are you willing to use a suck gate or install a surf gate?

Here is some additional information regarding what I'm looking for:

My budget: ideally under $50,000 

I should be able to perform moderate skill level modifications.

Number of people routinely in the boat: I have a family of five and a dog and usually have another family of four or five with us. So I'm looking for a boat that seats at least 10 comfortably but occasionally up to 14 or so if possible.

Altitude: about 1300'

Does the lake have big waves: generally no, except from other wakeboard boats. 

I'm within an hour and a half of a Malibu repair facility 

The surf gate question is one that I am interested to have people weigh in on. My buddies boat does have it, but I'm afraid the cost differential to find a boat with it may be out of my price range.

Please feel free to comment on this.

Thanks a lot 

To fit 14 people (or 10 comfortably) in a <$50k boat you're looking at a 247 LSV as @shadetreefab said.  Vintage TBD.  Though that my max out your lift with gas and gear.

If you're not going to have that many people on for long periods of time then the 23 LSV would be good.  Lots available and you can add a suck gate or surf gate if it's 2012 or older.

There are many threads on buying used.  Of course there are trade offs with price, hours, condition, options, engines, etc.

Have fun shopping. FWIW, I kept the party barge.  Mine wasn't worth much (at least no would pay me much for it) but it does have it's uses. :partytime:

The 23 LSV hull was redesigned in 2008 so you'll see a price difference between the 2006-2007's and 2008+ boats, and I'd suggest you'll want the newer hull design for surfing and resale. It surfs well listed or with a suck gate.

Not many boats were built in 2008-2009, and even 2010, so you'll see some interesting pricing out there, and you'll find more options if your budget can handle some scope creep to $60K. The 2006-2007s are easily in your $50K range, with 2008-2009s getting closer to the high end or just over it depending on condition. I just helped a buddy buy a sweet low hour 2010 23 LSV a few weeks ago and he spent close to $60K for a good deal. We saw some 2010s listed in the mid-$50s but looking closer it seemed that low-mid $60s was what people were asking for lower hour and clean boats with decent options. There weren't too many listings out there but prices also tend to go up in the spring at the same time as more boats come up for sale.

2008-2012's are on the same hull, with the control panels and towers being the biggest differences between years. 2010-2012 are essentially the exact same boats since the panels and towers didn't change those years, so price ranges for those years are fairly compressed.

You're looking at $70K or more to get into an early surfgate 23 LSV, which started in 2013.

I agree with 10 being comfortable on the 23 LSV but 14 is pretty crowded.

Edited by NWBU

8 minutes ago, shadetreefab said:

First, with your budget and needs of a large boat, I would definitely look at Axis.

Second, I would steer you away from that 2015 A24.  It has 500+ hours on it.  Was a demo or rental or something down in Florida then the Michigan State wakeboard team's team boat this past summer.  Has a lot of hours and not the TLC most boats get.  However, it is priced to sell due to everything.

1 person likes this

A couple months ago the hold over 16's axis in my area were in your price range. If your doing the payment plan, new boats in my experience have a lower interest rate. Could work out to better monthly payments.

1 person likes this

This is great information!

I really appreciate all the help. Everybody sounds extremely knowledgeable which is just what I was looking for.

2 people like this

Can someone comment on the engine selection for this type of boat?

I was told there were certain motors to stay away from. I see a lot of the monsoon 340 engine in boats I've been looking at online. 

Is there an hour range I should try to stay under while looking at a used boat? 

8.1 change the exhaust riser gaskets every year ( I have gone 2 years on mine)

hammerhead can use a little oil from time to time

if your boating at elevation look for some thing with a upgrade motor

i runn 4500lbs plus wedge at 500' no problem with a prop change

Edited by shadetreefab
Autocorrect hates me

What area of the country are you in?

Monsoon 340/350 is all you need in that era of 23 LSV for your elevation, and it's the most common and a well tested engine. You may have to prop up to something like the ACME 1235 to get the performance you need but that's pretty normal. When I bought my 2008 a few years ago, it still had the original 537 prop, which can't push the passengers or weight you're talking about.

These engines run 1000s of hours with no issues when properly maintained so the hours is more of an indicator to look for potential hard use or wear in the boat (adequate maintenance records, vinyl tears, gelcoat scuffs, etc.). But perception is reality among buyers so you should see higher hour boats discounted accordingly. I certainly would expect a discount if I were shopping for a higher hour boat.

My 2008 had averaged 20 hours/year when I got it, and somewhere in the 30-40/year is pretty normal. You'll see comments about "high-use" being 50-60/year but 100+ is high use in my mind.

Edited by NWBU

Perfect.

For the person who asked what country I live in, I live in the United States in  Northern Wisconsin. 

They asked "What area of the country are you in?"

Markets are regional and seasonal.  They were just trying to help.

1 person likes this

A couple of other things to consider....I have a 2012 VLX, but I think these apply to the LSV as well.

1.  In 2012 they switched over from 3/4" hoses to 1 1/8" which fills faster.  I know that some early 2012's still had the slower hoses.  

2.  Surf gates are great, but honestly unless you're the 1% who actually switches sides while your'e surfing  a great aftermarket gate (like the Mission Delta that I have) works really well and you'll save a ton.

3.  There is one downside of the newer boats, which is more electronics.  Everything is on touch screens, and their flaky and super expensive to repair.  Mine stopped working with my blower, and they wanted $2,000 to sell me a new screen (I installed a separate manual switch as well).  If you're wakeboarding and changing sides constantly, the touchscreen ballast control is nice.  But if you're surfing with any kind of gate, all you really do is load up all your ballast so the pre-sets become pretty much worthless.  I really thought the touch screens were cool when I bought the boat, but if I could I would definitely go back to regular gauges and manual switches.

