Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

20 hours ago, UWSkier said:

It's gotten a lot of hype.  62k views on Ballofspray topic about it.

Apparently hype is confirmed... The guys at the MKE Boat Show said there were a lot of people who were at the dealership before they unwrapped the first delivered boat.  They seemed to feel it is going to sell like hotcakes. It is a gorgeous boat in person.  Sat in a new 21VLX, feels pretty spacious for its size. 

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver Boat show....not a ski boat to be seen. Not even any skis.

Seattle Boat show...2 ski boats. Both Nautiques. One open the other closed bow. 

Wileys, Active Watersports and Adrenaline Watersports there with ski gear. Wiley's hooked me up with a few items. 

Disappointed was hoping to see the new Response at least in Seattle. 

9 minutes ago, Dacon62 said:

Vancouver Boat show....not a ski boat to be seen. 

I've gone to the Vancouver one for the last 4 years and haven't seen a single ski boat. Even the local dealers don't have any in stock. 

45 minutes ago, Dacon62 said:

Vancouver Boat show....not a ski boat to be seen. Not even any skis.

Seattle Boat show...2 ski boats. Both Nautiques. One open the other closed bow. 

Wileys, Active Watersports and Adrenaline Watersports there with ski gear. Wiley's hooked me up with a few items. 

Disappointed was hoping to see the new Response at least in Seattle. 

I was very interested in the 2017 TXI.  The local PNW Bu dealer indicated they could order one for me, but there would be none to see or wet test before hand because they just don't order and floor DDs, ever.  That was a tough pill for me to swallow.  

Made it to the Seattle show Wed & I was also disappointed to not see the TXI. Especially disappointed with the dealer attitude " we don't stock them, but you can order one if you want one". So how do I know if you don't have one for me to try? I understand the wake boats are the big sellers and so that's what you have to push at the shows, but there was room there for one ski boat and you might even sell a few if they were available.  Really liked the two Nautiques (open & closed bows) and would buy the closed bow with the 5.3l tomorrow if I was in the market. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

Made it to the Seattle show Wed & I was also disappointed to not see the TXI. Especially disappointed with the dealer attitude " we don't stock them, but you can order one if you want one". So how do I know if you don't have one for me to try? I understand the wake boats are the big sellers and so that's what you have to push at the shows, but there was room there for one ski boat and you might even sell a few if they were available.  Really liked the two Nautiques (open & closed bows) and would buy the closed bow with the 5.3l tomorrow if I was in the market. 

Who was the dealer representing Malibu?  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
ahopkins22LSV

Fly to Detroit. There will be an open edition on display. My dealer told me they had a hard time getting one in time. I would assume the promo guys are all over this thing and build slots are full. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Fly to Detroit. There will be an open edition on display. My dealer told me they had a hard time getting one in time. I would assume the promo guys are all over this thing and build slots are full. 

Do you know if it will be at the Novi show?

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Do you know it this is someone's boat in the area, personal or club?

I know a couple of clubs were getting new boats.

For the Seattle gang and home of Radar (and Radar Lake), HO, Obrien, Connelly, sure seems like a major marketing misstep not to have a tourney ski boat (TXI) on display IMO.  That and a 19 page thread on the new TXI on this site, numerous comments on BOS you would think the dealers would be clamoring to make sure one is on display. 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Sixball said:

Do you know if it will be at the Novi show?

I would think it will be. I'll try to confirm for you though. 

1 hour ago, onamission said:

Do you know it this is someone's boat in the area, personal or club?

I know a couple of clubs were getting new boats.

Don't know for sure. I'm guessing a club boat but that's just a guess. 

57 minutes ago, Woodski said:

For the Seattle gang and home of Radar (and Radar Lake), HO, Obrien, Connelly, sure seems like a major marketing misstep not to have a tourney ski boat (TXI) on display IMO.  That and a 19 page thread on the new TXI on this site, numerous comments on BOS you would think the dealers would be clamoring to make sure one is on display. 

I agree 100%.  RADAR had two reps at Wiley's there to discuss the slalom skis and binding systems.  There is a real market for DD's here.  PN had two DDs on display.  I was on the fence between two boats and I can say that supporting a dealer that supports skiing and DDs was a substantial and maybe deciding factor in my decision.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I would think it will be. I'll try to confirm for you though. 

