Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

43 minutes ago, semi said:

i am trying to see how this is a great deal. If they say "no haggle" of course. I just priced out a NXT20, and a Tige RZR 21. Both came in nicely equipped for under 75k. Had pretty much what i wanted on the boat minus heaters. I was also looking into a Moomba for under 70 really nicely equipped. I think there has to be room to haggle. MSRP is just that, no one is paying it. So if this is truly "no haggle" i am struggling to see the value just from my own experience. 

I know the NXT i quoted is a 20 footer, but it was optioned for Surf and Wakeboarding with all the options. It wasn't stripped down at all. 

in addition, why do this to the Malibu name? why not just push the Axis brand? 

Not an apples to apples comparison. The NXT20 is comparable to the Axis A20 which you can find nicely equipped for well under 75k.  

You see it on almost all the forums.  NXT, Axis, and Moomba owners all like their boats but they say "I wish it had this or that" like the Xseries, Malibu or Supra.  Malibu did just that...they gave these owners a reasonable upgrade path.  I completely agree that naming it the VLX was wrong, not because it will lower the values of the current VLX22s on the market but because it is confusing as hell for someone not familiar with the brand.

I think the concept of this is great for Malibu but I think where they missed the opportunity is the size.  I currently have a 2015 A22 22' 102" beam boat so while I love everything about the new 21VLX, I am not sacrificing the size.  There are a lot of people in an A20 because of lake limits so Malibu isn't gaining these customers and while I think there are many upgraded options on this VLX for A22 and T22 users, I don't think they will sacrifice the size but ICBW.

Edited by wedge88

I think you are reading cut corners incorrectly.  The Malibu is still a step up from T22.  The "cut corners" is exposed fiberglass vs. Finished vinyl covered pannels.  No corners cut on construction,  etc.  You still get same gates, PW2, surfband, command center dash, etc.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

I think you are reading cut corners incorrectly.  The Malibu is still a step up from T22.  The "cut corners" is exposed fiberglass vs. Finished vinyl covered pannels.  No corners cut on construction,  etc.  You still get same gates, PW2, surfband, command center dash, etc.

And there is a big one... Some people like the dash, some don't. I could see people opting for the exposed fiberglass and getting the 21VLX with PW2 and command dash versus a bigger Axis... Assuming it can surf and board well.

I would also be surprised if the 80k price tag on the 21 vlx continues into next year.  I anticipate malibu will just price the boat accordingly next season.  I could be wrong but imo this is a one time promo to grab some customers considering other brands.

Having just sold a 2015 22vlx I listed the boat lower than I had anticipated by a few thousand dollars.  Some of it because of the 21 vlx, more so going against a 5 year warranty and base 410 engine on 2016 models.

I will have no issues ordering another 22 vlx, not even concerned one bit about the 22 vlx model being devalued because of the 21 vlx.  The 22 vlx is the #2 selling boat in the lineup.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Fman said:

I will have no issues ordering another 22 vlx, not even concerned one bit about the 22 vlx model being devalued because of the 21 vlx.  The 22 vlx is the #2 selling boat in the lineup.

Nooo! Get the 22 MXZ. I want to know someone locally with that boat! ;)

• Like 2

Have any TMC members bought this boat yet?  I'd love to get a real world review of the Wakeboard and Surf Wake, on water experience, etc.  What do you love and not love about the boat?  

1 hour ago, gobble said:

Does anyone know if the $79,999 number includes things like freight and prep, or do they tack on a bunch of junk charges?

That's at the dealers discretion. Honestly this was a HOT topic between the dealers and Malibu about a month ago. Malibu wanted freight and prep to be included in there $79,995 price. They even went so far as to charge a flat subsidized freight fee to all dealers no matter how far they are from the factory. But so many dealers complained that Malibu relented and now the web site says in small print: "freight and prep not included." 

The reason I say it's at dealer discretion is that some dealers are still only charging $79,995 + tax. I know that's the case with my dealer (no tax in Oregon either). 

So don't blame Malibu that the $79,995 price can't be had... the dealers did this. And in the end it's kinda stupid cuz they're just shooting themselves in the foot; remember this boat and price point is designed to lure Moomba and Supreme shoppers (i.e. mid-$70's) into the Malibu brand. Stretching $3-5k to get into a Malibu is one thing. Stretching $10k is another...

Reviews from yesterday's demo days were very good. Very solid wakeboard wake with a good surf wave. I didn't get a chance to get out in it though, but I did crawl around in one. I like it and for the price point I think it will do very well.

21 hours ago, IXFE said:

That's at the dealers discretion. Honestly this was a HOT topic between the dealers and Malibu about a month ago. Malibu wanted freight and prep to be included in there $79,995 price. They even went so far as to charge a flat subsidized freight fee to all dealers no matter how far they are from the factory. But so many dealers complained that Malibu relented and now the web site says in small print: "freight and prep not included." 

The reason I say it's at dealer discretion is that some dealers are still only charging $79,995 + tax. I know that's the case with my dealer (no tax in Oregon either). 