4.  With that many people on your boat, I'd also look for one that has the hard walkway section over the engine covers to save your upholstery.  I'm not sure what year's had them with options, but I wouldn't get a boat without it.  Same with snap out carpet.

As far as the  hours conversation goes, I would get a high hours boat that was well maintained in a heartbeat.  As was mentioned above, these engines are made to run for a long time.  You can get a much lower price, and from a resale perspective if you don't put huge hours on it it will probably average out over time.  And if you do, just maintain it well and you'll get a ton of bang for your buck.  Check service records for oil changes, impeller changes, etc.

Thanks for the information about the touchscreen.

That has been a concern of mine as well. They are super flashy but my fear is that something will go wrong in a few years and cause a big problem.

I'll keep my eye out for a higher our boat with that walk through option as well.

1 hour ago, shadetreefab said:

A couple months ago the hold over 16's axis in my area were in your price range. If your doing the payment plan, new boats in my experience have a lower interest rate. Could work out to better monthly payments.

Which dealer is selling 2016 Axis for 50k??? 

It's was California marine sports, had a nice t23 that went for 58k and a a24 that was low 60's, I almost sold my boat and picked up the 24

Edited by shadetreefab

50 minutes ago, pedel said:

A couple of other things to consider....I have a 2012 VLX, but I think these apply to the LSV as well.

1.  In 2012 they switched over from 3/4" hoses to 1 1/8" which fills faster.  I know that some early 2012's still had the slower hoses.  

2.  Surf gates are great, but honestly unless you're the 1% who actually switches sides while your'e surfing  a great aftermarket gate (like the Mission Delta that I have) works really well and you'll save a ton.

3.  There is one downside of the newer boats, which is more electronics.  Everything is on touch screens, and their flaky and super expensive to repair.  Mine stopped working with my blower, and they wanted $2,000 to sell me a new screen (I installed a separate manual switch as well).  If you're wakeboarding and changing sides constantly, the touchscreen ballast control is nice.  But if you're surfing with any kind of gate, all you really do is load up all your ballast so the pre-sets become pretty much worthless.  I really thought the touch screens were cool when I bought the boat, but if I could I would definitely go back to regular gauges and manual switches.

4.  With that many people on your boat, I'd also look for one that has the hard walkway section over the engine covers to save your upholstery.  I'm not sure what year's had them with options, but I wouldn't get a boat without it.  Same with snap out carpet.

As far as the  hours conversation goes, I would get a high hours boat that was well maintained in a heartbeat.  As was mentioned above, these engines are made to run for a long time.  You can get a much lower price, and from a resale perspective if you don't put huge hours on it it will probably average out over time.  And if you do, just maintain it well and you'll get a ton of bang for your buck.  Check service records for oil changes, impeller changes, etc.

In 2012 they switched over from 3/4" hoses to 1 1/8" which fills faster.  I know that some early 2012's still had the slower hoses.  

It is not that hard to update to 1 1/8 in these boats.. I did update my 2010 to have 1100 gph fill pumps (the Pirhanas have .75 inlets so there is nothing to change except pump itself on the inlet side)... Ace had the adapters for the tanks (to increase the inlet to 1").. Hoses came from wake makers.. did this all as a piggy back upgrade... I did leave drains .75 with the 800 gph pumps.

Even if you want to switch sides while surfing.. go surf assist installed was $5,000 on my boat:

IMG_20160124_152956038_zpso0rltchh.jpg

This was before I got it dialed in.. hoping to have drone and professional photographer out next weekend.

I also would not be scared of a high hour boat if it is maintained... I would be more scared of a boat with to low of hours... not using them is worse than high hour maintained boats.

Edited by kerpluxal
1 person likes this

Be careful how large of a boat you pick out........you are close to buying yourself a new boat lift as well.  You have a 5000# lift (screw drive.......is it a Floe?)  If it is a Floe, they are rated to hold a boat with a dry weight of 4250.  (85% of 5000#).  It sounds like you want a larger boat, but the A24 weighs 4500#.  Do you want a pickle fork boat?  If not, the T23 is 4200#.  I know the Malibu line is a bit heavier, the 23 LSV is 4500.  Biggest boat I'd do on a 5000 pound lift within the Malibu line is the 22 VLX, but this sounds like it is smaller than what you are looking for.  Not saying a big Malibu isn't a good thing, they definitely are, but you may need to budget upgrading your lift if you do go that route.

Just a few hours away, You could try to snag this for $35k w/ extra $$ to customize the surf, fill the 80 gal. gas tank and pay for repairs. Has DEEP V, switches instead of computer screens, 16 people, enclosed head, swivel passenger seat, but 4600lb dry weight in reference brochure

http://www.munsonski.com/Power-Boats-Inboard-Malibu-Wakesetter-25-LSV-2006-Round-Lake-IL-754be112-0bd6-476e-b60f-a6f70101a5d4

ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Wakesetter-25-LSV-/122343558882?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c7c3e8ee2:g:T3kAAOSw8w1X6J2m&item=122343558882

Extra pics of another 25: http://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-wakesetter-lsv-25-2006-canadien-fresh-water-boat--for-sale-cape-coral-Florida-53897.aspx

Edited by darrink

How far away from your area are you looking and willing to travel? I've traveled 10-12 hrs one way before, some on here have gone even further.

1 person likes this