Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

Been quiet here for a while. Any new experiences with this boat to share?

Edited by Dacon62
ahopkins22LSV

I skied two sets behind it about two weeks ago. These were my first sets with a new binding setup, but the boat felt great. Was only skiing 34mph -22 and the bump is very soft. Boat tracks on rails too. And the base engine has tons of power. Felt like I was skiing behind my friends '11 RLXi with the LS3 in it. Not a bad thing, just very strong.

• 1 month later...

Over on BOS a poster noted that a 17 TXI self started on the boat lift (and out of the water) & that was followed up with a note that dealers are recommending that the boat be left in gear when not in use.  So, if you have one and actually perhaps any model that carries the same powertrain setup, you may want to call your dealer to confirm.  No comments on more detail (powertrain specifics) so assuming more info should follow, other than it has a push button start.  Just thought I would pass along so people can take appropriate action if needed.

13 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Over on BOS a poster noted that a 17 TXI self started on the boat lift (and out of the water) & that was followed up with a note that dealers are recommending that the boat be left in gear when not in use.  So, if you have one and actually perhaps any model that carries the same powertrain setup, you may want to call your dealer to confirm.  No comments on more detail (powertrain specifics) so assuming more info should follow, other than it has a push button start.  Just thought I would pass along so people can take appropriate action if needed.

thats not cool.....

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, Woodski said:

I saw that too. The new response uses the same start/stop button as every 2015+ wakesetter. I can't imagine it is that since this place would melt down if that were the case. Seems to me it's something else. 

6 hours ago, Woodski said:

Funny that the advice is to leave in gear rather than just turning off the battery switch.

Is it like a phone screen where if a drop of water gets on it, it freaks out and thinks someone is pressing it?  Haven't ever used one of these fancy push button start thingies.  I prefer a key.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, UWSkier said:

Is it like a phone screen where if a drop of water gets on it, it freaks out and thinks someone is pressing it?  Haven't ever used one of these fancy push button start thingies.  I prefer a key.

No, the 2015+ Wakesetters and 17+ MO TXi is an actual button. Much like the main power button on my TXi.

My screen seems to work just fine with wet hands though. I have never had the whole thing covered in water though. 

Just now, onamission said:

I have about 45 set skiing and driving the TXI.  No issues with the wake at any speed or line length.  The boat has a number of issues the Malibu need to address.  It took a lot a experimenting with the rudder and weight placement right  so the boat wasn't so squirrely  getting up to speed, especially below 34.  It could use some sound deadening between the hull and inner panel , one of the loudest I've been in.  We did add some SeaDeck of the side and back which help a little.  The rear storage compartments door are always catching rope.    

20170713_182328_zps9cwa82lo.jpg

Trolled by Photobucket.

• Like 2

I have about 45 set skiing and driving the TXI.  No issues with the wake at any speed or line length.  The boat has a number of issues the Malibu need to address.  It took a lot a experimenting with the rudder and weight placement right  so the boat wasn't so squirrely  getting up to speed, especially below 34.  It could use some sound deadening between the hull and inner panel , one of the loudest I've been in.  We did add some SeaDeck of the side and back which help a little.  The rear storage compartments door are always catching rope.    

20170713_182328_resized_1.jpg

Edited by onamission
1 hour ago, Joeprunc said:

Love the pink strada!

Took a while to get to used to the pink  color,  but at the time all the high end skis with a softer flex were colored for women.   

• 4 weeks later...

Heard that rope was getting caught on rear of boat. 

Local ski club took the rear storage covers off because of it. 

Revamp in the works to solve the issue?

ahopkins22LSV

Granted I don't have nearly as many sets with a new TXi as the clubs doubt now but we didn't have an issue with the rope catching on the rear storage lids in either of the two I've used/skied. The gas cap, yes. Would really be nice if Malibu would have recessed it below the top place of the deck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Please note the comments below are from a Malibu Guy...Got to ski and ride in the new TXi last night at the local ski club. Boat skied great at 15 off 32&34. Very roomy interior and lots of power for the short set up.

