Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

@lxirod:  Congrats on a new ski tug purchase, I am sure you will have many fun hours behind your new machine.  Would it be correct to assume same powertrain option (5.3, 5.7 6.0, 6.2) although not from the same marinizer?

On 3/5/2017 at 10:06 AM, Woodski said:

Would it be correct to assume same powertrain option (5.3, 5.7 6.0, 6.2) although not from the same marinizer?

My understanding is that 2017 engine options for TXI are both PEG 6.0l, the 409 and suped up 450.  I do not believe the TXI is offered with a 5.3, 5.7, or 6.2.  But I would certainly stand corrected in this if there is contrary info out there.    

Edited by jjackkrash
ahopkins22LSV
36 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

My understanding is that 2017 engine options for TXI are both PEG 6.0l, the 409 and suped up 450.  I do not believe the TXI is offered with a 5.3, 5.7, or 6.2.  But I would certainly stand corrected in this if there is contrary info out there.    

That is my understanding as well.

WAwinegrapes
On 3/7/2017 at 7:47 PM, jjackkrash said:

I wonder if/when Malibu is going to jump on the direct gas injection bandwagon.  

AS soon as Indmar does!

or replace the Indmar with a PCM!

Edited by WAwinegrapes
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

To be fair to them 2017 is the first model year it's been offered in the SN200 and an option on the PS. IIRC. 

11 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

9 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Or the new Malibu engine line up...

9 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I suspect that's right.  So 2019 model year I suppose?  

Correct. My sources tell me there will be at least 3, possibly 4 engine options. I don't think DI will be on all of them though.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

To be fair to them 2017 is the first model year it's been offered in the SN200 and an option on the PS. IIRC. 

2016 for SN / 2017 for MC.   That said, the 6.0L is a very solid engine to have as a base engine on the TXI.  

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Correct. My sourced tell me there will be at least 3, possibly 4 engine options. I don't think DI will be on all of them though.

I am guessing GDI on a 5.3 and 6.2 only, as that's what GM offers.  

3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

One of the Ballers one ballofspray took delivery and posted pics.  Its a sharp looking boat.  

Best looking one I have seen! The black hides the step in the hull.  I am going down to the Novi boat show to see one with my eyes.

I went to the Novi boat show yesterday I was not impressed with the new Response. Had an open bow all charcoal or black on the floor. Still does nothing for me as far as looks. Just don't like the front at all. Guess I am old fashion.   MC did not  have a DD at the show. Salesman asked if he could run me up to the shop to look at one and he would buy me a dinner on the way back. CC had A  200 on the floor and it was sold. It has direct injunction on all its power plants. The Centurion dealer did not know what a Carbon pro was. The wake board boats were well covered. Every brand I could think of was covered.  The Response was in the back and did not have a price on it. It did look good like space in the boat

On 3/18/2017 at 4:48 PM, Sixball said:

I went to the Novi boat show yesterday I was not impressed with the new Response. Had an open bow all charcoal or black on the floor. Still does nothing for me as far as looks. Just don't like the front at all. Guess I am old fashion.   MC did not  have a DD at the show. Salesman asked if he could run me up to the shop to look at one and he would buy me a dinner on the way back. CC had A  200 on the floor and it was sold. It has direct injunction on all its power plants. The Centurion dealer did not know what a Carbon pro was. The wake board boats were well covered. Every brand I could think of was covered.  The Response was in the back and did not have a price on it. It did look good like space in the boat

Was at the Knoxville boat show a couple of weeks ago.  No DD's from any of them, and 3 of them (Malibu, Mastercraft, and Skier's Choice) are all manufactured within 45 minutes of downtown.  Nautique didn't have one, either.  There were some Supreme boats there, but they were pretty much completely blocked in and inaccessible.  Of course I don't think that SC or Supreme make DD's anymore, any way.  The Nautique guys were insisting their GS boats, which weigh almost 5,000 pounds, ski almost as well as a DD, making a DD really unnecessary (and my 6500 pound truck handles like a Miata, too, I guess).

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, 67King said:

Was at the Knoxville boat show a couple of weeks ago.  No DD's from any of them, and 3 of them (Malibu, Mastercraft, and Skier's Choice) are all manufactured within 45 minutes of downtown.  Nautique didn't have one, either.  There were some Supreme boats there, but they were pretty much completely blocked in and inaccessible.  Of course I don't think that SC or Supreme make DD's anymore, any way.  The Nautique guys were insisting their GS boats, which weigh almost 5,000 pounds, ski almost as well as a DD, making a DD really unnecessary (and my 6500 pound truck handles like a Miata, too, I guess).

