Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 LSV 23 - Wetsounds Stereo

sandaddiction

1 hour ago, teamerickson said:

I didn't really notice any latency with the volume. Maybe a firmware update?

The way to check for this is turn it up or down really fast... not just small increments. Go big!!

What's happeneing is that the sport knob is not an analog knob; it's digital. That's why it doesn't spin smoothly; there are notches. Each notch is like pushing a "volume up" button.  Spin it fast and your just pushing that "volume up" button 10 times fast.

On my 2015 the system couldn't process those 10 inputs fast enough to masquerade as an analog knob. You had to wait a second or two for it to catch up to the input you just have it. Super annoying. 

5 minutes ago, sandaddiction said:

Any idea on what Wetsounds speakers are actually in the boat?

Nope... nobody has a clue about speakers, amps, enclosures, or anything else. 

But it's Wetsounds, so what could go wrong??

<<<<I looked in at the amp and with the proprietary hook ups adding an aftermarket equilizer would be challenging. I wouldn't want to start cutting wires in a harness.>>>>

Okay, so you guys want to install your own system, amps, speakers, etc, but you want Malibu to pre-wire it so its plug 'n play to do so.  If the thought of cutting a connecter plug off and splicing a wire to your amp scares you, maybe you're not the guy to be installing your own stereo system?    Maybe that will come across as harsh, but c'mon people, this isn't a DIY boat kit.  Tell me you open up your new automobile and plug in amps and speakers to a pre-wired output, courtesy of your favorite automotive company.

Peter

I shot a quick video of our first VTX when it came in, as it was leaving shortly.  You'll get an idea of the stereo controls in it.

Say what???  "Your posts have been merged".   ??  I don't want my posts merged.  That's why I posted two separate ones.  Well, if this one merges than THREE!

• Like 2

Since this post will merge again with above..... 

RE : STEREO COMPONENTS

Nobody has a clue?  Sorry, what?

Medallion black box,  new stereo control interface in the 7" screen, new zone control in the 7" screen (interior front/rear, tower, sub), with separate-able master volumes (everything, tower, cockpit), new transom remote, SG signaling though tower speakers (no transom horn), better water rating (IP66), better pre-amp outputs, faster data communication, Syn Series Class D DSP amps from Wetsounds with custom boat programs, Positive locking connectors (this is a big deal), 6.5" 100W RMS/200W Peak Interior speakers, 8" 125W RMS/250W Peak Interior speakers, 12" 500W RMS/1000W Peak Subwoofer.

Peter

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, SmoothWaterMan said:

Okay, so you guys want to install your own system, amps, speakers, etc, but you want Malibu to pre-wire it so its plug 'n play to do so.  If the thought of cutting a connecter plug off and splicing a wire to your amp scares you, maybe you're not the guy to be installing your own stereo system? 

Who asked for Malibu wiring?  I know I didn't. I didn't use one ounce of Malibu wiring in my last install. I even ran all my own speaker wire when Malibu he already installed their own.  

Not sure if that post was even aimed at me... If it was then I think I haven't done a good job explaining myself. 

Here it is in a nutshell... I want the factory system to be awesome!  I really do. I'm just skeptical is all.  And my skepticism is based on years of disappointment, having been burned by these sorts of false promises more than once. 

I will shut up now until I've tried the new system and seen the specs. 

Just now, IXFE said:

Who asked for Malibu wiring?  I know I didn't. I didn't use one ounce of Malibu wiring in my last install. I even ran all my own speaker wire when Malibu he already installed their own.  

No, it wasn't you.  It was Teamerikson that said this :  

****I looked in at the amp and with the proprietary hook ups adding an aftermarket equilizer would be challenging. I wouldn't want to start cutting wires in a harness. There's no RCAs. I'm sure it could be figured out but it won't be as easy. Heck just adding a sub and towers will be more difficult.****

6 minutes ago, SmoothWaterMan said:

Medallion black box,  new stereo control interface in the 7" screen, new zone control in the 7" screen (interior front/rear, tower, sub), with separate-able master volumes (everything, tower, cockpit), new transom remote, SG signaling though tower speakers (no transom horn), better water rating (IP66), better pre-amp outputs, faster data communication, Syn Series Class D DSP amps from Wetsounds with custom boat programs, Positive locking connectors (this is a big deal), 6.5" 100W RMS/200W Peak Interior speakers, 8" 125W RMS/250W Peak Interior speakers, 12" 500W RMS/1000W Peak Subwoofer.

Peter

Sounds very similar to the SX series and XS-12

guessing new HTX power... Should be huge upgrade....

10 minutes ago, SmoothWaterMan said:

Peter

Any specs on the sealed enclosure?

@IXFE, just to make myself clear, you may be in that 5% group where a factory stereo isn't going to work for you.  It can be a challenge looking at boats to provide absolutely superior sound at a reasonable cost.  For the 95%, the new system is great, and I believe people will like it.  But it's my opinion, and based on my customers.  As you said, go listen and use it, and then decide on the best course of action for your taste and use.

@ConnollyCrew, if you are referring to HTX amps, then no, these are SYN series DSP amps.  Not currently available on the retail side from Wetsounds, and good power.

Just now, teamerickson said:

Any specs on the sealed enclosure?

Spec's like cu. size to match the sub?  No, That's drilling too deep.

There is one or two models that use a free-air sub, like in the M235, where the space behind it actually works as well or better than an enclosure.  (Trust me, dealers have tried and failed to improve it)

2 hours ago, thtrog said:

The 2017 I looked at had this remote on a 22 MXZ, not rigged yet so I didn't get to play with the system. https://www.amazon.com/Milennia-MILREM70-REM70-Wired-Remote/dp/B01FVOAFUO/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1472428137&sr=8-23&keywords=milennia+marine+stereo

You still flipping boats for next year, or keeping the G?

