Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

38 minutes ago, Sixball said:

I have never had the opportunity to ski the 200 Nautique. A lot of good talk about them.  They do have A significant wider beam if I remember. I think the left hand rotation went away with the Ford power. The 196 kept the left hand rotation with the transmission.  I may be wrong but I do know the old 196 has a excellent  wake.  I love our bu's wake but they do take a tad more work to make the same rating IMHO. 

Malibus have LH rotation.  Nautiques have RH rotation.  RH rotating prop (or clockwise from the stern view) will lift the starboard side and drive the port side into the water.  LH rotation will do the opposite.  It pushes the starboard side down.  That's why 'bus surf better on the right side of the wake.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Malibus have LH rotation.  Nautiques have RH rotation.  RH rotating prop (or clockwise from the stern view) will lift the starboard side and drive the port side into the water.  LH rotation will do the opposite.  It pushes the starboard side down.  That's why 'bus surf better on the right side of the wake.

The only Nautiques that are RH rotation are the SN200's. All others are LH rotation and have been for a number of years. 

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Would a RH Rotation not be preferred for skiing? It would counteract the weight of the driver, where LH would intensify the driver weight?  

5 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Would a RH Rotation not be preferred for skiing? It would counteract the weight of the driver, where LH would intensify the driver weight?  

Yes, which is what the gents above were talking about.

11 hours ago, footndale said:

If you are in Winter Haven area, the boats are there now.

USA Water Ski Assoc, lake.

14853177_10154187622449542_1200539928963

Maybe just a bad angle to form an opinion but looks like the Bimini on the Bu does a great job of shading the windshield but not a great job of shading the driver. On my '13 TXi I purposely asked the dealer not to install the Bimini to the factory location as I felt it was mounted too far forward on all the factory team boats. I had it moved back 7.5" from factory position. The set back position did a much better job of shading the driver and passengers. I believe the reason the factory team boats Bimini location was set as it was so that the rear support arm was set directly beside where the windshield ended so as not to inhibit rope path for short line skiing. We are not shortline skiers (gasp) so this was not an issue for us. Looks like there would have been no issue mounting the Bimini further back to be more effective at achieving its intended purpose on the new boats even at shortline lengths. 

Edited by Dacon62
14 hours ago, Sixball said:

If you run with a just a driver the wake is bad. the driver side is always pushing down on our bu's  Maybe its more in the hull but the 196 is not affected at all ! If you are looking at hard core skiers well skiing without a spotter is more then common. 

Wow.  I didn't realize a "listed" slalom boat with the slightest shape difference on one side was "bad", but so be it these days.  In my 3 responses could you "tell", moreso on the lxi, barely on the LX, but they were never "bad".

Bring along 3 30# dumbells and move as you see fit.  Poor man's MTS.

In any event, the drawbacks of RH far out weigh the benefits of "just driver" skiing (boats backs left in a direction you can't see).

Edited by 85 Barefoot
2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Wow.  I didn't realize a "listed" slalom boat with the slightest shape difference on one side was "bad", but so be it these days.  In my 3 responses could you "tell", moreso on the lxi, barely on the LX, but they were never "bad".

Bring along 3 30# dumbells and move as you see fit.  Poor man's MTS.

In any event, the drawbacks of RH far out weigh the benefits of "just driver" skiing (boats backs left in a direction you can't see).

I think the weight sensitivity was the #1 disappointment on my 07. I don't know if I thought the Diamond hull was as noticeable and I have not run the TXI. Its not a big deal as I keep two six gallon buckets with tops that I can dip and cover, place as needed for just a driver and skier. The wake is not a stopper its just much different then a well balanced boat. It also has a spry issue when out of balance for short rope in a slight breeze.  I might be picky but then I am comparing it with what maybe the best at the time slalom boat  the 196.  I still love my Rlxi      

43 minutes ago, Sixball said:

I think the weight sensitivity was the #1 disappointment on my 07. I don't know if I thought the Diamond hull was as noticeable and I have not run the TXI. Its not a big deal as I keep two six gallon buckets with tops that I can dip and cover, place as needed for just a driver and skier. The wake is not a stopper its just much different then a well balanced boat. It also has a spry issue when out of balance for short rope in a slight breeze.  I might be picky but then I am comparing it with what maybe the best at the time slalom boat  the 196.  I still love my Rlxi      

should be easy to rig up a simple ballast system under the observer seat with one of these and a reversible pump.  Probably do it for $300 all-in.

