Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

General Help + Anyone know about Kicker 6.5 HLCD

95echelon

On 11/13/2017 at 0:14 AM, Cazan said:

Just read this whole thread and lots of good info.  I'm in a similar situation as you were in.  I'm curious how everything is working out? I'm really considering the Kickers right now.

You have an Ilusion X tower correct?  Did you have any issues with the Kickers HLCD fitting in the stock pods?  If I'm reading the specs right they are 6 3/4" and not 6.5".  Seems like mounting options for the IX are limited.  I only have 1 pair of stock pods so I need another set for the for the Kicker setup. Cheapest I can find them is $150 a pair new.  There has to be a ton of used ones out there.  Anyone have an extra pair? 

Also what did you decide for the dash 6.5" speakers? 

They will fit right in the pods no issues. I was worried the horn would be too long but it fit right in. Good luck to you. I’ve liked mine. I did have a driver go down and just FYI since it was purchased from amazon, Kicker would not cover since it was not a verified Kicker vendor. The customer support guy I was talking to was super nice. 

6 hours ago, sChamblee said:

They will fit right in the pods no issues. I was worried the horn would be too long but it fit right in. Good luck to you. I’ve liked mine. I did have a driver go down and just FYI since it was purchased from amazon, Kicker would not cover since it was not a verified Kicker vendor. The customer support guy I was talking to was super nice. 

How long did you have them before it went bad? I ordered mine from Walmart.com.  They are currently on clearance for $161 for the system w/ out pods. 

Edited by Cazan

I had a set on the rzr1k4 for a while. Then on the boat it was about a year. The rzr ones I had a cheap amp that was exposed and did fine after a wash. They worked still to this day. The woofer is what went bad on the boat(6.5 component). The horns/tweeter is still screaming. I beat the crap out of the ones on the rzr tho and they sounded great in the Woods. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 9:12 PM, Cazan said:

How long did you have them before it went bad? I ordered mine from Walmart.com.  They are currently on clearance for $161 for the system w/ out pods. 

Well I am about 6 months late to this but they weren't bad I had them wired incorrectly. All is good now. I would not recommend this system unless you REALLY want to barely hear them wakeboarding. The mid-bass is very lacking. I am considering just going back to 4 XS-650's on the tower or doing maybe 4 - 8 inch kicker non HLCD speakers. I think for the towers there is no replacement for displacement so buy the largest you can afford/fit. I typically turn the treble down on my 420 equalizer and the midbass and bass up. The only thing I can say is that I don't have the cans sealed, i believe I have some air leakage. I am looking to seal them up and see if there is any difference. When you add the horns you lose your two mid bass cones vs just having 4 component speakers.

On 9/2/2016 at 1:50 PM, David said:

That would be a very busy competition....determining the worst sounding 6.5" HLCDs. I believe I have heard them all. The Kicker 6.5" HLCD is the best of the worst so stick with the Kickers if those are the only two choices. But as long as you are willing to go with a used product, try increasing the size to an 8" speaker, whether HLCD or surf. This way there will be a good chance they don't end up in the classifieds or on ebay again after one season.   

I am now looking at moving to some 8" tower speaks like the kicker KM8's or some Used Wetsounds (icon or rev) if they come up. With my titan III tower I think the rev 10's would be bumping heads. My system is better than 98% of the boats on the lake already, so my best bang for the buck is probably getting my sub under the dash instead of the observers compartment.