Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing stickers

8 minutes ago, Engine Nut said:

The 1/8" NPT brass plug that is in the trans cooler is not the same thread as the blue plastic wing nut.

in the photo above the bolt removed looks black and not brass?

3 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

can we purchase that hose setup from our dealer if so whats the part referenced or number? just wanting to keep it simple and easy so i can use boat earlier/later in the season with a quick 5-min draining for those cold nights below freezing...currently with #3 position thats more hassle than what its worth.. 

17s have a digital flow sensor instead of a paddle wheel? 

I will look up the parts when I get to work on Monday and post them here.

The 2017 models have temperature sensors in each of the stainless steel exhaust elbows that monitor the temperature of the outer wall of the catalytic converter housing.

1 hour ago, Engine Nut said:

1 hour ago, Engine Nut said:

On a 2016 model you could also loosen the water flow paddlewheel which is between the trans cooler and raw water pump. Loosening the paddlewheel would drain the trans cooler and the hose. The 2017 models do not have a water flow paddlewheel.

Interesting.  I did do this first because I could reach it without any trouble.  I heard a gurgle sound but never saw or felt any water.  The lack of water is what lead me to finish tracking down the real drain before winter which I did get a fair amount of water out of. 

So you think just pulling the paddle wheel is enough to winterize it given I still got water out of the transmission cooler?

On Friday, November 04, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Engine Nut said:

I will look up the parts when I get to work on Monday and post them here.

The 2017 models have temperature sensors in each of the stainless steel exhaust elbows that monitor the temperature of the outer wall of the catalytic converter housing.

The Indmar parts that you need are as follows:

605921   1/8 NPT (Male Thread) x 5/16 Hose Barb Straight Brass

605926   1/8 NPT (Female Thread) x 5/16 Hose Barb Straight Brass

605019 Fitting Adapter 1/8 NPT (Male Thread) x 1/2-13 (for wing nut drain plug)

605176 Plug Winged 1/2 W/O-Ring

You will also need a couple of small hose clamps and a piece of 5/16" ID hose. Our standard length for the drain whip is 12 inches but you can make it any length that is convenient.

On Saturday, November 05, 2016 at 0:25 AM, store934 said:

Interesting.  I did do this first because I could reach it without any trouble.  I heard a gurgle sound but never saw or felt any water.  The lack of water is what lead me to finish tracking down the real drain before winter which I did get a fair amount of water out of.

So you think just pulling the paddle wheel is enough to winterize it given I still got water out of the transmission cooler?

Pulling the paddlewheel would do it as long as the boat is positioned bow down so the paddlewheel is lower than the trans cooler.

7 minutes ago, Engine Nut said:

Pulling the paddlewheel would do it as long as the boat is positioned bow down so the paddlewheel is lower than the trans cooler.

The paddle wheel which is the water flow sensor. Is way easier to unscrew and do then the other thing it recommends for 3of5.

"the manual also states you can pull the water flow sensor on the same line"

wouldn't or "shouldn't" malibu or Indmar send out a Major notice?  Following the manual could result in damage. The #3 is basically impossible to find let alone access and not shown under winterizing section of manual.

im not complaining just thinking form the other perspective, I would imagine some liability issues forthcoming now that temps in much of the north are falling below zero and there is no notice about this on the 2016's unless i've missed it?

i mean there are probably only 1 out of 200 people on TMC with a 2016... how many people will be winterizing on their own especially looking at the manual and how easy AB(C) is...+ trans....might need to be updated to A,B,C,D,+Trans or simply A,B,C,D,E / 1,2,3,4,5. I would just think Indmar to update PDF + send Notice to malibu and or end users + Malibu sending notice and or applying the whip -hose fix... 

just seems a bit odd nothings happened on this unless the chance of damage from not draining #3 is so minimal nobody has decided to take action? Given the brand is new i would think both parties to be on it quicker.. 

On side Note: not sure what indmar charges for above parts, but sounds like $20 at local hardware store would do the job. 

