Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing stickers

• 4 weeks later...

I just winterized today and I say F that #3.  I ran RV antifreeze since I already had my pump hooked up from doing the jetskis.  The whole system doesn't hold a lot of fluid and it only took maybe a gallon to fill it.  I ran three to be sure their was a good mix.  Then I drained the heat exchanger, v-drive and #1.  I don't pull the raw water until spring b/c I use the boat from time to time in the winter and will do the impellor in the spring.  I'll look at the water flow/paddle wheel but I think I'll just use this process.  Took 15 mins start to finish.

Anyone know the bolt size for the vdrive?  I used a (cough) adjustable wrench b/c it was handy.  

On November 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Engine Nut said:

That is correct. The order does not really matter.

Want to confirm.  I have a 16 raptor and have the cylinder round looking heat exchanger.  (Not the one hulk posted).  I did not drain the transmission cooler as it was not listed in the Manual.  From reading previous post I assume that all coolers are bundled in to that heat exchanger correct?

here is what I did:

drain cylinder looking heat exchanger

drain manifold crossover hose

drain v drive

remove impeller

that is what the manual indicated.

one question I have is it necessary to pull the impeller cover? I plan on using boat during winter and don't like pulling that cover off and possibly tearing gasket.  No water drained out of it as I could see...

• 10 months later...

Hey guys! This is awesome stuff! I’ll delete my other post now that I’ve read this one. Quick question....

I’m storing in a climate controlled place kept at 65 degrees and 60% humidity. Would you recommend draining any of these? 

Also, is fogging the cylinders a highly recommended thing? Seems easy, just want to get it there today! 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, LS1boarder said:

Hey guys! This is awesome stuff! I’ll delete my other post now that I’ve read this one. Quick question....

I’m storing in a climate controlled place kept at 65 degrees and 60% humidity. Would you recommend draining any of these? 

Also, is fogging the cylinders a highly recommended thing? Seems easy, just want to get it there today! 

Thanks! 

Drain all water - heated is fine until the heat goes out

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Drain all water - heated is fine until the heat goes out

Yeah I was thinking the same, but it’s in a cave so even if the heat goes out, it’s always 52 degrees. I was more worried about water sitting in there than freezing. Is that something I should worry about? 

What do you think about fogging? 

Thanks man! 

6 minutes ago, LS1boarder said:

Yeah I was thinking the same, but it’s in a cave so even if the heat goes out, it’s always 52 degrees. I was more worried about water sitting in there than freezing. Is that something I should worry about? 

What do you think about fogging? 

Thanks man! 

I don't fog engines that are only sitting 6-8 months, but if you do fog then make sure to pull the plugs and fog through each plug hole - not the intake.

Water sitting anywhere can cause corrosion, not sure how big a deal that is but I always fill mine with antifreeze that has corrosion inhibitors so that I don't get as much rust scale during storage.

I used a crescent wrench on mine.   I don't know the size, but it doesn't take much to break it loose.  And by far, more water came out of that than any other spot.  

I had my dealer install the drain whip off #3 (like is standard on the 2017s).  Man, I'm glad I did that.   Not sure how I'd get to it otherwise.  

On 10/29/2017 at 10:29 PM, hethj7 said:

I used a crescent wrench on mine.   I don't know the size, but it doesn't take much to break it loose.  And by far, more water came out of that than any other spot.  

I had my dealer install the drain whip off #3 (like is standard on the 2017s).  Man, I'm glad I did that.   Not sure how I'd get to it otherwise.  

I still have never found this plug.. need to have dealer install whip or could try myself if I could see or reach it..are u able to send any pic if general are yours was located at? .. I'm in heated storage so not overly concerned but would be nice to know.

I was going to take mine in for oil/trans fluid changes but got busy and dealers are all backed up and didn't feel like letting my boat sit out for who knows how long... Just going to make a day appointment in spring to drop off and pick up in afternoon.. or so I hope.. Factory covers are not great IMO for setting outside in rain.. 

I will try, but it is currently all covered tight and sitting in an outside storage lot at the lake (where the trailer sits during the season). The next time I will see it will likely be to just hook it up and immediately drop it off for winter cave storage which I have already made an appointment for.  

