Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 F-150 Diesel

hethj7

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

He is claiming he gets that with a diesel Jeep Liberty....

Nope, here a copy paste. 

Dads big F350 actually does well with MPG while towing my boat on freeway (around 18 and don't go faster than 70 or it plummet  quickly) but once you hit city it drops big time....

ahopkins22LSV
18 minutes ago, gorilla said:

Nope, here a copy paste. 

Dads big F350 actually does well with MPG while towing my boat on freeway (around 18 and don't go faster than 70 or it plummet  quickly) but once you hit city it drops big time....

My bad I did miss that. 

So we have one guy claiming that he has seen the mileage. Question of how calculated could be asked. 

Then we have a few people who are saying no way there is zero possibility. Do you guys have the same truck?

1 hour ago, Big Jay D said:

I have been around a LOT of people towing a LOT of different things. There are only so many BTUs in a gallon of fuel. 

I don't care what your argument is. 18mpg at 70mph towing a LSV IS BULLs***. Stop lying to yourself. 

Things that have to happen to get a close to accurate mpg number. 

-Round trip of more than 200 miles. ROUND TRIP! Think about why. 

-An accurate odometer. I have the ability to adjust my speedometer through my tuner. It dead on GPS accurate. 

-Fill the tank full. Not just until it clicks. I'm talking until you can see it at the top of the filler neck. 

This is how you do it. There is no other way. Other than maybe a injector nozzle to improve spray pattern and a Cam I can't squeeze anymore out of my truck. I do have a big truck. With 35s, 4x4, 8000 pounds of weight. Best towing ever with the LSV @65mpg average speed on a 270 mile round trip is 14.2. Winter, no AC running. How do I get average speed? Divide distance by time. 

I now have fishing waders on. Armpit high. Insulated. If this s*** keeps up I'll be in a submarine soon. 

so.... you have a LIFTED truck... with BIGGER tires pulling 8000 lbs at 14.2 mph.....

So.. you have screwed your aerodynamics significantly over stock truck decreasing your fuel economy,,,,

You have added LARGER tires changing your gear ratio (you can say to a plus but it is actually a negative because now you have more mass that requires more energy to turn)

You are pulling 2000 lbs more than me...

Instead claiming BS why don't you look at your comparison.... YOU sir are not comparing apples to apples..... 

Now lets take other considerations for my so called bs claim.... what is your terrain?????? hmmm probably not flat like south Texas... so you are doing more work to climb a hill and FURTHER reducing your mpg....

Edited by kerpluxal
Just now, Bozboat said:

Shifting gears, I am thinking the ten speed transmission must hunt gears all day long. The six speed is annoying enough, not sure about adding four more.

8 speed on the RAM isn't bad at all.  They say the truck learns your driving habits and adjusts to you.  I'm not sure what the hell that means but maybe that helps with the gear hunting??  IDK

15 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Shifting gears, I am thinking the ten speed transmission must hunt gears all day long. The six speed is annoying enough, not sure about adding four more.

The more gears the less hunting you get.  Just think about driving an older truck with a 3 speed auto trans vs a modern 5+ speed automatic.  It tends to find a gear that makes sense more easily since the ratio differences between gears are smaller, rather than the old 2-3-2-3-2 you would get out of a TH400

44 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

so.... you have a LIFTED truck... with BIGGER tires pulling 8000 lbs at 14.2 mph.....

So.. you have screwed your aerodynamics significantly over stock truck decreasing your fuel economy,,,,

You have added LARGER tires changing your gear ratio (you can say to a plus but it is actually a negative because now you have more mass that requires more energy to turn)

You are pulling 2000 lbs more than me...

Instead claiming BS why don't you look at your comparison.... YOU sir are not comparing apples to apples..... 

Now lets take other considerations for my so called bs claim.... what is your terrain?????? hmmm probably not flat like south Texas... so you are doing more work to climb a hill and FURTHER reducing your mpg....

I don't have time to argue. 

My truck is not lifted. It has 35s instead of 33s. 

Next time you go out to a lake that is 100miles away... do what I said. If your speedo is off because of your tires and crap then use a real GPS an log the physical miles. 

Prepare mentally to be disappointed in your ACTUAL mpg. 

Out. 

2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

I believe that the new 10 speed can skip shift gears. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Big Jay D said:

Next time you go out to a lake that is 100miles away... do what I said. If your speedo is off because of your tires and crap then use a real GPS an log the physical miles. 

Out. 

^^^^^This is so true and I am always fascinated with the high mileage claims that people post. I have owned all heavy duty diesel brands (Ford Dodge and Chevy) and they were within a mile or 2 per gallon of each other when towing. Usually between 11 and 14 mpg.  Also had the VW Touareg with the 3.0 diesel which would average high teens towing my VLX. 

My gassers are getting 8 to 10mpg towing the same weight. 

3 hours ago, Big Jay D said:

Out. 