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-brick.html

https://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ultra-ballast-pump.html

• Like 2

Adding to the listing topic, actually most boats list if not balanced or asymmetrical load not accounted for.  Both the CC196 & 200's I have skied behind list with a 200# driver & no observer.  As noted by others, I also balance my slalom tractor for side to side loading.  It does make a difference in having a symmetrical wake and with spray at short line lengths.  Pretty easy to account for or even set up a DIY system as noted by @UWSkier, & @Sixball.

Looking forward to hear about the wake & driving characteristics of the new Bu slalom tractor from more users.  For me, trunkless is not an issue, I prefer the easy step over as usage is on a small private lake with a ski course nearby.  Covered side ski storage ala CC200 is a great alternative although does not address the sunpad issue.  Will be interesting to see the reaction to the more utilitarian configuration compared to the current TXI which certainly checks the family slalom boat boxes with trunk/sunpad configuration.  Bottom line, great to see an upgraded or new design slalom boat released.  From the conference call, the engineering gang at Malibu certainly know that they will be kept busy designing new boats...

@Dinsdale:  both the CC196 & 200's are RH rotation props, at least the ones I have driven which is a small sample size.

11 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

should be easy to rig up a simple ballast system under the observer seat with one of these and a reversible pump.  Probably do it for $300 all-in.

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-brick.html

https://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ultra-ballast-pump.html

This shape might work better under the seat, and it's only $50 to $60.

https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-big-bag-150-ballast-bag.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhbzABRDHw_i4q6fXoLIBEiQANZKGWytAlLGgkjYL17Cl0nAgix83FNa-tG-HSxePeFfBteUaAiBy8P8HAQ

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

Wow.  Goes to show you everyone has different tastes.  It wouldn't be in the top 3 for me.  I'd even prefer the bubble back or early 2000s prostar.  The 2007 generation lxi was not the greatest but worse than a 196?  what's your line length and speed?  Don't you run something weird like 37 mph and 38 off?

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@Dinsdale:  both the CC196 & 200's are RH rotation props, at least the ones I have driven which is a small sample size.

The Nautique direct drives are all RH rotation. The V's have all been LH rotation since 2007. 

I was really hoping with a response redesign that Malibu would get the ski racks in the gunnel that Mastercraft has.   Those are sweet.   From the pics, it doesn't look like they only have a tiny opening for storage in the side.   Where do ski's go?

The one picture did look like it had a ski rack in the back, but it looked like only a single ski and the ski would go right across the walk area.   Seems like an odd location to store a ski.

Of course I'm making assumptions, maybe they have some $uper option for ski storage.   All I know is if someone comes up with a good idea (Mastercraft's ski storage), why not steal it (like everyone else did with Surfgate)

@CedarLakeSkier:  When I first saw the MC ski rack, my impression was also 'very cool' until I realized that when I store my ski, a Goode (so now you know where this is going) between sets I want to make sure the sun does not send it's evil rays upon the delicate black carbon fiber:)  So, typically I throw my gear bag & vest/shorts over the ski when not in use if it sits on the floor.  When in an MC, I ended up simply putting the ski on the floor so I could cover it.  I am not panning the idea or the rack itself, just indicating it may not be the solution for all.  I have a covered spot for the ski in my Bu.

13 minutes ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

I was really hoping with a response redesign that Malibu would get the ski racks in the gunnel that Mastercraft has.   Those are sweet.   From the pics, it doesn't look like they only have a tiny opening for storage in the side.   Where do ski's go?

The one picture did look like it had a ski rack in the back, but it looked like only a single ski and the ski would go right across the walk area.   Seems like an odd location to store a ski.