So don't blame Malibu that the $79,995 price can't be had... the dealers did this. And in the end it's kinda stupid cuz they're just shooting themselves in the foot; remember this boat and price point is designed to lure Moomba and Supreme shoppers (i.e. mid-$70's) into the Malibu brand. Stretching $3-5k to get into a Malibu is one thing. Stretching $10k is another...

That's interesting. I was actually going to list my 2013 VLX on craigslist to see what would happen then my local dealer came back with a price that added freight and prep so I didn't bother.

okay, earlier in this thread i was a little hesitant to buy into the one price thing from Malibu. I mentioned i priced out a couple of boats around the same price so there wasn't anything that special about the $79,999 price. 

i got my quote in the mail on the NXT20 and man, for an advertised price of "50k all day" they sure nickel and dime the hell out of you. $595 for a ski pylon. This is a ski boat, shouldn't that be included? Very deceptive advertising and ruled them out 100% at this point. I don't care if the price was 75k, it was 25k over what they try to advertise to you. If the VLX is actually that price with a bunch of goodies i can see it being successful. 50k all day is a boat without a trailer of steering wheel so it seems. 

I haven't looked at the VLX, but would love to see what is included for that price before i pass my final judgement. 

Edited by semi
Just now, semi said:

okay, earlier in this thread i was a little hesitant to buy into the one price thing from Malibu. I mentioned i priced out a couple of boats around the same price so there wasn't anything that special about the $79,999 price. 

i got my quote in the mail on the NXT20 and man, for an advertised price of "50k all day" they sure nickel and dime the hell out of you. $595 for a ski pylon. This is a ski boat, shouldn't that be included? Very deceptive advertising and ruled them out 100% at this point. I don't care if the price was 75k, it was 25k over what they try to advertise to you. If the VLX is actually that price with a bunch of goodies i can see it being successful. 50k all day is a boat without a trailer of steering wheel so it seems. 

I haven't looked at the VLX, but would love to see what is included for that price before i pass my final judgement. 

NXT is not a ski boat.  I thought that even the tracking fins were optional on an NXT

Just now, oldjeep said:

NXT is not a ski boat.  I thought that even the tracking fins were optional on an NXT

Tow boat, but a ski pylon should be included not $600. Absurd. 

13 minutes ago, semi said:

I rode (wakeboard) behind the new VLX this weekend.  Wake was on the smaller side, but really consistent (typical malibu wake).  Boat was nicer on the inside than the pictures give it credit for.  If you didn't know any better (not a member here/most of the population) the VLX would seem to be on par with the rest of the wakesetter line.

I didn't walk away with the same experience on the 2016 nxts.  They felt cheap.

1 hour ago, semi said:

You're right... the NXT is a joke.  The boat itself feels suuuuuper cheap.  And the pricing is very deceptive.

Malibu isn't being nearly as deceptive as Mastercraft was.  Even if you have to add freight and prep we're talking about adding $3k - $4k, right?  

Also, I'm pretty sure the "what's included" has been covered elsewhere in this thread.

On September 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM, SCMike said:

Have any TMC members bought this boat yet?  I'd love to get a real world review of the Wakeboard and Surf Wake, on water experience, etc.  What do you love and not love about the boat?  

There will probably be some new Malibu owners signing up soon to give real world opinions. I'm curious to hear what they have to say as well.

16 hours ago, IXFE said:

You're right... the NXT is a joke.  The boat itself feels suuuuuper cheap.  And the pricing is very deceptive.

Malibu isn't being nearly as deceptive as Mastercraft was.  Even if you have to add freight and prep we're talking about adding $3k - $4k, right?  

Also, I'm pretty sure the "what's included" has been covered elsewhere in this thread.

This is exactly what i am saying. "50k all day" isn't 50k. its really 75k for an entry level boat with most options but not all. Trailer isnt' even included. Starting to think the 79k price on the VLX once i get a list of what is included may be a better option for most people. I really hate deceptive advertising and this just takes the cake with MC. I will be looking elsewhere for my new boat. 

Just now, semi said:

This is exactly what i am saying. "50k all day" isn't 50k. its really 75k for an entry level boat with most options but not all. Trailer isnt' even included. Starting to think the 79k price on the VLX once i get a list of what is included may be a better option for most people. I really hate deceptive advertising and this just takes the cake with MC. I will be looking elsewhere for my new boat. 

$80k for the 21 VLX is a smoking deal if you also consider it comes with a Wetsounds stereo, its pretty much turn key.  The only downfall to that boat is the size, its small, and for some might push them away into a 22 VLX which is noticeably larger but also costs quite a bit more.

For me 21 is perfect. In wisconsin, we don't have a ton of lakes that support a 24' boat easily. The 21 foot market is key for many many people. Especially when it comes to tow vehicles, boat lifts etc... i see more 20 and 21's than any other side where i am from. 

1 hour ago, Fman said:

One interesting tidbit on the 21 vlx is it does not come with the 1.75:1 trans ratio, will be the 1.50:1.  Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of.  This also holds true for the VTX model.

What does that mean for surfing?