19 hours ago, SmoothWaterMan said:

Peter

Saying that it has "control interface in the 7" screen" or a "new transom remote" is not exactly a "spec" nor is it a change from the RF setup. I was referring specifically to amp and speaker specs, model numbers, etc.  The speaker specs you posted are the first I've seen, and yet they are still devoid of any WS part number (yeah, I get that these are Malibu skus but they are almost certainly the same gutts as an existing WS speaker).  For example, are they using the XS-65i or the XS-650...?  Based on your promise that it's a 100W RMS speaker sounds like you're saying it's the XS-650.  Forgive me for questioning this, but I don't recall seeing this anywhere else in this thread.  And we still don't know what the amp specs are, which is the most important variable and the primary item I was searching for.  

Again, forgive me for questioning all this.  I want to believe.  But it's a "trust but verify" kinda thing, ya know?

19 hours ago, SmoothWaterMan said:

@IXFE, just to make myself clear, you may be in that 5% group where a factory stereo isn't going to work for you.  It can be a challenge looking at boats to provide absolutely superior sound at a reasonable cost.  For the 95%, the new system is great, and I believe people will like it.  But it's my opinion, and based on my customers.  As you said, go listen and use it, and then decide on the best course of action for your taste and use.

Thanks for the diagnosis, Smooth... but I don't think you have a clue what works for me.  You're making me out to be some sort of audio snob.  I've owned at least 25 cars in my adult life; guess how many I've installed any aftermarket audio in?  Go ahead and guess.  The answer might surprise you.  

Okay, I'll just tell you... ZERO!  That's how bad Malibu systems have been over the years... that even a guy like me would resort to learning a new skill (audio install) to have a halfway decent on-water experience.  

I'm not an audiophile... I just don't like my music to sound like poop, which is precisely what my experience has been in the past with both these companies involved.  

29 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Saying that it has "control interface in the 7" screen" or a "new transom remote" is not exactly a "spec" nor is it a change from the RF setup. I was referring specifically to amp and speaker specs, model numbers, etc.  The speaker specs you posted are the first I've seen, and yet they are still devoid of any WS part number (yeah, I get that these are Malibu skus but they are almost certainly the same gutts as an existing WS speaker).  For example, are they using the XS-65i or the XS-650...?  Based on your promise that it's a 100W RMS speaker sounds like you're saying it's the XS-650.  Forgive me for questioning this, but I don't recall seeing this anywhere else in this thread.  And we still don't know what the amp specs are, which is the most important variable and the primary item I was searching for.  

Again, forgive me for questioning all this.  I want to believe.  But it's a "trust but verify" kinda thing, ya know?

I hit my friend up over there.

XS-650

XS-808

SYN-DX-DSP-6

SYN-DX-DSP-2

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Hmmm so fair to say no change from years past?

This sounds pretty :lame:

Sorry @Ronnie if I'm coming across in a poor way. Believe it or not I'm cautiously optimistic here. I'd like nothing more than to not have to do another install this year! 

I'm not questioning the quality of the WS componants. No doubt it's an upgrade from RF. And props to Bu for making this change as I'd been told RF was pretty entrenched there as a supplier. 

In my mind this really comes down to four variables... 

1) how much power those amps are pushing. Better be equal to speakers' RMS capability

2) sub enclosure better be the right size and air tight. So far this doesn't sound promising...

3) Did Malibu fix the other system quirks (i.e. Inferior BT, speed control, latency, noise, certain functions not working with certain inputs, etc)?

4) tune tune tune!  (seems like they're taking the right steps here)  

If all that checks out and the price isn't like G4 money, then I could probably get over the touch screen zone control. 

I'll be the first to come on here and say I was wrong!  I've done it before!! :dontknow:

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

This sounds pretty :lame:

Sorry @Ronnie if I'm coming across in a poor way. Believe it or not I'm cautiously optimistic here. I'd like nothing more than to not have to do another install this year! 

I'm not questioning the quality of the WS componants. No doubt it's an upgrade from RF. And props to Bu for making this change as I'd been told RF was pretty entrenched there as a supplier. 

In my mind this really comes down to four variables... 

1) how much power those amps are pushing. Better be equal to speakers' RMS capability

2) sub enclosure better be the right size and air tight. So far this doesn't sound promising...

3) Did Malibu fix the other system quirks (i.e. Inferior BT, speed control, latency, noise, certain functions not working with certain inputs, etc)?

4) tune tune tune!  (seems like they're taking the right steps here)  

If all that checks out and the price isn't like G4 money, then I could probably get over the touch screen zone control. 

I'll be the first to come on here and say I was wrong!  I've done it before!! :dontknow:

Cautiously optimistic is the direction to go IMO. It's so much better than to knock it before we even get to experience it.

Honestly, it may be the worst thing Malibu ever comes up with but lets give it a chance and see for ourselves. I'd love to not have to crawl around in that little compartment installing a system in next years model. I hope they can make it a respectable system. It certainly won't be for everyone but if it's a nice system for the right money I'm in. If it's not, I'll put in another system.

5 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

From what I heard the enclosure volume is now optimized for the sub used.

I spent some time in a couple of 17's. Stereo is a BIG improvement over previous years.

While that's a good start (I mean the enclosure should always be sized to the driver, right?), to me the bigger question is the construction of the box.  Through 2016 Malibu has used the jankiest of janky construction methods.... just HDPE and staples, with no effort to truly seal the box.  The cheapest of the cheap mdf online sub boxes are better built (albeit NOT out of waterproof materials).