Edited by The Hulk
On 11/7/2016 at 0:44 PM, The Hulk said:

wouldn't or "shouldn't" malibu or Indmar send out a Major notice?  Following the manual could result in damage. The #3 is basically impossible to find let alone access and not shown under winterizing section of manual.

im not complaining just thinking form the other perspective, I would imagine some liability issues forthcoming now that temps in much of the north are falling below zero and there is no notice about this on the 2016's unless i've missed it?

i mean there are probably only 1 out of 200 people on TMC with a 2016... how many people will be winterizing on their own especially looking at the manual and how easy AB(C) is...+ trans....might need to be updated to A,B,C,D,+Trans or simply A,B,C,D,E / 1,2,3,4,5. I would just think Indmar to update PDF + send Notice to malibu and or end users + Malibu sending notice and or applying the whip -hose fix... 

just seems a bit odd nothings happened on this unless the chance of damage from not draining #3 is so minimal nobody has decided to take action? Given the brand is new i would think both parties to be on it quicker.. 

On side Note: not sure what indmar charges for above parts, but sounds like $20 at local hardware store would do the job. 

In my manual it says to remove the waterflow sensor for number 3. On the 2016 manual 20vtx.  They should probably move the blue sticker over the the waterflow sensor though.  Very hard to see under the engine.

Edited by klingsdesigns
2 hours ago, klingsdesigns said:

In my manual it says to remove the waterflow sensor for number 3. On the 2016 manual 20vtx.  They should probably move the blue sticker over the the waterflow sensor though.  Very hard to see under the engine.

"Remove the water drain/anode from the heat exchanger. This will drain the heat exchanger, engine oil cooler and water flow sensor. The sacrificial portion of the anode is approximately 1-1/2" (38 mm) when the anode is new. If the sacrificial portion of your anode is less than 3/4" (19 mm), it needs to be replaced. We recommend leaving the water drain/anode out of the heat exchanger until you recommission the boat in the spring."

so from what ive read it technically its saying removing heat exchanger plug WILL drain that when as noted above it does not drain #3 properly. 

i searched whole manual: where in the manual does it actually say to remove the water-flow sensor?

i did a Ctrl+F search on the doc for water flow sensor its only listed in section B for winter layup (above). its not mentioned anywhere else in the manual. i even did a search for "sensor" "flow" "water" as well and its only listed once.. just saying from reading the manual and the impossible to find #3 sticker it seems a bit odd Indmar wouldnt update manuals and send notices as well as malibu.. seems like a LOT of potential liability that one would think both parties would want to be on top of...

Although a notice is in essence "admitting something" and putting them on the hook for for "improper" winterization instructions... while saying nothing is easy to blame it on end user not doing it correctly...

hard to believe... given that the dealer pointed out one of the GREAT ADVANTAGES of buying a 2016 is its SUPER EASY to winterize yourself!.... :bash:

15 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

"Remove the water drain/anode from the heat exchanger. This will drain the heat exchanger, engine oil cooler and water flow sensor. The sacrificial portion of the anode is approximately 1-1/2" (38 mm) when the anode is new. If the sacrificial portion of your anode is less than 3/4" (19 mm), it needs to be replaced. We recommend leaving the water drain/anode out of the heat exchanger until you recommission the boat in the spring."

so from what ive read it technically its saying removing heat exchanger plug WILL drain that when as noted above it does not drain #3 properly.

i searched whole manual: where in the manual does it actually say to remove the water-flow sensor?

i did a Ctrl+F search on the doc for water flow sensor its only listed in section B for winter layup (above). its not mentioned anywhere else in the manual. i even did a search for "sensor" "flow" "water" as well and its only listed once.. just saying from reading the manual and the impossible to find #3 sticker it seems a bit odd Indmar wouldnt update manuals and send notices as well as malibu.. seems like a LOT of potential liability that one would think both parties would want to be on top of...

Although a notice is in essence "admitting something" and putting them on the hook for for "improper" winterization instructions... while saying nothing is easy to blame it on end user not doing it correctly...

hard to believe... given that the dealer pointed out one of the GREAT ADVANTAGES of buying a 2016 is its SUPER EASY to winterize yourself!.... :bash:

I think you might have the wrong manual. I am assuming that your engine is a 2016 model. Does it have a round vertical heat exchanger for the FWC system or is it the rectangular chest style? The text that you have included refers to the earlier style cylindrical heat exchanger which had the engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler and water flow sensor all together.

Look at the back of your Indmar Operator's manual. There is a part number on the lower left corner of the manual, what is the part number? For a 2016 Model it should be OME0902-16. I suspect that yours is an OME0902-15 or 15SC. That certainly might explain some of the confusion.