Done too... again... I know what it is... I stated highway.. not combined.. not in town... calculated from gas station to gas station (average of multiple trips... 112 mile stretch).... and again... your getting 14... with bigger tires and pulling more weight in a different terrain... your number is probably not far off from mine if you were to go APPLE to APPLE comparison.... 

So... my 18 against your 14:

• Larger titres...take off minimum of 10%... are they wider too.. that would even be more rolling resistance So now I am 16.2
  • More weight... take off another 10%... now I am at 14.4
  • terrain... lets just another 10% 12.6...

@ahopkinsTXi... no his and my results will never be the same nor with anyone else... there are too many variables.... you would need same truck, same tire size, same tire compound, same weight same exact road conditions... same weather.... Mine is based on 4 tows in both directions with 98% highway miles... I have seen variances of +10% and -20% due to winds and traffic..... 

over and out....

Edited by kerpluxal
On 1/9/2017 at 1:14 PM, kerpluxal said:

Well... I have a Diesel Jeep from 2005 and:

1. It is a VM Motori (not mercedes as so many believe.. while mercedes owned them in this time frame they did not use mercedes engines... the only vehicle that was built on the mercedes platform was the crossfire)
    1. VM Motori was bought by Chrysler in 2000
  2. It is not underpowered (pulls my 23lsv as if it is not back there)
  3. Before I lifted it, it would average above 33 mpg (mostly freeway driving) after lifted and lager tires I cannot state true economy as the odometer is now off.. but computer shows 25 (plus I do not drive as many freeway miles due to work moved closer to home)
    1. Pulling my boat on the freeway I get 18 - 22 mpg... 

I hate to pile on, but it just does not make sense.  It looks like you are claiming 18-22 Mpg pulling the boat on the freeway after lifting it and adding larger tires.  This, on a vehicle that fulley shows reported MPG of 21 over 2,000,000 miles.

Just does not add up.

Edited by RyanB
12 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I hate to pile on, but it just does not make sense.  It looks like you are claiming 18-22 Mpg pulling the boat on the freeway after lifting it and adding larger tires.  This, on a vehicle that fulley shows reported MPG of 21 over 2,000,000 miles.

Just does not add up.

no.... this is on a different vehicle that is not lifted and stock and not the same mpg.... just jump in and make accuazations often???.... and on your claim on the jeep... go do your research in some of the jeep forums to see that I am not the only one... You are looking at an average of vehicles across the nation that were only reported by owners that chose to do so... what is sampling pull percentage???? 20...10.....50...80%????? do you even know... or is it.. I found this page on the internet and it is 100% true because it is on the internet????

I am stating my experience not a selected average.. I already stated that I have seen mileage reports on it varying... depending on usage... geographies etc.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/crd-mpg-towing-capacity-517862/

DONE

Edited by kerpluxal
Just now, kerpluxal said:

no.... this is on a different vehicle that is not lifted and stock.... and on your claim on the jeep... go do your research in some of the jeep forums to see that I am not the only one... You are looking at an average of vehicles across the nation that were only reported by owners that chose to do so... what is sampling pull percentage???? 20...10.....50...80%????? do you even know... or is it.. I found this page on the internet and it is 100% true because it is on the internet???? DONE

The EPA rated it at 22 city and 27 highway.

Car and Driver got 20 MPG when they tested it.  http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/jeep-liberty-sport-4x4-diesel-short-take-road-test

Truck Trend got a low MPG of 19.1 and a high of 34.1 (tuned, in the summer)  http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1110dp-jeep-liberty-crd-mileage-modifications/

Four Wheeler reports the BEST tank of 28.7 with an average of 17.1 MPG over a year of testing. http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/129-0704-2005-jeep-liberty-crd-limited-review/

22 Reports on this forum.  Almost all are somewhere in the mid 20 MPG range.  http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/crd-mpg-towing-capacity-517862/index2.html

As I said before, if you are getting that type of mileage for real - GOOD ON YOU!  But you are the outlier, not the norm.  

And when you make statements like "tows my LSV like it isn't even there", or that it is more stable than vehicles that weigh several hundred (or even a thousand pounds more) that have a longer and wider wheel base, you should understand why people are skeptical.

Good day.

Just now, RyanB said:

The EPA rated it at 22 city and 27 highway.

Car and Driver got 20 MPG when they tested it.  http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/jeep-liberty-sport-4x4-diesel-short-take-road-test

Truck Trend got a low MPG of 19.1 and a high of 34.1 (tuned, in the summer)  http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1110dp-jeep-liberty-crd-mileage-modifications/

Four Wheeler reports the BEST tank of 28.7 with an average of 17.1 MPG over a year of testing. http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/129-0704-2005-jeep-liberty-crd-limited-review/

22 Reports on this forum.  Almost all are somewhere in the mid 20 MPG range.  http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/crd-mpg-towing-capacity-517862/index2.html

As I said before, if you are getting that type of mileage for real - GOOD ON YOU!  But you are the outlier, not the norm.  

