Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Fman LSV build - Larson Marine

Fman

I put my toolbox there, would be impossible to keep it there with a sleeve.   Good for you tho, glad it works for you just seems like it takes away access for storage imo.  I also like the two pullouts under the helm for when I am driving and want the heat :)

16 hours ago, Fman said:

I put my toolbox there, would be impossible to keep it there with a sleeve.   Good for you tho, glad it works for you just seems like it takes away access for storage imo.  I also like the two pullouts under the helm for when I am driving and want the heat :)

Did you remove the sleeve off of the walkway heater to get the sub box to fit?

1 hour ago, wbama387 said:

Did you remove the sleeve off of the walkway heater to get the sub box to fit?

Yes sleeve removed and I even cut off some more of the small plastic trim piece that stows the pullout tube, it's almost flush with the wall.

On 4/9/2017 at 3:29 PM, Fman said:

Yes, I like having two heater ports there by my knees!  They're not pullouts though.  Just fixed vents with grills screwed into the kick panel.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 11:09 AM, shawndoggy said:

another way to do it is:

pull the carpet off the kick panel (you can leave one side on and let it "flop")

with the box and trim panel in place, use a brad nailer and nail the kick panel to the box (temporarily)

use a router with a finishing trim bit to cut the circle to line up exactly with the circle in the box, then use a router rabbet bit to open the kick panel hole enough to fit over the sub.  The HDPE of the kick panel is soft and a router bit cuts it really easy.

now add a little contact cement (or just some spray 3M super77 glue) and flop the carpet back over the kick panel

once the glue cures, cut the hole in the  carpet and wrap around the kick panel hole.

done.

Once you've cut a perfectly round hole with a router it's hard to go back to the jigsaw hole.  Nobody notices the jigsaw jankiness but me.  But I notice so I use the router.

What thickness of kick panel? 

I followed Fman's logic mentioned above, but after I traced the hole on the back of the kick panel , I traced the exterior of the grill around that hole and cut the kick panel so the sub/grill mounted to the box fits through the kick panel opening.

I'd post a pic, but I've pretty much had it with Photobucket 

Edited by Stevo
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

What thickness of kick panel? 

I followed Fman's logic mentioned above, but after I traced the hole on the back of the kick panel , I traced the exterior of the grill around that hole and cut the kick panel so the sub/grill mounted to the box fits through the kick panel opening.

I'd post a pic, but I've pretty much had it with Photobucket 

Placing the sub inside the first cut and tracing is essentially the same thing.  However, I like your method better - easier to trace the grille than the sub.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:43 PM, Fman said:

@ctvandy23

How do they sound?

@Fman don't know yet.  I had them switched out by my dealer who also does audio install work.  Just didn't have the time this spring to do it myself. Heading up to lake next weekend, hoping to hear them then and retune the system!  

4 minutes ago, Fman said:

We are at 20 hours now, some of my thoughts on the 23 LSV.

Wakeboard wake - I have been towing some advanced riders and all of them are loving the wakeboard wake, adults - full hard tanks, 23.5 mph, wedge 4 clicks with 8 people in the boat and its been plenty big for everyone, lots of compliments on it.  My son at 14 who rides at advanced level is full ballast, 21.5 mph, wedge 3 clicks up and he also has been super pleased with it.  I would like to sack it out for the WB wake, I am pretty sure it could even get better.

PW2/LIFT - Love it, just like my 2015 it is a great way to plane out the boat quicker

Surf wave - We have been surfing with WM bags, hard tanks, at about 11 mph wedge 2-4 clicks up and no complaints on the wave.  I have a couple adults sit in the bow, pocket seems good with plenty of push.  I am sure there is more here available but honestlyI don't spend a lot of time dialing it in... I can have a blast behind it in this configuration and its easy to dial in.

G4 tower - Amazing tower, I REALLY like being able to tow with it down, I have zero bugs on my tower when I arrive and get home from the lake and its nice not having the wind resistance on it when towing.  The LED lights are great, and its about the easiest tower to raise and lower I have ever used before.  Now my only gripe is the tower speaker are too low.  If you are over 5'10 you will hit your head on them getting out of the observer seat area.  The center walkway is not a problem but imo they should raise that tower up another 6-8" and it would be better.  That being said I do like the placement of speakers along the top of the tower and not in the lower corners blasting peoples ears. The bimini has good coverage but takes a few times to get the hang of putting it up and down.  I dont care for the pin style system they put on the connectors, its difficult to turn them to lock the arm in.  After a few times I have gotten better with it and it is beginning to stretch out a little but definitely not a simple operation.  The pin would be the biggest change, just flip it around so you can access it a little easier.

Window mirror - "meh" at best, not a fan of it... I need to figure something out to expand the view.  I think I can get a wider mirror which might help, but I liked the tower mirror better.

PTM racks - the clamping racks are very nice, I have 4 of them on my tower.  It would be hard to go back to the bunji style again, they really are quick and easy to use.  My only gripe is the upper racks are not angled up enough, you can still get wakeboards in them but the bindings will touch and you have to slide them and work around the bindings.  The quad racks for us are a must, so nice not having any boards in lockers or laying in the boat.

Raptor 410/1.72 trans - This engine is a beast with the 1.72 transmission, its having zero issues with anything we throw at it.  I have been using about 7 GPH between surfing and heavy wakeboarding.  A littler more fuel consumption than I was hoping, I think my 409 was about 6.5 GPH.  I am not sure what transmission is in this boat but its smooth and quiet, no clank when I go into reverse like my 2015 did.

