Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

Malibu Open Version will come in both Open and Closed bow version. It will also be available in a solid, TXi, or Aggressive color scheme so the variety of combinations should allow everyone to find a flavor they love.

Just now, Malibu Mike D1 said:

Malibu Open Version will come in both Open and Closed bow version. It will also be available in a solid, TXi, or Aggressive color scheme so the variety of combinations should allow everyone to find a flavor they love.

So now that the cat is out of the bag... Where are more pictures!?

I'm sorry, but I gotta say it.  At least the closed bow......FUGLY.  What is that, a pickle spork bow?  A traditional bow with pickle fork elements, and doesn't function well as either (traditional - looks, pickle - seating)?  Ug.  Concept of the runway is cool, but it would look a lot better if it were body color, ratehr than contrasting.  Or maybe just cover the whole bow (our 64 Chis Craft's 18' boat had vinyl covering the whole bow).  Looks like a skunk stripe like that.  I get the function of the windshield, but it doesn't look nearly as good as the conventional ones with glass on the sides.  Probably ridiculous to think about a drop down side glass, I suppose.  I do like the walk through transom, though.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I think I would like the touch screen on the left with the phone holder on the right. I use my phone a lot more through the day then the screen. 

I like my gauges right over the steering wheel and my phone in the glove compartment.

Is there any ski storage at all in the boat?

Edited by oldjeep

Funky bulge between the bimini attachments.  Hard to get a good sense for this boat from the pics.  Hopefully the bulges and angles look muscular or modern.  They certainly didn't go with "timeless" or "elegant".

I don't take my phone on the boat when we ski, it kinda short circuits the time on the water.  Ok when we have a group on the 'Bu or are just out surfing. 

I think the dash is oddly set up, but then again I thought about my usage.  When I'm pulling someone, I rarely use the dash, other than quick glances.  Here's how a pull behind me goes:

1. boat angled to the right, looking over right shoulder at rider as he gets his gear ready.  Steps 2 thru 4 are also looking over right shoulder.

2. watch the handle, as he gets in position

3. verbal cues to pick up slack (nod, "slack", etc.).  Quick glances to the front (looking for traffic) and back over shoulder.

4. verbal cue to go ("go boat")

5. Accelerate, now looking in rear view to see rider get up, facing forward

6. Get to speed that rider prefers, glancing at tach to note desired pull RPM.  That will either be a speed I already know, or some "faster" or "slower" cues from spotter

7. Continue pull to maximize straight line and minimize waves, glancing at tach

8. When rider drops or falls, eyes on lake and making sure rider is not in danger as I power down and circle back.

9. Get to rider, circle round at idle, position boat so I will be looking over my shoulder again.

10. check guages (oil & temp)

11. Start back at step 1.

If I had speed control (perfect pass) I'd look down even less frequently.  So I think I'd enjoy the visibility over the placement.

The more I look at this boat the more I think it's a beauty.

Sort of off topic, but when we were pulling docks and lifts a few weeks ago we came upon a Nautique that had steps that were built in as part of the fiberglass in the gunnels, so you didn't step from gunnel to floor, but instead when from dock to built-in-step to floor.  I thought that was really cool.

On 10/22/2016 at 10:36 AM, Fman said:

Cool looking redesign, but can't they make these boats a little more user friendly for passengers?  how many people can you really take out with you?  Would be cool see a little bit more length for some more space and seating availability and still produce a pro level slalom wake.

Fman, I'd bet that more than 50% of SN200s, prostars and txis have been going to private slalom lakes.  No need for more passenger room.  In fact, to still a great many, an open bow slalom boat is in itself blasphemy.

12 hours ago, 67King said:

I'm sorry, but I gotta say it.  At least the closed bow......FUGLY.  What is that, a pickle spork bow?  A traditional bow with pickle fork elements, and doesn't function well as either (traditional - looks, pickle - seating)?  Ug.  Concept of the runway is cool, but it would look a lot better if it were body color, ratehr than contrasting.  Or maybe just cover the whole bow (our 64 Chis Craft's 18' boat had vinyl covering the whole bow).  Looks like a skunk stripe like that.  I get the function of the windshield, but it doesn't look nearly as good as the conventional ones with glass on the sides.  Probably ridiculous to think about a drop down side glass, I suppose.  I do like the walk through transom, though.

Not necessarily, they used to have them on the corvette boats (vdrives).  However, I really really like the fact it doesn't wrap around.  Best feature of the new prostars.  and as a former axis owner, the sides provide little to no benefit from a true "windshield" function.  at slalom speeds...no spray issues.  I like.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

I like my gauges right over the steering wheel and my phone in the glove compartment.

Is there any ski storage at all in the boat?

Yeah I am curious on where the temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges will be. Although, I don't look at them constantly, just a glance after the boat warms up to make sure temp is where it needs to be then a glance here or there to make sure it is staying there. So as long as they are on the screen that is cool with me.

And I stream music from my phone so having it available to the right would be really nice.

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yeah I am curious on where the temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges will be. Although, I don't look at them constantly, just a glance after the boat warms up to make sure temp is where it needs to be then a glance here or there to make sure it is staying there. So as long as they are on the screen that is cool with me.

And I stream music from my phone so having it available to the right would be really nice.

I'm assuming on that screen on the left is where the digital gauges would be since that one on the right just looks like a ZO control.  Also likely the stereo controls on that left screen, will be interesting to see how they lay out the screens since I would want the ability to see oil pressure and engine temp at all times.  I'd really like to see one of these up close since from the pictures it looks like a Mastercraft with Malibu stickers on it.

So glad they made a boat with no trunk. For someone who doesn't trailer the boat, I need more floorspace, not storage space.

Now if they could make a folding sunpad (think v-drive pad size) you could pull from the rear, my girl would love it.

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Fman, I'd bet that more than 50% of SN200s, prostars and txis have been going to private slalom lakes.  No need for more passenger room.  In fact, to still a great many, an open bow slalom boat is in itself blasphemy.

Good point, can't remember the last time I have seen a pure slalom boat on the water, would be near impossible in our area to find good enough water to do it these days.  Most of those slalom die hard guys are probably on the water at 6:30am and gone early, plus how long can you really slalom ski for? 10-15 cuts?  I have never towed anyone who could go longer than that without being totally whipped.

54 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'm assuming on that screen on the left is where the digital gauges would be since that one on the right just looks like a ZO control.  Also likely the stereo controls on that left screen, will be interesting to see how they lay out the screens since I would want the ability to see oil pressure and engine temp at all times.  I'd really like to see one of these up close since from the pictures it looks like a Mastercraft with Malibu stickers on it.

jeep, do you seriously watch the oil and temp as much as it appears you say you do?  

• Like 2