Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Additional Ballast for 2011 VLX

Maisbiensuer

First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

So you mean that every position of the MUX switches is already wired? So I could take this pre-wired but not used switch, just without the description on the LED screen of the MUX switch?

Regarding the pumps, I have the Shurflo Piranha right now. But you're right it would make sense to go for a reversible pump (like the Tsunami pump from FlyHigh?). My plan would be to place it in the middle locker between fuel tank and center ballast tank (as you suggest). Remove the T-Handle and install the pump there. I'm not sure if this would work with the reversible pumps because the water would have to be pumped back directly at the T-Handle hole. Does this work for you? Or do I miss something?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

So, I ordered now two Johnson impeller reversible pumps with all the fittings and two additional switches. I will use the existing 1" drain holes at the bottom of the boat two install the pumps. You were absolutely right, reversible pumps are the right way to go. Even with super piggyback (with an additional drain pump per bag), it would't be the same good solution like with the reversibles. Thanks for your input on this!

• 3 years later...

Hey all, I know this is an old topic, but I'm a new Malibu owner - 2011 VLX.  I have bags already, and am looking at a budget piggyback.  Looking at the drawing by Gobble, if I don't put a Y fitting in between the hard tank and bag, would that just fill the tank first, then overflow to the bag?  I'm not really worried about time, I just prefer the idea of the hard tank filling first. 

On 11/30/2016 at 12:25 PM, pedel said:

I completely agree that you should follow Gobble's first drawing (below).  If you do it this way, you only need one 'y' and any overflow from the hard tank gets pushed up into the bag.  I did this in my 2012 VLX and it works perfectly.  I wouldn't bother with the second 'y'.

Good luck!

2ed4e612-410a-4e1e-9a3c-72dbb32647c5.jpg

I'm gonna give it a go.  Picked up elbow connectors and hose at the store.  Decided to try a Y, but couldn't find one locally, and everything is so slow right now shipping because of Covid, so I am going to put in a T for now and see how it works.

I agree 100%!  Having to toss a pump over the side and just wait.....and wait.....ugh.

Hit the lake yesterday, and everything worked great!  I did the set up pretty much identical to the drawing, except used a T fitting instead of a Y, and when I put the fitting into the fill line, I tried to sort of rotate the fitting up a bit to minimize water going that way, if that makes sense.  It seemed like some water was going into the bag before the hard tank filled, but it was pretty minimal.  Tanks filled, and then the water began fully filling the bags.

Draining worked great too.  I've read on some forums where people said you had to wait for the water to run from the bag down into the hard tank, but it all seemed pretty smooth.  And of course with this, you're still running everything right from the dash.  The only thing I didn't confirm was the venting/overflow that I ran from the top of the bag to the thru-hull fitting.  I didn't fill the bags all the way, but I don't really have any reason to think it won't work.  

I am no rocket scientist, so the first side took me about 4hrs or so as I worked my way through, identifying the lines and figuring out the best way to install everything.  The second side only took me about 1.5hrs.  Overall, I'm pretty happy; it looks clean and it works.  One recommendation I would make is to put the money out for quick connect fittings.  I didn't really think about it at the time, but now that everything is in, to take the bags out for any reason (winterizing) will be a pain, so I will probably swap out the fittings I used.   

I can always try to post a couple of pics if you want.  My VLX is an '11, so I'm not sure what your compartments look like and if the factory set up is similar.

Thanks for the update!    Going to get this going as well.   

Did you do the aft tanks only?  Wonder how this may work with the 450 I have in the huge storage area across from the driver.   

Yeah, aft tanks only.  I have a center tank, but no bow tank.  I have a bow bag under the bow cushions, and that I still use the external pump (grrr), so that's my next project.

I would think that the principal would stay the same, regardless where the tank/bag is - tap into the fill hose, reroute the drain/vent hose from the factory tank to the bag, and then vent the bag out the factory thru-hull.

One thing I was going to mention, be sure to follow your hoses all the way from source to thru-hull or to pump.  I almost screwed my starboard side up, because I assumed that the overflow from the hard tank went to the same thru-hull as the port side.  Nope.  So if you have multiple hoses, be sure before you start disconnecting and/or cutting into them!