Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Response Monsoon 335 Bogs Down

I have a 2003 Response with the 335 Monsoon with about 650 hours.  It has run well through the years and properly maintained.  When running well and the wind/water are right it will do close to 50.  45 is typical - and very smooth running with good torque.  In the past couple outings it bogs down, that is, it won't go over about 20 mph or 2,000 rpm under load and seems very weak.  When I rev it in neutral it will rev up to 5,000 rpm with some shudder.  Gauges all read good, I've changed oil, plugs, fuel filter recently - the only maintenance item not done recently is cleaning the air filter.  Doesn't appear to be a drivetrain or propeller issue and the engine mounts look good.  There are couple plugs that seem to be fouled consistently.  I mention that because I wonder if it's an internal engine issue.

Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance.

Thanks, formulaben.  Should I bother checking the compression?  I don't venture past general maintenance but that's simple enough.  I could possibly change a head gasket but would have to have a mechanic bore cylinders if that's what it needs.

I'll take your advice, though, and try the TPS.

The TPS is a very simple and inexpensive fix.  When troubleshooting, start with the obvious & inexpensive first and move up in difficulty and cost.  The part is relatively inexpensive at your local parts store...just say it's for a 1999 Chevy Suburban and it should match; bring the old one in to verify a match.  If this doesn't solve it then I'd look at the fuel pressure before going any further.  Check your local auto parts store for a free/rental fuel pressure gauge. 

FYI, this all presumes good fuel in the tank right now and also presumes that your new fuel filter and spark plugs are not the cause of the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

if its not the distributor cap and rotor. Id look at the fuel injectors. there are inlet filter screens in each injector that are replacable. Its pretty common for the older 2000's to have this issue. it will rev great in neutral, no load rev uses much less fuel. sorry not many easy testes to find dirty injectors. and please don't try the use fuel treatments to cure this issue. It will not work...

14 minutes ago, Malibuguru0515 said:

if its not the distributor cap and rotor. Id look at the fuel injectors. there are inlet filter screens in each injector that are replacable. Its pretty common for the older 2000's to have this issue. it will rev great in neutral, no load rev uses much less fuel. sorry not many easy testes to find dirty injectors. and please don't try the use fuel treatments to cure this issue. It will not work...

Sorry to derail. Ugh. But, is it fairly easy to remove-inspect-replace fuel injectors. I have never done it.

Thanks,

Steve B.

Could it be old gas with ethanol?  I had a similar issue and the fuel lines were clogged.  The shopped soaked the lines in injector cleaner and then cleaned the injectors.  They said there was a lot of gummed up residue and thought it was ethanol related.  Since then, I've only ever used non-ethanol gas and haven't had an issue.

• 7 months later...

In case this helps someone with a similar issue - 

this ended up being the fuel pump.  During the course of this I've changed plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel pressure regulator, cleaned injectors, checked compression and tested/ replaced various switches/sensors (oil and water).  Just got it back from Mechanic #2 who says it's GTG.  Mechanic #1 did not diagnose properly.  Haven't water-tested yet but this guy seems legit.  Will report back if it turns out to be incorrect.

• Like 1