Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

thanks ahopkinsTXi.  does it have more in floor storage than my lxi.  I have the large locker in the hallway to the bow, and a smaller one in front of the pylon.  Actually use the trunk the most, but could get away with the new smaller trunks in the new one.  Any idea if there are changes or tweaks with the 2018?

10 hours ago, tru-jack said:

interested in upgrading a 2007 for new boat, but looks like a lot less storage.  does the Malibu open version have any storage on the gunwales between the ski racks?  it looks like it might but hard to tell in photos. thanks

Our "05" and your "07" have the same amount of storage area.  The "17" has a lot less.  You lose both the trunk and gunnel storage.  The storage up front is about the same, the floor locker is longer.

Our club boat is not the Malibu Open version,  20170713_182335.thumb.jpg.822cc7485fa6895a8b410c3b3694dcb0.jpg

Open version

images.jpg.ff6d3de770985f4473e356ee7c6b5b4c.jpg

Though the Open just came with all the goodies. 

Edited by onamission

I hope the "18" fit and finish is inproved.   

SeaDeck coming off the end of the swim platform and the hull bracket baca me lose.  Fix tbe gas caps and rear storage covers so the rope doesn't get caught.  Engine cover needs to be removed to check the oil,  will not open enough, cylinder mounted in the wrong spot and the rear hinge pins fall out.  

Rear storage locker is nothing but a small bin to hold gloves, soap and other small items. 

Edited by onamission

thanks.  does look like the Malibu open version adds a bit to the side storage, but it also looks like it may be simply bolted on to the existing gunwale, therefore only being a couple of inches at best?  My 07 lxi is loaded and really nice inside in addition to skiing really well.  Just getting the new boat thoughts...and there are some decent promo deals showing up.  I have seen some with the snap in carpet, which seems like a nicer option than the seadek.

ahopkins22LSV

I don't think it's bolt on storage in the open edition. I haven't been in one for a few months though. 

I've driven and skied of one the first 17's out of the factory and one made about mid summer. The one mid summer was much better for fit and finish. I think the first few that rolled out of the factory had some bugs since it was a completely new boat. The mid summer boat also seemed to ski better. I can't really quantify that though. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, onamission said:

@ahopkinsTXiWas the mid summer build the black and gray boat that Lyons had for a while?

No, that is the early build boat I am speaking of. I believe it was one of the first production boats made. I bet your clubs was too since you had it pretty early.

I am not taking into consideration the TXi I skied during polar bear last winter because that was literally the second one made and wasn't a production boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Chad Scott replied to what is new with the rudder on BOS..."Changed the trim tab shape and size. No grinding needed on 2018". 

Edited by Dacon62
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Dacon62 said:

So I am guessing some 2018 models are out there...any changes/improvements from 2017?

The Malibu website calls the TXi a 2018 model, but all the "new" listed features were on the 2017.   From what I can tell, the only thing you can add on the "configurator" is a tower and speakers.

Edited by powbmps
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Lots of folks reporting power issues with these boats.  Dogs getting up to speed on short setups.  Not sure what's going on as the powerplant is supposedly the same from the '15 and '16 boats, which by all accounts I've heard were fantastic.

i can't be certain of the year but the boat that tommy's shared with local ski tournaments this season was really sad.

could not be used at multiple, reasonable sites because it would not reach the 36mph prior to the gates.

wot and still the saddest pull up you have ever experienced.

note: when told of the situation tommy's response was to "set zo to the A" setting and to prop the dog-house open a bit for ventilation.  needless to say it didn't cure the ills.

sad, was hoping the local dealership change in ownership was going to be a positive.

boat needs to swing a different prop or get some serious troubleshooting.

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, tvano said:

i can't be certain of the year but the boat that tommy's shared with local ski tournaments this season was really sad.

could not be used at multiple, reasonable sites because it would not reach the 36mph prior to the gates.

wot and still the saddest pull up you have ever experienced.

note: when told of the situation tommy's response was to "set zo to the A" setting and to prop the dog-house open a bit for ventilation.  needless to say it didn't cure the ills.

sad, was hoping the local dealership change in ownership was going to be a positive.

boat needs to swing a different prop or get some serious troubleshooting.

How is it getting up to speed the dealership issue? Sounds like this is a model wide problem and they tried to find a solution for you? Regardless of it not working doesn't mean it is their fault?

I did notice that the txi I skied this year seemed to get up to speed slow. I don't get why either @UWSkier... Can't imagine the added surface area made that much of a difference because even my 13 txi with the 5.7 350 monsoon was a stump puller.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

How is it getting up to speed the dealership issue? Sounds like this is a model wide problem and they tried to find a solution for you? Regardless of it not working doesn't mean it is their fault?

