Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

11 hours ago, Capdoogie said:

It's a little frustrating that Malibu doesn't have a full on wakesurf boat.  Now I've been with Malibu for a long time, on my six or is it fith boat. Three 23 lsv's.    It's nice to see they are finally getting more freeboard so as not to take on rollers over the bow.  Plus my favorite, the electric riser seat.   But they are lame on the factory ballast tank capacity, and fill times.   With the new hull we should of seen unreal ballast numbers. Not a rep standing waist high in a compartment that could hold more ballast.  Other manufacturers are starting to surpass them in this category.  Making and all round boat just means it does everything mediocre. IMO.    I still like the look of this boat and I'm a long time Malibu fan, but I'm now starting to look elsewhere for my next purchase. IMO

I disagree, if you need 5000 lbs of extra ballast to surf, the hull probably sucks to begin with.  Insane ballast doesn't not equate to a great wake or wave

Edited by wakebrdr94
On 7/24/2017 at 9:05 PM, wheelman said:

I wonder how it will feel sitting in the middle back seat with a thin pair of board shorts on. I can only imagine you would feel it. 

I hate that the G23 I own has the same 'step pad' in the middle of the back bench seat.  It created a place that nobody wants to sit.  It is not important if the seat is rolled out, but we don't do that all the time.  

On 7/24/2017 at 9:52 PM, store934 said:

I know the wedge has been Malibu's thing but I wonder if the focus on surf and more weight in the new models has started to overcome the need for the wedge for surfing with Surf Gate.

I agree.  There isn't another manufacturer using the wedge, and a lot of them make really nice waves.  I think the wedge was ideal for wakeboarding, and when surfing was done with 1500 pounds of ballast, leaning to one side.  

4 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I agree.  There isn't another manufacturer using the wedge, and a lot of them make really nice waves.  I think the wedge was ideal for wakeboarding, and when surfing was done with 1500 pounds of ballast, leaning to one side.  

Tomorrow I will set my boat up to surf without the wedge. Something tells me I won't like it. Without the wedge there's virtually no adjustability (besides speed), but I'll give it a shot 

5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Tomorrow I will set my boat up to surf without the wedge. Something tells me I won't like it. Without the wedge there's virtually no adjustability (besides speed), but I'll give it a shot 

Ixfe at least you are goofy, you may have a chance. Regular no way I could. Ran wedge 2 clicks from stow for regular and 2 clicks from vert on goofy. Boat was so much nicer to drive for the goofy surfer. Lower rpm, less bow rise and no steering wheel pull. Problem was my whole family rode regular I actually started riding heelside goofy I liked the goofy wave that much better 

14 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I'll just say this now..

don't waste your time.

and then , See I told you so.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Interested to hear your findings.  As I said earlier I did this on accident and I was surprised with the result.  If I recall you have heavy ballast as well.  On my 14 LSV on the regular side there was no way it would have worked w/o wedge.

On my 16 25 LSV with the swim platform 2-3 inches underwater I was really surprised.  Like you noted only adjusting is through speed but IMHO it was a very surfable wave when I expected complete garbage. 

Probably won't knock your socks off in terms of "better" but if it's like my experience it was still a very good ride with less RPMs. 

Not promoting it but my overall point is the wedge seems to becoming less relevant as more stock ballast is added since they are trying to accomplish the same thing for the most part.  The loss is incremental quick changes.

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I hate that the G23 I own has the same 'step pad' in the middle of the back bench seat.  It created a place that nobody wants to sit.  It is not important if the seat is rolled out, but we don't do that all the time.  

Others aren't using "the wedge" because Malibu hold the patent right?

And I disagree that isn't still ideal for surfing. I just spent the last week surfing the M235, mxz 22 and 23 LSV (2017's) and all of them greatly benefited from wedge settings. You could easily adjust from a longer mellow wave to a shorter steep wave with the wedge.

I didn't try any of them without wedge though. My guess is if you like a longer wave, not using the wedge will still be good for you. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

I disagree, if you need 5000 lbs of extra ballast to surf, the hull probably sucks to begin with.  Insane ballast doesn't not equate to a great wake or wave

In the end displacement is what creates a wave. That is why surf boats are gaining weight so rapidly. The shape of the hull can have a small impact but it's down in the noise compared to weight.

7 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

In the end displacement is what creates a wave. That is why surf boats are gaining weight so rapidly. The shape of the hull can have a small impact but it's down in the noise compared to weight.

And "delayed convergence "

2 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Boardco in Utah has several really good articles in thier blog, this one discusses displacement and hull shape.  

http://www.mmwatersports.com/boat-performance/there-is-no-replacement-for-displacement/

17 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Can someone please tell me how many "surf specific" boats there are... I can't even use all the fingers on one hand.. I am not counting a boat with the word surf on the side due to the fact it has a surf system... true surf specific boats.. I think of 3 - 4... Centurion, MasterCraft just released one, HeyDay, and maybe Ski Supreme... Tige claims surf specific.. but they are still designed for wake boarding as well... Out of all of those... Centurion is probably the only surf specific boat.. I would put the Ski Supreme in there as well.. but the one I demoed was a pain to do anything with (surf tabs had no gauge on them to show how far deployed or if fully deployed/retracted that it does not count in my book.

I live in one of the top 10 biggest cities in US... and there is not Centurion dealership for 300 miles.... so I am not going to even bother (although I tried, but the dealer ship cancelled my demo so I won't even bother with them anymore....

So topic is 2018  23 LSV... Malibu's TOP selling and the industries TOP selling boat... Why take your TOP selling boat and make it surf specific...

Also... as @DarkSide stated... and it so true.. there are different brands and different models to appease different peoples taste...

I can't wait to demo a new 23.. I think I might have finally found a reason to upgrade ;)

I have my concerns... Have to buy a new tow vehicle and draft.. but if G23 can get out.. I should be as well too 

Well I know a few pro riders down in orlando have asked to keep their older G series boats because the wake was better when it was a wakeboard boat not a surf boat.

Centurion kool-aid is strong and tasty. I read a blog post on the internet that says so. 

Srsly, do they have any similar essays about crumbly//finicky/washy wakeboard wakes resulting from a deep v hull?

• Like 3
11 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Yea, I think the diamond hull was mentioned in one of the videos. #crosslikeaboss

Is there anyone who could possibly think this boat will be skiable?

5 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Others aren't using "the wedge" because Malibu hold the patent right?

And I disagree that isn't still ideal for surfing. I just spent the last week surfing the M235, mxz 22 and 23 LSV (2017's) and all of them greatly benefited from wedge settings. You could easily adjust from a longer mellow wave to a shorter steep wave with the wedge.

I didn't try any of them without wedge though. My guess is if you like a longer wave, not using the wedge will still be good for you. 

I don't think any of us were saying that it's not a great tool for wakesurfing quite the opposite actually as I said my regular wave was pretty much unsurfable without it. I did just not like the negative effects it created in driving. Wasn't terrible by any means just felt like it puts a lot more drag on the boat and is not as efficient as some other systems. 

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, wheelman said:

I don't think any of us were saying that it's not a great tool for wakesurfing quite the opposite actually as I said my regular wave was pretty much unsurfable without it. I did just not like the negative effects it created in driving. Wasn't terrible by any means just felt like it puts a lot more drag on the boat and is not as efficient as some other systems. 

I know thats what most have said. That is why I only quoted TRR and not everyone.

Anyone hoping that the new LSV will eliminate the need for bow weight should look closely at this picture.  It may not need it but (to me) the guy driving appears to be leaning forward and struggling to look over the front.  Looks pretty similar to my run angle ...

Capture.JPG

Edited by pauley71

We use the power wedge all the time for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing and it helps shape the wakes perfect also don't forget the lift position that is perfect ! 

Even the floating wedge on the axis does miracles to the wakes ! 

Great feature and if you notice nearly every Malibu has one ..so guess people like it or they wouldn't order it .

ahopkins22LSV

If that wave surfs half as good as it looks, I'll bolster the seat or something.

And half of the pro wakeboarders out there are like sub 5' 10" anyway :lol:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

Well I know a few pro riders down in orlando have asked to keep their older G series boats because the wake was better when it was a wakeboard boat not a surf boat.

I think if that is the case, they are completely imagining it. None of us can tell even the smallest difference between my 17 and my buddy's 14. The wakes are exactly the same. I'd be curious what they thought was different, because we can't tell.....

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Is there anyone who could possibly think this boat will be skiable?

Oddly enough, this is the first thing I do with my new boats.  My wife skis, so she gets first pull on any new boat.  Will report back.

6 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

For those who have been in a 2018. Did you notice the vinyl was different? I was told they were changing. 

Yes, the previous cool touch fabric has been replaced by a leather type feeling material.  I have a panel exposed in the AZ sun today to see how it does in 8 hours of 100 degrees.

• Like 3