If I don’t get a pic, I assume a 2017 owner may be able to help as well if they already have the whip installed.  

@The Hulk  tough to get a photo, but this is what I could get.  

The engine mount is shown on the left of the photo for reference and you can just see the 3 of 5 sticker on the right.   This was taken with side panel removed and laying in the starboard side rear locker.   My dealer added the drain whip off the bottom right under that sticker.   Honestly, I can’t even slide my hand under there to get the whip out it is so tight so I have no clue how you would drain it without the whip.  Luckily I found the other end of the whip up in the tranny compartment, but I know that doesn’t help most 2016 owners that don’t have a whip.  Good luck!

B36160DA-2871-4334-AB0B-E5FA390C06F2.jpeg

On my ‘16 I pulled the hose off the V-Drive and removed the plug from the heat exchanger. Then filled the hose with AF until it ran out the heat exchanger. There’s very little room in there to pull drain #3. Haven’t drained my ‘17 yet. Hope there’s a drain whip hose there. 

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Fingers Crossed...

I just winterized and they did add a whip on it.  You can actually see it facing transmission looking towards transom.  It's down on the starboard side of the engine around the motor mount.  It's kind of hard to find and not super easy to remove the cap.  They could of added another 3" of hose and it would have made it ten times easier.  It dumped quite a bit of water out of it.

I can't believe how simple winterization on the raptor is and it's going to be super easy installing new impeller in the spring.  Will be sad to see this motor go away so far after 100 hours it's been fantastic on everything including ease of maintenance. 

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
On 11/4/2017 at 1:47 PM, hethj7 said:

@The Hulk  tough to get a photo, but this is what I could get.  

The engine mount is shown on the left of the photo for reference and you can just see the 3 of 5 sticker on the right.   This was taken with side panel removed and laying in the starboard side rear locker.   My dealer added the drain whip off the bottom right under that sticker.   Honestly, I can’t even slide my hand under there to get the whip out it is so tight so I have no clue how you would drain it without the whip.  Luckily I found the other end of the whip up in the tranny compartment, but I know that doesn’t help most 2016 owners that don’t have a whip.  Good luck!

B36160DA-2871-4334-AB0B-E5FA390C06F2.jpeg

Is that white hose with red and blue lines the "whip?

You're right. I found the "whip", it's a black hose coming out under that 3 of 5 sticker routed forward towards the transmission.

Before anyone else bloodies up their hands, look for a black hose zip tied to an aluminum pipe with a blue plastic wingnut on the end. The hose is too short to reach and on top of that is ziptied back in a place that makes it hard to move. It took me about an hour to reach something in there to cut that ziptie and wiggle the hose to a place where I could remove the blue wingnut. Water did come out so I'd recommend dealing with it. 

Who's the genius that came up with this design?

Edited by gobble
On 11/7/2016 at 9:14 AM, Engine Nut said:

The Indmar parts that you need are as follows:

605921   1/8 NPT (Male Thread) x 5/16 Hose Barb Straight Brass

605926   1/8 NPT (Female Thread) x 5/16 Hose Barb Straight Brass

605019 Fitting Adapter 1/8 NPT (Male Thread) x 1/2-13 (for wing nut drain plug)

605176 Plug Winged 1/2 W/O-Ring

You will also need a couple of small hose clamps and a piece of 5/16" ID hose. Our standard length for the drain whip is 12 inches but you can make it any length that is convenient.

Where can these parts be purchased @Engine Nut

1 hour ago, Hentz said:

Where can these parts be purchased @Engine Nut

We have created a kit with all of the required parts. The P/N for the kit is 495950. Any authorized dealer can order for you or you can call inboardonline at 877-327-7175 and they can get it for you. 

2 hours ago, Engine Nut said:

We have created a kit with all of the required parts. The P/N for the kit is 495950. Any authorized dealer can order for you or you can call inboardonline at 877-327-7175 and they can get it for you. 

thanks... can a normal human install this? and whats the process since you can not even get your hand down there?