I did notice that the txi I skied this year seemed to get up to speed slow. I don't get why either @UWSkier... Can't imagine the added surface area made that much of a difference because even my 13 txi with the 5.7 350 monsoon was a stump puller.

when advised that it was MUCH too slow to 36mph they put zero effort into diagnosing issues with their flagship boat.

it needs to swing a different prop or it has some other related issue.

only mentioned tommy's in that i thought it fit into other tmc discussions regarding the difficulties the local malibu shop displays.

• their 'fix' relating to zo settings displays a complete lack of knowledge wrt the speed control system.
  • their other possible 'fix' (for a potential heat issue) would indicate a design issue that didn't flesh out on the pond and could have been easily verified (ruled) out w a bit of effort.

that lack of effort is the point i was attempting to make in the original post.

is it fantastic that they provide promo boats?  so much so that i can only say "wow".

i do question what they expect as a result of their kindness if the promo boat is sick and they don't care enough about it to look into the issue.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, tvano said:

when advised that it was MUCH too slow to 36mph they put zero effort into diagnosing issues with their flagship boat.

it needs to swing a different prop or it has some other related issue.

only mentioned tommy's in that i thought it fit into other tmc discussions regarding the difficulties the local malibu shop displays.

• their 'fix' relating to zo settings displays a complete lack of knowledge wrt the speed control system.
  • their other possible 'fix' (for a potential heat issue) would indicate a design issue that didn't flesh out on the pond and could have been easily verified (ruled) out w a bit of effort.

that lack of effort is the point i was attempting to make in the original post.

is it fantastic that they provide promo boats?  so much so that i can only say "wow".

i do question what they expect as a result of their kindness if the promo boat is sick and they don't care enough about it to look into the issue.

Aren’t they only allowed to run the approved prop? Or props for sanctioned tournaments? Either way this sounds like a malibu problem not a dealer setup problem. Dealers aren’t there to root cause design issues. If the boat isn’t due to a design issue which this sounds like it that is on malibu. 

And what do you mean what do they want out of it? They aren’t asking for anything in return? Typically it’s good get the Boats out there even though it costs the dealer time and money to run promo events. Obviously this year didn’t go as well for them as the Boats seem to have a design issue. 

I don't really see it as a dealer issue either.  Dealers are busy and promos are money losers or at best break-even propositions for them.  And @ahopkinsVTX is correct in that there are usually only 1 or 2 props that go through AWSA certification for a given hull/powertrain combo.

• Like 1

As far as changes I am aware of - more hull surface area due to wider beam.  I also recall the engine on the previous gen TXI was moved forward to improve its performance, maybe that carryover to a wider hull affected the new version.  Those changes could affect the way the boat gets on plane.  Correct on prop certification, so what prop(s) get AWSA certification are used in tournaments.  The prop issue might have been masked a bit if the boat was certified with the more powerful engine option, then subsequently boats end up at tournaments with the least powerful one, particularly on a hot day and / or a higher altitude tournament.  Elevated temperature, humidity and altitude all reduce engine power on any non boosted engine.

From some feedback I have seen, the TXI power output or acceleration performance seems to deteriorate as the under hood temperature goes up.  This implies that the cool air supply setup is not as effective as it needs to be, an issue the latest MC Prostar had to correct.  A couple of comments note that the traditional below windshield ambient air intake openings may not be providing cool air to the engine bay.  It takes quite a bit of air to feed the engine as it runs at 3600+ RPM, somewhere around 300 cubic feet per minute.

Hopefully Malibu will address the concern and correct the issues, it would be a shame if the boat that pulled the current female slalom record does not continue to be available in the tournament world.  The demise of the Carbon Pro dropped the available options and that model does not seem to be returning anytime soon.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, Woodski said:

As far as changes I am aware of - more hull surface area due to wider beam.  I also recall the engine on the previous gen TXI was moved forward to improve its performance, maybe that carryover to a wider hull affected the new version.  Those changes could affect the way the boat gets on plane.  Correct on prop certification, so what prop(s) get AWSA certification are used in tournaments.  The prop issue might have been masked a bit if the boat was certified with the more powerful engine option, then subsequently boats end up at tournaments with the least powerful one, particularly on a hot day and / or a higher altitude tournament.  Elevated temperature, humidity and altitude all reduce engine power on any non boosted engine.

From some feedback I have seen, the TXI power output or acceleration performance seems to deteriorate as the under hood temperature goes up.  This implies that the cool air supply setup is not as effective as it needs to be, an issue the latest MC Prostar had to correct.  A couple of comments note that the traditional below windshield ambient air intake openings may not be providing cool air to the engine bay.  It takes quite a bit of air to feed the engine as it runs at 3600+ RPM, somewhere around 300 cubic feet per minute.

Hopefully Malibu will address the concern and correct the issues, it would be a shame if the boat that pulled the current female slalom record does not continue to be available in the tournament world.  The demise of the Carbon Pro dropped the available options and that model does not seem to be returning anytime soon.

So dealers should be cutting boats up and adding K&N cold air kits that will order from summit racing and heavily modifying to make work on the boat right? :crazy: