Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 F-150 Diesel

hethj7

6 hours ago, Tims said:

I believe that the new 10 speed can skip shift gears. 

From what I have read if it is the new 10 speed Ford and GM developed together it shifts so fast you wont know if it does skip gears.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:46 AM, hethj7 said:

...the engine was “designed, engineered, and tested in-house.” ...

Translation...do not buy one for about two/three years until Ford gets the bugs worked out of it....

21 minutes ago, RTS said:

Translation...do not buy one for about two/three years until Ford gets the bugs worked out of it....

But we're all okay with Malibu marinizing their own motors ;)

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

But we're all okay with Malibu marinizing their own motors ;)

Who's we?  I would much rather have an Indmar in my boat versus Malibus vertical integration experiment in the next couple years.

Isn't the Ecoboost redesigned for 2017 as well?  I remember hearing that.  I could be making that up though.

If so, new tranny and redesigned engine?  I might wait a year.  

Edited by bamaboy
7 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Isn't the Ecoboost redesigned for 2017 as well?  I remember hearing that.  I could be making that up though.

It's not entirely redesigned but it does put out more HP and Torque than the first and second gen Ecoboost.

FWIW, I've heard first hand that the new 10 speed is a pretty outstanding transmission.

48 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Yes.  All new for 2017.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/07/11/2017-ford-f-150-with-all-new-3-5-liter-ecoboost-v6-nets-best-in-.html

Edited by RyanB
12 hours ago, MLBurns said:

From what I have read if it is the new 10 speed Ford and GM developed together it shifts so fast you wont know if it does skip gears.

Is it a dual clutch design?

1 minute ago, Bawshogg said:

Lol, no! It has 15 clutch packs and 27 planetary components.

Doesn't dual clutch just generically refer to a system that alternates between 2 banks of clutches?  Heck even a 4 speed auto has more than 2 clutches ;)

@oldjeep, No, I think what he was referring to was a dual clutch, automatic shifting  manual transmission. They have two separate input shafts and two separate wet, or dry clutches housed where the torque converter would be in a tradition automatic. The gear setup is gear on shaft arrangements vs. planetary gear sets used in a traditional hydraulically shifted auto. Most of them uses motors and cams to move shift drums/ forks. 

I was referring to DCT. They are considered automatics, but in design one could view them as two manuals side to side I guess. That seems to be the trend these days and since this was such a new transmission, figured they may have went that direction. But thinking about it, I would imagine these 10spd units do not hit all gears on their way to the 10th gear. So DCT probably wouldn't work well in that situation. 

http://www.ien.com/regulation/news/20848902/fiat-chrysler-accused-of-cheating-emissions

As mentioned earlier, hope Ford has their s*** together. Seems like most of these guys need to cheat EPA in order to get the power and mileage. Probably why the Cummins in the Nissan is struggling with mileage. 

Edited by Tims
  • 3 weeks later...

my uncle is a sales/service rep for Graco (commercial spraying equipment) down in Elk River, MN.  he's been with them about 30 years.  anyway, he showed up at my place about a year ago with a Ram Ecodiesel.  He explained that it's the nicest truck he's ever driven; best MPG hands down by any 1/2 ton.  He drives within a 3-5 state area (with frequency) and in pure crap road conditions.  He pulls a little enclosed trailer with pumps, sprayers, parts, etc.  

My point is for commercial fleets, I think the smaller scale V6 diesels have serious merit. 

why else would they have been using diesels in smaller trucks overseas for so long?  Tacoma, Frontiers & similar smaller SUV's the world over have had smaller yet torquey diesels for a long, long time.

I really like the idea of a 1/2 ton diesel F150 mated to a 10 speed tranny; low RPM hwy cruiser.  Very capable pulling anything under 7,000 lbs.

My brother down in Saint Paul has an Audi Q7, TDI.  It matches his address on Summit Avenue, nicely.   

My 2012 Suburban loaded with kids, weekend goodies and pulling the 2005 Sunscape with single axle struggles to keep 70 mph with any wind.  I normally go around 65-70.  she has to work WAY to hard beyond 70 (revving and shifting all the time).     

FWIW, out here in western North Dakota there is a serious ranching/farming and rodeo culture.  The ranchers know what works and it seem like Cummins & Ford Super Duty Diesels are the most popular.  Just by the eyeball test, I'd say the big Ram Cummins take the cake in sales. 

Seems like the oil guys out in the Bakken sure like those Ford 6.7 Super Duties.  Those guys are NOT faking it; extra diesel tanks, generators, welders, hoist, toolboxes, etc.  Those roads are crap too; piss pounded by larger oil tankers.

I guess I'm rambling now.....        

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Arctic Slalom said:

my uncle is a sales/service rep for Graco (commercial spraying equipment) down in Elk River, MN.  he's been with them about 30 years.  anyway, he showed up at my place about a year ago with a Ram Ecodiesel.  He explained that it's the nicest truck he's ever driven; best MPG hands down by any 1/2 ton.  He drives within a 3-5 state area (with frequency) and in pure crap road conditions.  He pulls a little enclosed trailer with pumps, sprayers, parts, etc.  

I'm not a Dodge/Ram fan but my father in law recently bought 2 of these for 2 of his salesmen.  He would agree with every word you wrote.  When all these parts and systems work it's a great truck, but still a Dodge/Ram, which means to me, the day the warranty runs out it starts falling apart.  Time will tell.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, Arctic Slalom said:

why else would they have been using diesels in smaller trucks overseas for so long?  Tacoma, Frontiers & similar smaller SUV's the world over have had smaller yet torquey diesels for a long, long time.

Because their fuel quality sucks and diesels (up until recently) will run on just about any polluted crap you stick in the tank.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, Ndawg12 said:

I'm not a Dodge/Ram fan but my father in law recently bought 2 of these for 2 of his salesmen.  He would agree with every word you wrote.  When all these parts and systems work it's a great truck, but still a Dodge/Ram, which means to me, the day the warranty runs out it starts falling apart.  Time will tell.  

So I guess the lifetime power train on mine is why I'm not having any problems? :)

22 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Because their fuel quality sucks and diesels (up until recently) will run on just about any polluted crap you stick in the tank.

Actually it is because diesel in Europe is cheaper than gas.. and taxes on diesel vehicle are cheaper than gas.. and taxes in Europe on cars is high and done by displacement of engine... that is why they all drive diesel everything...speaking from first hand knowledge..

9 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Actually it is because diesel in Europe is cheaper than gas.. and taxes on diesel vehicle are cheaper than gas.. and taxes in Europe on cars is high and done by displacement of engine... that is why they all drive diesel everything...speaking from first hand knowledge..

I'm talking about BFE Africa and south America, not europe

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 11:21 AM, nlouthan said:

I too don't see the appeal of a diesel that size versus the EcoBoost.  Doubt the mileage gain will be enough to offset the higher price of diesel, plus the availability of diesel is more limited.  I imagine the diesel is probably even more expensive than the Eco.  I'll be in the market for a new truck this year and it'll either be an EcoBoost or if a "real" diesel, a Cummins powered Ram.

6.7 L Ford.... just sayin...