Rope catches on gas cap and rear storage lids had been removed...guessing because they were rope catchers too?! A bit noisey and buzzy coming up to speed. Probably would be quieter with carpet instead of the decadence flooring. 

Personal preference and it may grow on me over time but not crazy about the looks. 

Am disappointed to say this but overall would say there is no reason to upgrade from my 2001 Response other than to have the latest and greatest and be in a Zero Off boat with a bit more room. 

1 minute ago, Dacon62 said:

Please note the comments below are from a Malibu Guy...Got to ski and ride in the new TXi last night at the local ski club. Boat skied great at 15 off 32&34. Very roomy interior and lots of power for the short set up.

Rope catches on gas cap and rear storage lids had been removed...guessing because they were rope catchers too?! A bit noisey and buzzy coming up to speed. Probably would be quieter with carpet instead of the decadence flooring. 

Personal preference and it may grow on me over time but not crazy about the looks. 

Am disappointed to say this but overall would say there is no reason to upgrade from my 2001 Response other than to have the latest and greatest and be in a Zero Off boat with a bit more room. 

Rope catching when skier down?  It is always something - on the 04 LXI it catches on the step pad on the gunnel.

@Dacon62:  It is a bit disappointing that such a high priority for upgrading your ski tug is due to speed control option, for the tourney skier the desire to have Zero Off.  I have noticed a decent % people consider that a high priority item, the ability to match the speed control pull they will see in tournament environment, and justifiably so.  Good for the manufacturers and ZO, not so good for the skiers wallet.  Unfortunate the design specs did not produce a closer match in skier pull between the systems -or- the upgrades from PP able to replicate the ZO pull.  Not limited to Malibu, and probably most annoying to the CC 196 owners whom consider it the perfect tourney ski boat.

Edited by Woodski
2 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Dacon62:  It is a bit disappointing that such a high priority for upgrading your ski tug is due to speed control option, for the tourney skier the desire to have Zero Off.  I have noticed a decent % people consider that a high priority item, the ability to match the speed control pull they will see in tournament environment, and justifiably so.  Good for the manufacturers and ZO, not so good for the skiers wallet.  Not limited to Malibu, and probably most annoying to the CC 196 owners whom consider it the perfect tourney ski boat.

For folks who consider their nearly 20 year old ski boat to be the bestest ever there is always the option to swap to a modern ZO compatible engine.  Not cheap but way cheaper than a new boat.  The problem I see is that even with a modern engine and ZO is a 196 pull/wake/etc really going to be comparable to the bigger, heavier, wider boats of today?

@oldjeep:  As for wake, no.  As for speed control pull, closer and probably 'similar' in variation to comparing ZO in different brands.  There is a significant difference in pull between the two systems, personally I don't notice it as much as the heavier guys do.  It is clearly not as forgiving as PP.  And there is the mental aspect of it all...

Just now, Woodski said:

@oldjeep:  As for wake, no.  As for speed control pull, closer and probably 'similar' in variation to comparing ZO in different brands.  There is a significant difference in pull between the two systems, personally I don't notice it as much as the heavier guys do.  It is clearly not as forgiving as PP.  And there is the mental aspect of it all...

I haven't skied a ton behind a ZO boat and the one that I have is a 2012 Prostar promo, which is hard to use as a comparison since the wake is so bad. (I prefer my VTX by a wide margin)  Can't say I noticed anything different with the pull but I am around 180lbs

interested in upgrading a 2007 for new boat, but looks like a lot less storage.  does the Malibu open version have any storage on the gunwales between the ski racks?  it looks like it might but hard to tell in photos. thanks

ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, tru-jack said:

interested in upgrading a 2007 for new boat, but looks like a lot less storage.  does the Malibu open version have any storage on the gunwales between the ski racks?  it looks like it might but hard to tell in photos. thanks

It does. Not as much as your 07 but it is there. There is a ton of space behind the observer seat. Bow is pretty good too. I didn't measure the cubic feet or anything but my gut says is that it isn't that much less than the current TXi or your LXi. Especially if you utilize the infloor storage of the new TXi.