Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which camber board to buy?

Maisbiensuer

Dear Crew,

I’m struggling with the decision for my new wakeboard, hopefully you can help me with my decision J

I’m coming from a 139cm Hyperlite Pulse 9 from 2008 with a continuous rocker shape. Binding is a Liquid Force Vantage with Velcro closing. Until last season, I didn’t had a boat with a decent wake, so it wasn’t important for me what kind of board I was riding. As the boat has changed last year and the wake isn’t an issue anymore, I think it is time to invest in new gear this year.

I know that I would like to switch to the new Ronix camber boards, as they should have a lot of pop and still are very forgiving. I have read everywhere that especially the Ronix Park boards (14’ / 15’ / 16’) are very slow. It seems that this is the only bad influence the boards have beside the choppy water issue. Honestly, I don’t’ know how a slow and how a fast board feel, I don’t have the experience to compare. I just think, that I had quite a fast board, as continuous rocker board are faster in general than 3-stage and camber. Correct me if I’m wrong J.

So, I think that it should be either the Ronix Parks Air Core or the Space Blanket Air Core.  I have read, that the Space Blanket is a lot faster than the Parks (except the 2017 Parks, which is quite expensive). But I still don’t know if I really care about glide speed,…as dumb it sounds J

So I nailed it to three options:

2017 Ronix Parks Air Core:

+Parks is more aggressive than Space Blanket

+Increased glide speed

-Very high price because of 2017 model

2016 Space Blanket Air Core:

+Quite good glide speed

+According overall feedback it is better in handling and speed than 15’ and 16’ Parks

-Less aggressive than Parks

-Unbelivable ugly colors (I know, it’s a detail, but for 550 bucks including shipment to Europe, it would be nice if it would look nice J )

+Price is better about 200 bucks than for the new 17’ parks

2015 Parks Air Core:

+Quite a good price (400 bucks including shipment to Europe)

+The biggest camber shape, therefore very good pop

-Slow, People say it feels like pulling an anchor behind them

The 2016 Parks has been left out, as it has the same Price as the 16’ Space Blanket, but no better features than the ’15 Parks. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I guess I would like the ’17 Parks the most, but it’s quite the double price than the ’15 Parks.

Do you have any suggestions, or any experiences which could help me? Unfortunately, there is no possibility to do some test rides, as Parks & Space Blanket Boards are not spread very wide here in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

All those choices are going to be a big difference from your 2008 continuous rocker.  I have ridden everything in the lineup and I love the spaceblanket.  I rode the ONE for years and took a season on the code 22.  

I'm hooked on the new camber! It's way better than the old bandwagon and it's slightly more forgiving and more predictable than the parks.  

Is there somewhere where you could try one first?  

What tricks are your trying, what are your goals this season?  Is camber a must have for you?

No, camber isn't a must have, but I just wanted to buy something new :-)

I have bought a '16 Ronix Space Blanket with '16 Code 55 Binding. I'm curious how the difference will be to my continous rocker:-)

4 hours ago, Maisbiensuer said:

I have bought a '16 Ronix Space Blanket with '16 Code 55 Binding. I'm curious how the difference will be to my continous rocker:-)

Make sure to post your thoughts on it when you get some riding in! I've been riding a 2014 One for a few seasons and been eyeing these camber boards for a while

Yeah, I will! But it will take a few months until summer is here :-)

I'm also curious about the weight difference between the old one and the Aircore 2 SB. Will keep you updated!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2017 at 5:24 AM, Maisbiensuer said:

2016 Space Blanket Air Core:

+Quite good glide speed

+According overall feedback it is better in handling and speed than 15’ and 16’ Parks

-Less aggressive than Parks

-Unbelivable ugly colors (I know, it’s a detail, but for 550 bucks including shipment to Europe, it would be nice if it would look nice J )

+Price is better about 200 bucks than for the new 17’ parkS

Do you have any suggestions, or any experiences which could help me? Unfortunately, there is no possibility to do some test rides, as Parks & Space Blanket Boards are not spread very wide here in Europe.

I consider myself an armature (basic inverts, 360's, various grabs, etc) so take this for what it's worth. 

I just ordered a 2016 Aircore Spaceblanket today with 2016 Parks Carbon Boots.  I demoed this board last summer and absolutely fell in love.  For me personally, the Parks is a little to agreeive.  My riding is way more consistent on a continuous rocker board, which translates to more time and more fun on the water. I know the Spaceblanket is not a true continue rocker board, but it feels and rides like one. For me personally, I wasted a whole season trying to ride an agessive 3 stage.  I actually digressed that session and was pretty frustrated with each run.  Once I moved back to a more mellow pop, I started to love wakeboarding again.  

I would have loved to pick up a 2017 set up, but I just bought a new boat and am spending a ton of money outfitting it with all of the accessories.  I also have to buy a surfboard and a wakeboard for my daughters.  I scored a great deal on Amazon for the board, paid $279 and $299 for the binding.  Had a $100 Amex credit, so the entire set up was $480.  The same 2017 set up would have set me back $1100.  

• 3 months later...

It's quite some time ago since I wrote in this topic. In the meantime, it's summer here in Europe and I'm riding my new board. As promised, here my short feedback about the board.

I love it!! Great pop, soft landings, and with the free agent fins, very free to ride. Also easy to ride for beginner and intermediate rider (as I am). A huge improve to my old continuous rocker board.