The truth is on the water for that one, my friend.

• Like 1

I never bought A tug based on looks but it sure helps if the tug looks good. I have skied some V drives not enough to say none ski well. I will say I have never skied a V drive that skis nearly as well as the good ski tug. Some ski as well as some not top of line DD ski tugs.  Speed, weight, line length can make or brake a wake in many boats but the top tugs all ski very good at nearly all ski speeds and line lengths. And weighting can help most of them. One thing I was surprised to see was looking at the Bu and CC I would have thought the bu to weigh less but was some what surprised to see the CC 200 is lighter some 250lbs. If I were buying a new tug tomorrow the question in my mind would be will the CC have a new boat soon the 200 has been on the water some time now. And I have not skied the new MC so that would need to have a test session. For me a ski tug is just that I don't need a boat for a day on the lake. In the long run in my mind if V drive could ski nearly as well as a DD well DD would die as most people like the interior layout of V drives much more then a DD.    

54 minutes ago, Sixball said:

One thing I was surprised to see was looking at the Bu and CC I would have thought the bu to weigh less but was some what surprised to see the CC 200 is lighter some 250lbs.

In the long run in my mind if V drive could ski nearly as well as a DD well DD would die as most people like the interior layout of V drives much more then a DD.    

I am pretty sure the weight difference is the engine; The CC engine is all aluminum with the new GDI engines and a lot lighter than last year's 5.7 or 6.0l. 

One thing a V-drive is never going to have is a better center of gravity.  I suspect the wakes on a V-drive can get pretty close, but you are always going to feel the weight in the a$$-end of a V-drive when you are driving it.

ahopkins22LSV
31 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I am pretty sure the weight difference is the engine; The CC engine is all aluminum with the new GDI engines and a lot lighter than last year's 5.7 or 6.0l. 

One thing a V-drive is never going to have is a better center of gravity.  I suspect the wakes on a V-drive can get pretty close, but you are always going to feel the weight in the a$$-end of a V-drive when you are driving it.

Would be my guess too. There are other small differences like the TXi has a 40 gallon fuel tank and the SN200 has a 27.

I was told by a friend I know through skiing around here, who helps with the Nautique dealer with their boat shows (yes, that may be a surprise to a few of you out there) that the 200 is being re-designed. The Carbon Pro is too so there may be 2 new direct drives hitting the market next year. He also told me a tid bit of knowledge that my above comment from this morning was based on.

30 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Would be my guess too. There are other small differences like the TXi has a 40 gallon fuel tank and the SN200 has a 27.

I was told by a friend I know through skiing around here, who helps with the Nautique dealer with their boat shows (yes, that may be a surprise to a few of you out there) that the 200 is being re-designed. The Carbon Pro is too so there may be 2 new direct drives hitting the market next year. He also told me a tid bit of knowledge that my above comment from this morning was based on.

I have heard the same scuttlebutt on the redesign.

• Like 1

I have seen a lot about the Carbon Pro being brought up to date but nothing of consequence.  I had not heard anything on the 200 but that would be interesting. 

On 3/21/2017 at 11:25 AM, jjackkrash said:

I'm going off of memory, but an iron block Ford Modular engine (4.6L) block only weighed about 40 pounds more than an iron one.  The larger pump and injectors of a DI will give some, but not much, of that back.  Nevertheless, the engine likely is only a small portion of the difference.  I personally think they are all heavy.  Weren't they like 2250 pounds in the early 90's (with all iron engines - blocks AND heads).

1 hour ago, 67King said:

I'm going off of memory, but an iron block Ford Modular engine (4.6L) block only weighed about 40 pounds more than an iron one.  The larger pump and injectors of a DI will give some, but not much, of that back.  Nevertheless, the engine likely is only a small portion of the difference.  I personally think they are all heavy.  Weren't they like 2250 pounds in the early 90's (with all iron engines - blocks AND heads).

I have been casually looking around for some actual numbers to compare engine weight, but haven't seen any yet.  I am curious now what the weight difference is between all aluminum and cast iron.