Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

I thought I read somewhere a while back that with Malibu becoming publicly traded they told investors they would put out 5 new boats per year.........This year there's a new 21 VLX, 22 and 24 MXZ, CB and OB Response.  Leaving the "old" boats: VTX, 22 VLX, 23 LSV, 25 LSV, and the M.  The VTX got a renew in 2016, 22 VLX new in 2015.  25 LSV new in '16, and M235 new in '16.  I don't remember when the last 23 renewal was, but it sounds like it should be the first boat in line for a refresh to me.

23 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I thought I read somewhere a while back that with Malibu becoming publicly traded they told investors they would put out 5 new boats per year.........This year there's a new 21 VLX, 22 and 24 MXZ, CB and OB Response.  Leaving the "old" boats: VTX, 22 VLX, 23 LSV, 25 LSV, and the M.  The VTX got a renew in 2016, 22 VLX new in 2015.  25 LSV new in '16, and M235 new in '16.  I don't remember when the last 23 renewal was, but it sounds like it should be the first boat in line for a refresh to me.

My thoughts exactly. The 23 LSV was refreshed in MY '14. What should we expect besides more freeboard?

ahopkins22LSV
58 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Don't for get Axis is probably included in the 5 per year. And typically they are on a five year period before a refresh. But that probably will be compressed if they are really shooting for 5 per year. So it may happen next year with the 22 VLX, a24, t22/23. 

Maybe the G4 will become the norm and a better and stronger g5 will come out to match the comp! 

With Naut and the new Ri's they have no choice but to really increase the freeboard to stay in the game.. 

Hopefully the ballast tank like the New MX will become the norm to show/gauge the sac levels. 

Hopefully they go to faster larger pumps!!!!!!!

Oh and for gosh sakes a few angle presets on SG to adjust the wave!

Edited by The Hulk
5 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Maybe the G4 will become the norm and a better and stronger g5 will come out to match the comp! 

With Naut and the new Ri's they have no choice but to really increase the freeboard to stay in the game.. 

Hopefully the ballast tank like the New MX will become the norm to show/gauge the sac levels. 

Hopefully they go to faster larger pumps!!!!!!!

Oh and for gosh sakes a few angle presets on SG to adjust the wave!

What is wrong with the current G3.2?  You can get two pairs of board racks on it vs the tower nautique is using

If you are comparing freeboard to the Gs and RI, you are forgetting the M235

New ballast tank style maybe

Faster pumps sure

Don't you use the power wedge to adjust the wave?

9 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

What is wrong with the current G3.2?  You can get two pairs of board racks on it vs the tower nautique is using

If you are comparing freeboard to the Gs and RI, you are forgetting the M235

New ballast tank style maybe

Faster pumps sure

Don't you use the power wedge to adjust the wave?

Not a fan of any G3.x . Very shaky. Although with new base on 3.2 much better but ehhh. G4 is better but.. still a bit wobbly for the money although it looks sick! Not a fan of the light I wish it swiveled up or was automatic as I have to remember not to go under a bridge at night or have to remember to remove when putting her up in the lift and since I keep Bimini up it's easy to forget since u can't see it. Plus it's in a 1ft high pole.. I need to replace with the short one hopefully that will help but probably still to high for a bridge as if water is up I have 2-3" clearance max without the light.. 

Another thing the Bimini position only gains u about 6" max clearance when u fold tower for going under. The front hits Windows and back kicks higher . Minor details but if it extended FWD a bit it would gain a lot more clearance... Anyhow love it just wish it was a little more solid.. PTM.. never could go back. Wish they were motorized ha.. and they scratch the tower as there needs to be a stopper there..The G4 is taller which I like for head clearance.. although taller freeboard will potentially cause me headaches with "the" bridge if Bimini isn't modified..

Freeboard: I don't think people will compare the M series to other brands.. I think that bu has no choice but to increase if they want to stay in the game.. easy change and it's happened on all previous revisions.. .. I suspect they will or should add a few more inches.. the Ris are making waves across the industry. Seems logical they should add more freeboard.. people wanmore weight.. 

Wedge v2 still IMO doesn't make a ton of difference at least on the 25 . It's kind of there to help but the 25 is just so forgiving u basically can't mess it up or u seriously have to try which compared to my 23 2013 is so wonderful.. no messing around or adjusting.. I love this aspect. the wave is super long and tall .. love it but for skim tricks the massive SG should be at less deflection angle... Similar to the G where u have several settings to achieve this.. should be a very easy upgrade/software... And at least gives u options for different boards and riding style.. love everything just minor details and suggestions mainly. 1st world problems ha. Just stuff I'd like to see..

From someone ordering a 17 lsv I am bummed I could not get the center flip around seat option.  I am pretty sure it will be on the 2018's.  This is more than likely my last purchase so I will be sol for this option.  I can see a bigger lsv coming next year with more free board and adding more length.   Just a hunch I have no confirmation on this but the lsv has to be up for a new launch.

17 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

@The Hulk Some of us aren't fans of the $10K premium for the G4.    I get it, it's a better tower and that includes clamping racks.  But the G3.x functions perfectly fine for most people and I don't notice shakiness in mine.   I like that Malibu gives buyers the option.   