Surf pipe - A must imo, the Raptor is not loud at all with this option

2277 Prop - has been working great at 400 feet. I have not taken it up to 2000' yet, so not sure how it will work at that altitude.  Surfing at 11 mph we are at about 3400 rpms.

New vinyl - Cool to touch but jury is out on how easy it is going to clean up.  Time will tell, but I do like the feel of it.  Have not had a 100+ degree day so I gotta see how it goes

Standard carpet - "meh", it works for now but will be coming out this winter with either decadence or a spin off gator grip

PnP - Better than I expected, no issues with draining and filling.  I just need to use pre-sets when filling the rear tanks because I am not used to it continuing to run and fill the bags.  With the pre-sets it will fill the tanks 100% and shut off.

Adjustable height drivers seat - A+ on this, its been great not having to use extra bolster seat.

Malibu trailer - So far no issues, tows good and I REALLY like the rear extra step, it should be on EVERY trailer... so much easier to get out in and out of the boat (thanks @teamerickson for that recommendation)

Reversible wake view seating - Awesome, always use them and with the LSV its even better because you can stretch out your legs on both port and starboard sides.

Warranty claims - With all the fuss on "QC from Malibu" I was concerned about my first 20 hours.  So far I have 3 items to be addressed, no beeper for SG transfers (which might not even be avail with G4???), when I hit the horn when towing a rider the speed control goes fast then right back to the speed, my center windshield is slightly out of adjustment (16th of inch off).  Those are it, other than this it has been flawless for the first 20 hours.  I have no complaints and we have been running it hard, double ups, chop, heavy wakeboard and surfing.  And the stereo has been awesome, no issues - stereo delete and Exile! = :)  Surf 9's are projecting good enough for surf and wake boarding, crystal clear. 

The extra size coming from the 22VLX has been nice, especially with 8 people on the boat. It is noticeable, I can see why when guys go bigger its tough to take a step back into a smaller boat.  We are really enjoying the LSV I can definitely see why the LSV is the number one selling boat in the industry, it is a sweet ride, good size and great wakes.... isn't that what its all about?

4 minutes ago, Fman said:

Nice write up. You have reversible wakeview seating in a 23 LSV? Or are you referring to the chillax seats?

ahopkins22LSV

@Fman I think the beep for surf transfers is played through the stereo for 2017's. Maybe need to look into that because you did stereo delete? The only 2017s I have been in had the factory stereo. And I know there was a beep because it's loud as hell and though the tower speakers :shocked: 

8 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I am referring to the two flip up seats, I thought they were called wakeview seating.  One on the port side and one on starboard side.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@Fman I think the beep for surf transfers is played through the stereo for 2017's. Maybe need to look into that because you did stereo delete? The only 2017s I have been in had the factory stereo. And I know there was a beep because it's loud as hell and though the tower speakers :shocked: 

Ah... that makes sense... yeah I have it enabled in settings and I get the lights flashing on the G4.  The G4 lights are nice and bright but having the beeper was also great when your not looking at the tower.  Maybe I can find the wire under helm and add my own beeper somewhere.  I could see how linking to speakers would be annoying as heck and loud for everyone, plus it would be interrupting your music!

After using the 3.5mm plug in, I figured I should finally upgrade and get into 2017 technology and hooked up my Exile Bluetooth 4.0 (EXBT4) today.  I was not sure what to expect from this little gem but WOW this thing seems legit.   Super easy to sync up with my Samsung S7 phone and the sound quality is actually better than it was with the 3.5 cable.  Apparently the Exile BT kicks out 2.2 volts of output, I had to readjust my gains on my amps.  I walked about 50 feet away from the boat and it was still streaming with no issues.  Brian said 10 phones can be paired up to the device, if you turn your BT off at the phone it will autoseek everyone else.  What I do like is when you disable the bluetooth and turn back on its immediate with no delays.  Still need a water test and summer with it but so far it is looking like a nice upgrade.:)

20170509_213043_zps4c5mhdrw.jpg

We were out on the lake tonight and gave the Exile BT a good work out.  Zero problems with connectivity, syncing and range.  We could sit anywhere in the boat and never loose a connection.  It was also very easy to switch devices.

Why I did not do this sooner I have no idea!  Great addition to the system:)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I am at 20 hours on my 2017 LSV and so far I have zero issues! This is a vastly different experience from my 2016 VLX. Perhaps they stepped up their quality control this year.

• Like 3
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:04 AM, Fman said:

Officially back from the 20 hr service and ready for the summer!  I had two warranty claims in the first 20 hours of use, U channel bolts not completely tightened and zero off speed control wiring needed to be re-routed away from horn button which was causing interference when pressed.  Pretty easy fixes all way around.  I am really liking the new Raptor/1.72 trans combo with the 2277 prop.  I know there has been some chatter around this place about Quality Control from Malibu, I don't think two warranty claims for the first 20 hr service is unreasonable.  This has been about the norm for me on all my Malibu's I have owned.

Thanks again to Craig, James, Derek, Tommy and Mike at LARSON MARINE for always taking care of me.... its great to have such a fantastic dealer to work with.:thumbup:

20170519_102726_zpsrzb5vtji.jpg

Hey man, I met you last week at Larson when I was surf board shopping.  Just wanted to connect the dots, great looking boat!  I still need to get that pipe on my LSV ;-)