Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:58 PM, bamabonners said:

Does Malibu offer anything besides 1:1 ratio trans on DD boats?

All intel I have read is NO. Not a bad thing...I have not been in a Nautique for a while and don't know if this is still the case but the older 1:1.23 tranny sure was a noisy, whiny beast. 

Only thing different is the 6.2 Raptor is available in Australia...but still with the 1:1 ratio.

While here it is either the 6 liter 409 hp or high output 6 liter 450 hp.

All engines are AWSA approved with either the Acme 515 or 525 prop.

@bamabonners:  I don't think so and @Dacon62 has intel that supports.  IMO the TXi does not need a gear reduction trans, has plenty of power and torque to accomplish needed tasks and since a more drag efficient hull compared to MC / CC the need for gear reduction trans is not there.  The nice thing about a 1:1 ratio trans, no parasitic losses by going through a gear reduction drive along with no gear noise or additional weight.

• 2 weeks later...

@SkierAtHeart:  without really knowing or any info from Malibu, my guess is twofold:  1. to create a hard core / slalom & 3 event specific boat able to compete or surpass the other 3 AWSA approved boats (CC, MC, CP) -and- I would also think Malibu performed or gathered some market research indicating this would be a good path to retain or improve current market share in this segment.  It is interesting that they veered away slightly from the more family friendly attributes Malibu captured in the recent boats.

Many of these boats end up on either small public or private ski specific lakes and many of the people that purchase them for public lake usage now seem to add a pontoon boat to the fleet for casual or party use.  I would think that trend might have entered in to the decision on TXi configuration.  According to some feedback, there is as much if not more storage capacity in the new vessel v. previous version.

20 hours ago, SkierAtHeart said:

I love my Malibu but why did they just make a Prostar?  The windshield, the ski racks, and the back walk thru.   

Why not take all the good stuff from your competitors. The windshield change you could see coming because they had already used it on the Axis line long before MC used it. Let's them mount the tower very forward to not interfere with the rope path at short line. 

As far as the folding gunnel ski racks I would say Malibu improved the versatility by included side storage as well as ski storage. 

And the step over just makes sense for a slalom boat. Even though I'm not a big fan as I liked the sun pad for afternoon chilling. Wish they would have made the rear portion modular so you could choose either the step over or the sun pad/storage locker configuration. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, SkierAtHeart said:

I love my Malibu but why did they just make a Prostar?  The windshield, the ski racks, and the back walk thru.   

Those are basically the three best features of the Prostar, especially the awesome racks.  The downside to the Prostar is the loud engine, underpowered with standard engine, and bone-jarring ride in any chop.  Hopefully they only swiped the good attributes. :)   

• 2 weeks later...

@Dacon62:  Thanks for the attached link.  Nice to see some actual data presented, note how much additional fuel is used for slalom speeds v most economical cruising speed, and will be interesting to compare consumption to the competition particularly as most have to spin the engine faster.  The one area I would like to see some attention is the weight, for flat/soft wakes less is better and with the use of all aluminum engines one would hope the dry weight could be reduced.  Mid '90's ski boats were 2300-2800 lbs with iron small blocks.  Granted, all of the offerings have grown in size from 90" or less beams to 95" and OAL is roughly a foot longer so that takes more material and the wider beam does tend to help the wake so not all detrimental to wake performance.  The other additions tend to be creature comforts that are now the norm rather than the exception or option and some Gov't regulation items.  Certainly Mr. Asher will enjoy his new Bu.

7 hours ago, Woodski said:

Nice to see some actual data presented, note how much additional fuel is used for slalom speeds v most economical cruising speed, and will be interesting to compare consumption to the competition particularly as most have to spin the engine faster. 

I'd really like to see data for the other tug-boat brands as well to compare.  I checked and there was no similar chart for the 200 in the WSM reviews.

On ball-of-spray one member posted video of ZO RPMs during a 34 mph pass (3719 to 3910 rpm using ZO slalom mode) on the 200 with the new DI engine.  It would be nice to compare a GPH burn rate for each boat at whatever RPMs these boats are running 34 MPH under load to see what actual fuel use is for a real-world 34 mph pass.  

• Like 3

Sorry Malibu, but this new TXi shouldn't be the only DD offering from the brand.  The new design is a complete knock off of the newer Prostar and I really didn't like any of the changes from their previous offering to the new one.  The last TXi was a good looking boat.....not quite as nice as the 2003-05 RLXi, but still a great looking design and if I'm spending $60000+, sorry but its not just about a perfectly flat wake and powerful motor.  Granted those are 2 things that I'd love to have, I'd way rather have a boat that can have a competition level wake that also accommodates my family and other boating activities.  I'm sure I'm not in the minds of Malibu marketing and R&D teams, but there is definitely a large following of Malibu owners that want a DD ski boat that can accommodate the family and friends that often come along for the festivities(take the back seat out when its time to really ski).  The Nautique 200 OB is about the only offering out there that makes sense for the minds similar to mine and as much as Malibu would like to push their VTX, I far rather prefer the mobility/performance/trailer-ability of my RLX OB or something similar.  The LXR would have been my choice and I'm still confused as to why Malibu decided to drop that model. When its time to shop for a new DD ski boat(no time soon), I will definitely be looking at the used market.

Maybe someday a brand will make a boat that looks like an 05' RLXi or Prostar, but its doubtful.....

Sorry guys, but i just don't want this modern progressive design crap as the only options out there.  Loved Malibu for the fact that they kept the RLX around for so long because people loved it, but i'm starting to think that the richie rich wake board kids are in the ski boat design room!