Fully agree.. the G4 was surly a tough call but the main reason both boats I was choosing between a 2017 with 3.2 and a 2016 demo loaded with G4 and more options and my favorite or should say wife's fav color scheme "blue sparkles"..  the 3.2 is a huge improvement for sure. I think they would have a winner if it locked down for towing.. but then I'd bet they would sell far fewer g4s.. is it worth the 10k?  Hard to say.... depending on your desires.. I'd bet it comes out around a 7-8k option.. PTM is a good chunk of that too.. starts to get more reasonable when u break it down but I fully agree 10k is pure sticker shock.. 

A lot of the side to side movement is actually coming from the top deck bending and ever so slightly moving it should be supported better.. and a longer unsupported span on the 25 doesn't help. 

Frankly I'm supprised the G4 price hasn't come down a bit.. I guess they are getting it is all I can say.. but as u said probably not necessary for everyone and money for bigger HP might be better spent..

5 hours ago, Ifinallygota21v said:

I could see an expansion of the m235...maybe m245 or m225. Since M series is different than wakesetter line I could see expansion there

I think of the big wave competition right now: Nautique - has the G21, 23, and 25.  Centurion has the Ri217, 237, and 257.  Would seem like an obvious answer for Malibu to come out with an M215 and M255.  3 monsters with tons of freeboard.  Is it next year the Malibu starts making their own engines??  That would make me a bit leery for a year or two until they are proven.  

The G3.5 is a good alternative to the G4 now, and easier on the wallet. I'd go with the 3.5 and PTM clamping racks personally. But I see a lot of G4s so the price doesn't seem to be too big an issue around here.

If there's a redesigned LSV in 2018, and I think there will be, I'm expecting it to have some tweaks to the hull for the surf wave. Look at how much better the 22 MXZ and 24 MXZ are surfing after their 2017 redesign. Stock ballast went up in those models, but their hull changes also seem to be a big part of the improved wave. Not saying the LSV has a bad wave at all, but Malibu would be crazy to not adopt any design lessons learned from the MXZ changes.

A new LSV will have higher freeboard to allow for more stock ballast, probably around the same 900 lb. increase the 24 MXZ saw, and should have the same new L shaped rear ballast tanks. I'd like to see more weight in the bow tank to keep the nose down without a bow sac.

Since most everyone has walkthrough transoms now, I wouldn't be surprised to see that lifted from the MXZ line for the new LSV too.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sixer said:

I think of the big wave competition right now: Nautique - has the G21, 23, and 25.  Centurion has the Ri217, 237, and 257.  Would seem like an obvious answer for Malibu to come out with an M215 and M255.  3 monsters with tons of freeboard.  Is it next year the Malibu starts making their own engines??  That would make me a bit leery for a year or two until they are proven.  

I agree on big wave comp. But those are those companies major line up.. bus major line up is the 21/22/23/25.. new MX.. I don't think the M215/255 would be a good investment IMO.. revamping the main line up makes way more sense.. the M is going to have to compete against the newer MXs .. adding more weight and freeboard to the LSV series I would think makes more sense but just my .02.. seems a lot easier to update these then try to sell a new M series.. who knows.

2 hours ago, NWBU said:

The G3.5 is a good alternative to the G4 now, and easier on the wallet. I'd go with the 3.5 and PTM clamping racks personally. But I see a lot of G4s so the price doesn't seem to be too big an issue around here.

If there's a redesigned LSV in 2018, and I think there will be, I'm expecting it to have some tweaks to the hull for the surf wave. Look at how much better the 22 MXZ and 24 MXZ are surfing after their 2017 redesign. Stock ballast went up in those models, but their hull changes also seem to be a big part of the improved wave. Not saying the LSV has a bad wave at all, but Malibu would be crazy to not adopt any design lessons learned from the MXZ changes.

A new LSV will have higher freeboard to allow for more stock ballast, probably around the same 900 lb. increase the 24 MXZ saw, and should have the same new L shaped rear ballast tanks. I'd like to see more weight in the bow tank to keep the nose down without a bow sac.

Since most everyone has walkthrough transoms now, I wouldn't be surprised to see that lifted from the MXZ line for the new LSV too.

Agreed walkthrough is a MUST.. I'd probably trade in just for that

• Like 3

My thoughts on the M line...

Do you guys think it is crazy to see this boat have major changes every couple years?  I think that makes more sense rather than expanding to 21/25.  If you are paying premium for the biggest and baddest "coming standard on the M235, is everything" boat... I would expect tweaks each year to get that consumer base to trade up frequently and let the used market gobble up discounted M boats.  It isn't really high enough volume to steal from their new boat sales in a meaningful manner.

It would also help fit the "5 new hulls" every year talk we have been conversing about.

just my .02

44 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I would like to see a flip panel there. Walk through for riding and then a cushion for the cove.  

Nautique has exactly that. 

Between the two lines of Malibu's having the two be different might not be a bad idea. Keep the lsv more of the classic Malibu style, carpet on the seat bases, no walk through and not as deep. But within the mxz lineup have more the modern style like other manufacturers. 

Even if they don't add freeboard, L shaped hard tanks and walkthrough would be huge improvements.. and maybe a surf watch that works or shows the rider it actually worked.... 

4 hours ago, Fman said:

Personally I like the look of the current LSV/VLX they have enough free board to not take water over the bow but don't look bloated like a G either.  Hope if they do add more free board they still manage to keep the traditional Malibu sleek look on the water.  Call me biased but I still think Malibu is one of the best looking boats on the water today.

Can't agree more. All in.. the lines shape style just can't be beaten. 

I haven't read any reviews on MasterCrafts dockstar or read into the patent, but it would be nice if they could add some reverse steering assist.

Edited by ScottBot