Don't know for sure. I'm guessing a club boat but that's just a guess. 

I know we have one order.

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

I bet there isn't a new DD ski boat in western Canada. 

I don't know about Western Canada, but there's at least one in Western WA that I know of.  :)  

48 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Tell us more?  Open or closed bow? Onamission family or club? Colors? I bet someone is anxious !

Club boat, not sure of the details, all I care about is how well it skis and drives. Personally I can believe how ugly the 17's are.

35 minutes ago, onamission said:

Club boat, not sure of the details, all I care about is how well it skis and drives. Personally I can believe how ugly the 17's are.

I want to see one. In pictures I don't care for the looks. But sometimes first impressions are much different. I do like the room inside. Don't know about no trunk. Hay I owned a car that when it was introduced I thought was just ugly, it grew on me. Boy did it grow on me!  

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

I want to see one. In pictures I don't care for the looks. But sometimes first impressions are much different. I do like the room inside. Don't know about no trunk. Hay I owned a car that when it was introduced I thought was just ugly, it grew on me. Boy did it grow on me!  

I took a quick look at the one at the Polar Bear, inside was fine.  Hull looks like a Lego boat, very boxy no soft smooth lines, like this Supra.

Pinto, Vega, Gremlin, Pacer?

Bikini Boat.jpg

5 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I don't know about Western Canada, but there's at least one in Western WA that I know of.  :)  

6 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I bet there isn't a new DD ski boat in western Canada. 

Well, there are a buttload in Blaine County, (and Custer county, counting the ones that live at Redfish) Idaho.  I would guess there are a fair number over by Nampa where Nationals were held this year too.  

Sorry to all those out there that disagree with my opinion of the 17' TXi, but I must say, after seeing it in person I can confirm that it is not a beautifully designed boat in my eyes and regardless of how well it tows, i'd prefer previous years designs.  Saw the 17' Open Edition open bow at the NYC show and I love the raw skier features of the boat(ski racks, Seadek, simplistic interior, spacious), but I stand by my previous statement that there's no way I'd spend $60000+ for a boat that looks basic(Standard) and 75000+ for a boat that looks kinda decent(Open).  I'm not an elitist skier on a private lake, but a guy who adamantly loves the sport of water skiing and enjoys waking up at 5:30 in the morning to tow my boat 30mins to the launch and put 3 sets in to start a day.  I understand the need for a raw skiers ski boat, but maybe I see things a little different only because I could probably never afford a new ski boat these days and will have to wait for a couple year used gem to become available.  I absolutely love the fact that the wakes are said to be almost non-existent, and that Malibu wants a tow boat for setting records, don't get me wrong.  Maybe its just me, but I just get aggravated at the dynamic of boat buyers and the thousands of rich people out there that are driving the watersport's market to the point that the OEMs design 3, 4, 5, 6 different kinds of wake boats and 1 design of DD boat.  I respect Malibu, Nautique, and Mastercraft for continuing to produce 3-event boats and I'm definitely not here to bash that......I'm here to throw out my opinion that $75000 is a lot of money for anything and it's surely a lot of money to be dropping for something that doesn't in my eyes look as nice as years previous.  I'm sure there are people that will disagree(we're all entitled to opinions), but a boat that looks like the 17' TXi doesn't hold a candle to the looks of a 05' RLXi.  And the price difference new to new is a little staggering.

With that all said, I will as others have suggested, wait till I can drive/ski one and make a full determination.  But based on first hand visual review of this 17' TXi, I can say that I wish they made LX/LXR still, because it's worked very well for mine and all my ski buddies skill levels, its cheaper and still 100% capable of 3-event towing.  Someone is going to have to prove the $70000 17' TXi is better for the average skier than a $50000 16' LXR......

Please try not to hate on the opinions, I personally respect everyones on here and we're all part of a great community of lucky people who get to do this waterskiing s*** anytime we feel like turning the key to start the boat.  I know I'm excited to get skiing asap and I hope to see you out there!

Steve

• Like 3