Steve

2 hours ago, stemur1 said:

I'm sure I'm not in the minds of Malibu marketing and R&D teams, but there is definitely a large following of Malibu owners that want a DD ski boat that can accommodate the family and friends that often come along for the festivities(take the back seat out when its time to really ski).  

I far rather prefer the mobility/performance/trailer-ability of my RLX OB or something similar.  The LXR would have been my choice and I'm still confused as to why Malibu decided to drop that model. When its time to shop for a new DD ski boat(no time soon), I will definitely be looking at the used market.

I don't see how these two comments reconcile.  The first criticism suggests you (or at least the market) wants a bigger, roomier boat, that can accommodate families.  The second suggests you want a smaller, more ski-purist oriented boat.  As to the first comment, the new TXI is roomier (about 4" more beam) than the RLX OB and the space appears to me at least to be more ususable, especially with the killer racks.  I actually love the layout from the pics and videos I have seen.  

As to the second comment, part of me agrees with you, but it appears Malibu did recognize your first criticism when it built the TXI, at the expense of a smaller, more purist boat.  You can't have a boat that is both bigger and smaller at the same time. 

As far as why Malibu dropped the LX, I suspect the only reason they dropped it is they didn't sell enough of them or they were otherwise not profitable to sell.  That is generally why manufacturers discontinue product lines.  The reason probably relates to your first comment--the market for a direct drive ski boat is already small, and they needed to sell some TXIs to skiers with families who might not spend all their time in the course.  

11 hours ago, stemur1 said:

Sorry Malibu, but this new TXi shouldn't be the only DD offering from the brand.  The new design is a complete knock off of the newer Prostar and I really didn't like any of the changes from their previous offering to the new one.  The last TXi was a good looking boat.....not quite as nice as the 2003-05 RLXi, but still a great looking design and if I'm spending $60000+, sorry but its not just about a perfectly flat wake and powerful motor.  Granted those are 2 things that I'd love to have, I'd way rather have a boat that can have a competition level wake that also accommodates my family and other boating activities.  I'm sure I'm not in the minds of Malibu marketing and R&D teams, but there is definitely a large following of Malibu owners that want a DD ski boat that can accommodate the family and friends that often come along for the festivities(take the back seat out when its time to really ski).  The Nautique 200 OB is about the only offering out there that makes sense for the minds similar to mine and as much as Malibu would like to push their VTX, I far rather prefer the mobility/performance/trailer-ability of my RLX OB or something similar.  The LXR would have been my choice and I'm still confused as to why Malibu decided to drop that model. When its time to shop for a new DD ski boat(no time soon), I will definitely be looking at the used market.

Maybe someday a brand will make a boat that looks like an 05' RLXi or Prostar, but its doubtful.....

Sorry guys, but i just don't want this modern progressive design crap as the only options out there.  Loved Malibu for the fact that they kept the RLX around for so long because people loved it, but i'm starting to think that the richie rich wake board kids are in the ski boat design room!

Steve

I'm very confused.  How is the 200 OB more "crew" friendly than the new txi?  It's almost as if stemur that you're not aware they make the open bow version as well?  The 200 feels way smaller with those buttress ski lockers.  

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

The WSM article lists the TXI dry weight at 3100 lbs.  The Malibu site lists it at 2900.  I wonder why the discrepancy.  

?... Copied directly from the Malibu site

TXI_Specs.jpg

16 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I don't see how these two comments reconcile.  The first criticism suggests you (or at least the market) wants a bigger, roomier boat, that can accommodate families.  The second suggests you want a smaller, more ski-purist oriented boat.  As to the first comment, the new TXI is roomier (about 4" more beam) than the RLX OB and the space appears to me at least to be more ususable, especially with the killer racks.  I actually love the layout from the pics and videos I have seen.  

As to the second comment, part of me agrees with you, but it appears Malibu did recognize your first criticism when it built the TXI, at the expense of a smaller, more purist boat.  You can't have a boat that is both bigger and smaller at the same time. 

As far as why Malibu dropped the LX, I suspect the only reason they dropped it is they didn't sell enough of them or they were otherwise not profitable to sell.  That is generally why manufacturers discontinue product lines.  The reason probably relates to your first comment--the market for a direct drive ski boat is already small, and they needed to sell some TXIs to skiers with families who might not spend all their time in the course.  

And to add to your statement.... There are very few manufactures that even still have 3 event boats... At the boat show, the only 3 event boat that was there was a Malibu.... The numbers sold on these boats are ridiculously low and not intended for their profit margin but to be viable to have an AWSA boat for competition...  so,, these 3 event (direct drive boats) are not for recreational family fun but for all out best tow boat for what they are intended to be used for (which is why it has the biggest motor for footing and getting up to slalom course speed quickly and producing a flat wake... Not designed for the family... designed to be a AWSA tow boat.

Guess I should have read @ahopkinsTXi comment before I posted... His is on point!

Edited by kerpluxal
  • Like 2

My source at Malibu told me that you used to be lucky to see 1-2 Responses on the line at any given time. Now there are 4-6 in production at all times. Since all boats are presold to dealers and/or customers it looks to me like they are being accepted in the market pretty well.

Saw one at the boat show today. Open bow with the fancier dash. Initial impressions, decent looking when you keep the same color gel front/back rather than having that awkward line in the middle. Seadek or whatever the flooring is looks cheap to my wife and I, would rather have snap out carpet. Ski racks are simple and really great. Storage is fine for a ski boat.

It was the only ski boat at the show. Biggest surprise of the show to me was how flimsy the nautique gs20 walk over is. I walked my whole 180 lbs across it and my wife says - is that all bending? The center walk and step under the middle rear seat flex like crazy. Can't imagine what it would feel like to your standard 200lb plus American guy.