Of course I'm making assumptions, maybe they have some $uper option for ski storage.   All I know is if someone comes up with a good idea (Mastercraft's ski storage), why not steal it (like everyone else did with Surfgate)

Oh ye of little faith.... As more pictures come out it sure appears that Malibu has considered what every swerver may or may not want. Assume nothing at this point. There will be enough versatility in these models for everyones personal taste. :)

15 minutes ago, Malibu Mike D1 said:

Oh ye of little faith.... As more pictures come out it sure appears that Malibu has considered what every swerver may or may not want. Assume nothing at this point. There will be enough versatility in these models for everyones personal taste. :)

You've got the intel it seems.  Curious about the bow treatment.  It's not a picklefork, but it looks like the boat has cheeks.  Is that for space?  Functionality?  Or just because? :)

1 minute ago, UWSkier said:

You've got the intel it seems.  Curious about the bow treatment.  It's not a picklefork, but it looks like the boat has cheeks.  Is that for space?  Functionality?  Or just because? :)

Or just because......

???? Boat is a little wider????  Which in theory could fall into functionality of the new hull or additional /workable room in the bow, all in theory mind you.....

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Wow.  Goes to show you everyone has different tastes.  It wouldn't be in the top 3 for me.  I'd even prefer the bubble back or early 2000s prostar.  The 2007 generation lxi was not the greatest but worse than a 196?  what's your line length and speed?  Don't you run something weird like 37 mph and 38 off?

35 off @36mph   I have only skied one pre 196. The model before the 196, good but I like the 196 better. Skied many MC's but not the new one. I thought the wakes a tad crisper then the rest but A good ski. And pre cut diamond Rlxi's  and of course the cut diamond 07. MB boss 190 ( older MC mold) good. SS lxi as good as my 07 Rlxi if not loaded with more then four or five people. Malibu Euro f3 Good.  I want to ski a Carbon Pro and any of the new tractors.  

36 minutes ago, Sixball said:

35 off @36mph   I have only skied one pre 196. The model before the 196, good but I like the 196 better. Skied many MC's but not the new one. I thought the wakes a tad crisper then the rest but A good ski. And pre cut diamond Rlxi's  and of course the cut diamond 07. MB boss 190 ( older MC mold) good. SS lxi as good as my 07 Rlxi if not loaded with more then four or five people. Malibu Euro f3 Good.  I want to ski a Carbon Pro and any of the new tractors.  

Just curious, but why?  Just like that hair on fire feeling?  No offense but I'm pretty sure you're older than 35?

35 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Just curious, but why?  Just like that hair on fire feeling?  No offense but I'm pretty sure you're older than 35?

I'm usually a 34 MPH guy these days with ZO, but there's something about 36, especially hand-throttled or with PP, that does it for me.  I think it's because with my size, I struggle to get free enough at 34 and the ski doesn't ride as high.  36 feels much more effortless... most of the time...

4 hours ago, Woodski said:

@CedarLakeSkier:  When I first saw the MC ski rack, my impression was also 'very cool' until I realized that when I store my ski, a Goode (so now you know where this is going) between sets I want to make sure the sun does not send it's evil rays upon the delicate black carbon fiber:)  So, typically I throw my gear bag & vest/shorts over the ski when not in use if it sits on the floor.  When in an MC, I ended up simply putting the ski on the floor so I could cover it.  I am not panning the idea or the rack itself, just indicating it may not be the solution for all.  I have a covered spot for the ski in my Bu.

Woodski,

I get it.  I have a ski rack for my tower and I haven't used it in years.   Having the ski inside the boat, even hanging on the side, gives it enough shade for my liking... well at least enough to overcome my irritation of having skis on the floor.

Suggestion.. Keep your Goode in the locker and all you ski partners can have their skis in the MC Ski Rack :-)

I think it would be easier to work up some type of cover for the MC ski racks than to not have them, although Malibu Mike insinuates that perhaps Malibu has come up with a better option.  Let's hope, wait, and see

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I am 65. Why do I like the 196?  Its absolutely the softest small wake.  I like the handling of my Rlxi  Still love the balance on the 196 with just a driver and we are both just over 200 lbs it runs flat and A symmetrical wake.  Don't get me wrong I would not pass a pull behind any of the post 1999 boats and some before.  Why 36 mph its just so fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't mind 34mph but nothing slower!  Well as long as we don't get a course back and most of the old farts are just fine with aggressive open water skiing. I would love a course but maybe the only one.  I am also skiing as good as ever. I have been working on fitness and stile and its payed off.