9 minutes ago, Engine Nut said:

I think you might have the wrong manual. I am assuming that your engine is a 2016 model. Does it have a round vertical heat exchanger for the FWC system or is it the rectangular chest style? The text that you have included refers to the earlier style cylindrical heat exchanger which had the engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler and water flow sensor all together.

Look at the back of your Indmar Operator's manual. There is a part number on the lower left corner of the manual, what is the part number? For a 2016 Model it should be OME0902-16. I suspect that yours is an OME0902-15 or 15SC. That certainly might explain some of the confusion.

If that is the P/N # for the 2016 then this website was supplied with the wrong Engine Manual in the Resources section of this website as well. IIRC, we have already updated that manual one time this year for another mistake. 

Larry, can you send me the correct copy of the manual in PDF form?

59 minutes ago, Engine Nut said:

Don't have boat anymore.. it's 3.5 hrs away at dealer.. looked at some previous pics.. mine seems more box like flat than what the pic in manual looks like.. u can see from this pic it's like a big flat box for heat exchanger so is this a 15 model?

There is a blue hand knobs to drain heat exchanger below Blue sticker on right.. impeller is sticker on left

rps20161108_180130.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
18 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Don't have boat anymore.. it's 3.5 hrs away at dealer.. looked at some previous pics.. mine seems more box like flat than what the pic in manual looks like.. u can see from this pic it's like a big flat box for heat exchanger so is this a 15 model?

There is a blue hand knobs to drain heat exchanger below Blue sticker on right.. impeller is sticker on left

rps20161108_180130.jpg

That is definitely a 2016/2017 style heat exchanger. We just need to determine which manual you have. Send me a message at my Indmar e-mail .... [email protected] and I will send an electronic copy of a 2016 manual to you

My manual for my 2016 23 LSV says exactly the same thing as @The Hulk and my heat exchanger is the one pictured above.  I was scratching my head as I didn't have anything that looked like the picture in the manual.  Did Malibu really give me a manual that doesn't apply to the required process on my boat?

Dave

Unless the dealer's are just grabbing a standard Malibu bag toat with manual throwing it in the boat at time of purchase and not realizing they are different manuals.. 

Edited by The Hulk
24 minutes ago, malibuskier2003 said:

My manual for my 2016 23 LSV says exactly the same thing as @The Hulk and my heat exchanger is the one pictured above.  I was scratching my head as I didn't have anything that looked like the picture in the manual.  Did Malibu really give me a manual that doesn't apply to the required process on my boat?

Dave

Yup

Also interesting is that in the link above (A) is different as well instead of opening up the impeller cover there is a plastic drain in the bottom of the hose now ? or older versions?  so there is apparently 3 different styles from what I've seen now! 

TMC may want to post both PDFs to cover  all 3 versions engine/styles/procedures

Edited by The Hulk
40 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Unless this is correct manual with added page called premium models cooling ? (Of 72 of this link)?

https://issuu.com/ncarrera/docs/ford_6.2l_operator_s_manual

That looks like my manual except my flow sensor pointed up which explains why I did not get any water out when I pulled it.   I will have to see if I can twist it around.  That can be reached without removing any flooring but I did not trust it since there was a lack of water.   

Just now, store934 said:

That looks like my manual except my flow sensor pointed up which explains why I did not get any water out when I pulled it.   I will have to see if I can twist it around.  That can be reached without removing any flooring but I did not trust it since there was a lack of water.   

Depending on how your boat is sitting I think the plug is slightly lower position than the water flow sensor if I recall.. granted a tiny bit of water at a slight slope in the pipe if left open won't hurt

2 minutes ago, store934 said:

51 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Unless this is correct manual with added page called premium models cooling ? (Of 72 of this link)?

https://issuu.com/ncarrera/docs/ford_6.2l_operator_s_manual

The manual associated with this link is the manual that pertains to 2016 models. The premium engines referred to are the engines with the rectangular chest style heat exchanger.

2 minutes ago, Engine Nut said:

The manual associated with this link is the manual that pertains to 2016 models. The premium engines referred to are the engines with the rectangular chest style heat exchanger.

Pg 73 shows an added drain for the older 2015 round cylinder styles between heat exchanger and impeller that differs slightly as well by not having to remove impeller cover..so others may want to take note of that if the have it.