Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

@asp13:  Depending on construction, another potential advantage can be boat weight.  The Echelon OB carried a 50 # weight penalty over it's CB cousin per the Malibu specification sheet.  That can be good or bad as feedback from CC196 owners indicate that the OB version had a better wake and the CB gang would add weight to compensate.  The OB weight is at the front, so that would tend to tip the nose down which can help the wake.  Subtle, but still a potential factor.  Another factor, dogs hate closed bow boats...

Just as a comment as we are on the OB/CB debate, the new MC Prostar incorporates a hard cover on the OB which kind of makes it a convertible hardtop so to speak, very cool in concept.  What I noticed is how heavy the fiberglass cover is and you have seats & OB structure still under it when in use.  I can't comment on wake effect as I have not done an A-B nor heard any comments on effect.  Would be interesting to do/hear though.

Bottom line, looking forward to see, feel, (drool on:) and ultimately try the new Response.  If they can hit it out of the park like they did with the SV23 hull, it should be incredible, that would be a very tall order given where the bar is today with several great options on the market.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I had a closed bow Echelon and on open bow, same years, side by side and rode them around the lake.  The closed bow is a different experience, you feel like you are capped in, behind the windshield.  Although it has the walk thru window, very hard to get up front to grab something (pier, trailer, etc.).  The open bow has a more open experience (obvious), more maneuverability.  I have a color matched bow cover too that I can snap on, if I want to close off the front to limit wind flow, or store stuff.  If it is strictly a slalom tug, then you probably won't need much storage anyway, since you are only going out with some jackets and skis, all of which come out of the boat to dry when done.  I could not find an upside to the closed bow.57c5df5c9a771_2016Closedandopenbows2comp

The closed bow is a very good looking boat. Not that the open bow isn't. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Sixball said:

The closed bow is a very good looking boat. Not that the open bow isn't. 

I agree.  I was trying hard to find a way to justify them both.  I was going to keep one at home at the slip and the other at the cottage.  Then we went under contract on the cottage, so had to sell it.  That's the 454 one.

But, I don't think the debate was on looks, but on worth & functionality.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

I agree.  I was trying hard to find a way to justify them both.  I was going to keep one at home at the slip and the other at the cottage.  Then we went under contract on the cottage, so had to sell it.  That's the 454 one.

But, I don't think the debate was on looks, but on worth & functionality.

I agree but just thinking how nice the, That closed bow looks. When we had a bigger family at home and when I bought my boat I didn't think twice about open or closed. We wanted the open bow. Well at least-my wife was set on it. She was use to the V drive and liked the open cockpit. In reality I bet we used the front less the ten times. As said the walk threw is convenient for other things.  And after all The open bow Rlxi did not suffer from the open bow. I still like twenty five may be thirty pounds in the nose of my boat. 

Two observation spots with closed bow.  Don't need an air dam on cold mornings.  Defrost works better.  However more difficult to wipe down when putting away each morning.  

The worst thing was I polished the heck out of that gel, had it like a mirror.  So even if I went up front to do something, if there were just a few drops of water, I'd be in the lake!

Bow 3 resized.jpg

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Best thing about a closed bow boat is rarely done. Perfect place for some artwork. There was a beautiful example of this a year or two ago with a member that put a zombie girl on the bow.

I have a Bud Tour logo on my M/C from 1994.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

The worst thing was I polished the heck out of that gel, had it like a mirror.  So even if I went up front to do something, if there were just a few drops of water, I'd be in the lake!

Bow 3 resized.jpg

Did this boat stay in Michigan?

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Michigan boarder's pics of that CB Echelon after the TLC just remind us of how gorgeous those boats are, truly a stellar design and IMO timeless beauty.  @River Monsters & @85 Barefoot just remind us how old we are when we remember Hot Summer Nights fondly ...  

I used to have a box of VHS tapes with years of hotsummer nights recorded.  Used to watch every so often.  Appears my wife has tossed them now.

1 hour ago, footndale said:

Did this boat stay in Michigan?

Yessir!!  The boat is in the process of being purchased, hope to finalize the transaction tomorrow or Sunday.  It almost made its way to Wisconsin, Iowa, or Indiana.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with my dealer earler this week, and all he could offer is this,  I have yet to see the new Response ,  as it will be released in Nov.

and it will come in two flavours , open bow and closed bow. And that the LXR  is discontinued, wich doesn't suprise me.

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 5:21 AM, Michigan boarder said:

Bow 3 resized.jpg

Michigan,  does this pic ever remind me of my F3. Beutiful! :thumbup:

As you guys are finding they are being tight lipped about this release.  I've tried but after several breaches of information being released in the past few years they are just holding the cards close.  What little I've told this is an impressive sled.

1 hour ago, Malibudude said:

As you guys are finding they are being tight lipped about this release.  I've tried but after several breaches of information being released in the past few years they are just holding the cards close.  What little I've told this is an impressive sled.

extremely

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Sixball said:

Bummer I saw your post and thought we would have a nice picture and Info. :(

I know.  They were doing the promo guys a favor probably by not releasing it until the season was out, but we're into Oct and I only count 6 2016s for sale on SIA.  C'mon Malibu!  Let's see it!

7 hours ago, Sixball said:

Bummer I saw your post and thought we would have a nice picture and Info. :(

Sorry if I got your hopes up...just so darn cued up. Want to see it already. 

Edited by Dacon62