And when you make statements like "tows my LSV like it isn't even there", or that it is more stable than vehicles that weigh several hundred (or even a thousand pounds more) that have a longer and wider wheel base, you should understand why people are skeptical.

Good day.

I never stated that I was the norm... I stated that others have also... that I am not the ONLY one...

"And when you make statements like "tows my LSV like it isn't even there", or that it is more stable than vehicles that weigh several hundred (or even a thousand pounds more) that have a longer and wider wheel base, you should understand why people are skeptical."

If anybody wants to come and see... then do so.... the comment has been made by others that drive it and have that surprised look on their face that they could not believe it either.....

bye

I towed my LSV with my old Grand Cherokee one time.  Home from the dealer after service work had been completed.  Around 5 miles.  On city streets with 35 MPH speed limits.  With an engine with the same HP (though not the same torque), a longer and wider wheel base than a Liberty.  Probably had the same 5000 pound tow rating too.

I knew it was back there.

Sure would like to see the photo of the LSV behind the Liberty though.

imagejpg1_zps739b31f4.jpg

38 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Exactly. I have towed my boat with a 2006 Ram 2500 mega cab, a 2015 Ram 3500 mega cab, 3L TDI Touareg and you could tell the LSV was back there. It's 6000lbs of rolling weight, how can you NOT feel it back there..?? 

I know this is beating a dead horse, it's just that people need to understand you feel trailer weight no matter what you tow with. Hell, I've pulled a 2 place open snowmobile trailer and you could tell it was back there. If you "can't", then you are the driver I want to avoid on the highway. Drive too fast, brake too late and even tailgate while towing. 

6 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I towed my LSV with my old Grand Cherokee one time.  Home from the dealer after service work had been completed.  Around 5 miles.  On city streets with 35 MPH speed limits.  With an engine with the same HP (though not the same torque), a longer and wider wheel base than a Liberty.  Probably had the same 5000 pound tow rating too.

I knew it was back there.

Sure would like to see the photo of the LSV behind the Liberty though.

imagejpg1_zps739b31f4.jpg

as soon as boat is out of shop... you are welcome to the pic (have been through 4 phones since I took a pic and can not find it in the archives of face book)... now.. again... I have stated it is lifted and has airbags in back... so I will not have sag as in your post... You probably have more horsepower than the liberty... but your torque won't even be close... You can provide the argument that horsepower = torque.. but they happen at different ranges.... torque provides the power to get things started (lower RMP range), horsepower maintains that power (upper rpm range)... Diesels stay in the low rpm range and rely on torque... Gasoline engines usually have more horsepower than torque but are commonly close to equal... diesel engines have more torque than hp... and it is broader range between the torque and horsepower.

As I stated before... Boat behind jeep was more stable than my friends Navigator... never pulled behind multiple Navigators so this is my vehicle against his vehicle test... And he noticed it also... Boat behind jeep was more stable than the Ram 1500..... the difference between the 2 was over bumps... you can feel the trailer going up and down in rear multiple times before stabilizing out.... The boat behind jeep to F350... no comparison... F350 wins hands down... however... for my needs in towing it works for me...

again... I have airbags... the vehicles that I listed above do not.

11 minutes ago, gorilla said:

Exactly. I have towed my boat with a 2006 Ram 2500 mega cab, a 2015 Ram 3500 mega cab, 3L TDI Touareg and you could tell the LSV was back there. It's 6000lbs of rolling weight, how can you NOT feel it back there..?? 

I know this is beating a dead horse, it's just that people need to understand you feel trailer weight no matter what you tow with. Hell, I've pulled a 2 place open snowmobile trailer and you could tell it was back there. If you "can't", then you are the driver I want to avoid on the highway. Drive too fast, brake too late and even tailgate while towing. 

ok... maybe not the best choice of words... I do not experience the bouncing around and swaying that I felt in the Navigator... I did not have the bouncing around I felt in the Ram.. compared to them... the jeep towed AS IF the trailer was not back there... better?????

All these bashing post... I am done... I will post a pic as soon as I get one... All I am trying to say is these little diesels do have a market place and not everyone needs a big diesel to pull their boat... you would be surprise on how well they do... The MasterCraft dealer up here uses the little Mercedes and Dodge diesels vans as their tow and support vehicles.  

23 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

All these bashing post... I am done... I will post a pic as soon as I get one... All I am trying to say is these little diesels do have a market place and not everyone needs a big diesel to pull their boat... you would be surprise on how well they do... The MasterCraft dealer up here uses the little Mercedes and Dodge diesels vans as their tow and support vehicles.  

Oh I totally agree, there is a great market for the smaller diesels. But now EPA is cracking down on FCA small diesel. Hope Ford has their crap together and can avoid a lawsuit too. We absolute love our 3L Touareg and want a new one, but that won't ever happen. I'm a diesel fan, but with all the crap from the EPA, I won't be owning a small diesel any time soon and that sucks. Keep yours running strong, since it may be your last too. :(

Edited by gorilla