Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drone Wakeboarding Footage - Epic Day

Anderson24

I really enjoyed watching the drone footage and it also let me get a good look at angles and such, I think I've been hitting the wake to straight across, if that makes sense.

EPIC. Thanks for sharing. As much as this neck of the woods is filled with newer V-Drives, it's very rare to see anybody on a wakeboard that actually knows what to do with the wake of sacked out Wakesetter. They be all about the surfing. 

Edited by MaliWop
  • Like 2

Great footage and awesome editing.

I've been wanting to get a drone, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. What drone and camera are you using? Any fear of a water landing?

16 minutes ago, sounddude03 said:

Great footage and awesome editing.

I've been wanting to get a drone, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. What drone and camera are you using? Any fear of a water landing?

I have the phantom 3 professional. It shoots 4K which is just amazing if you have the ability to view it. Yes, there is always a fear of it going in the water. I have confidence I won't FLY it into the water, but I also know that these things can have a mind of their own. If it happens...it happens. But if I don't ever fly it over the water I will never end up with footage like above. 

If if I were buying a drone today it would be the phantom 4 for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Thump said:

That is bad a**! Love that sunset in the background.

Sunrise :)

it was nice being rewarded with that butter after a 4:30am wake up call

Just now, DarkSide said:

Outstanding video sir!  I have to admit it is fun watching guys who know how to ride!  

I think I have watched the video 73 times. It is just awesome watching them. What's funny is the entire time filming I am watching on my iPhone. So when I go to edit on a 30" computer screen I am like "holy crap this is awesome". I need to remember to look up at the scenery and riding even when I am filming to appreciate it all. 

• Like 3
Just now, Thump said:

pretty sure i'd freeze that early in the morning. sooooo sick though!! I might have to toughen up and make it happen though. that water is damn near perfect!

90 degree air, 84 degree water at sunrise here. 

That video is awesome! I also have the Phantom 3 pro, but I just bought it a few weeks ago so I am still practicing with it. I am curious though, how much of that footage was filmed manually, and how much was used with the "follow me" mode? I have done some practice flights over our lake but I am just now working up the courage to try controlling it from our boat.

48 minutes ago, 1993spartan said:

That video is awesome! I also have the Phantom 3 pro, but I just bought it a few weeks ago so I am still practicing with it. I am curious though, how much of that footage was filmed manually, and how much was used with the "follow me" mode? I have done some practice flights over our lake but I am just now working up the courage to try controlling it from our boat.

None of it was "follow me". It was all manual. The "follow me" on phantom 3 can only fly 22.5mph. When these guys wakeboard at 23mph it won't keep up. 

Now the phantom 4 can follow up to like 35mph in that mode. 

That was awesome!  Great footage, great riding, and great scenery.  

Now use that drone to drop a stick of dynamite on the idiot surfing on that glass!  

I am not much of a wakeboarder, but was a student of the sport.  It seems that the top tier guys get their second hand on the handle real quick on every trick.  I wondered if that observation might be of value.  There were a lot of one handed landings and rideaways.  I could be all wrong, but just food for thought to be taken with a grain of salt.  I still love watching guys who make it look easy.  And who put a few good crashes into their videos.    I am looking forward to more videos!  

6 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

I have the phantom 3 professional. It shoots 4K which is just amazing if you have the ability to view it. Yes, there is always a fear of it going in the water. I have confidence I won't FLY it into the water, but I also know that these things can have a mind of their own. If it happens...it happens. But if I don't ever fly it over the water I will never end up with footage like above. 

If if I were buying a drone today it would be the phantom 4 for sure. 

I just got the Phantom 3 Pro.  It's amazing.  I wouldn't spend the extra money to get a 4.  They didn't update the camera.  Has a few more min fly time, yes it can fly up to 44mph and follow you without having the remote.  Once you get used to flying, you won't want to use the follow mode as it restricts your angles.  The 3 can fly 35 mph and is plenty fast enough to keep up at wakeboard speeds.  IMO, get the 3 or wait until the 5 as the camera wasn't upgraded, and that's huge.  Not worth it as you can get a used 3 Pro for $700 with accessories and extra batteries or $900 new on Amazon with an extra battery, or pay $1400 for a 4 with one battery...

BTW, @Anderson24 amazing video! I got scared for you on a few shots.  The riders looked really close :no:  Enjoyed watching it

16 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

I will! 

I especially liked the short pauses when the rider is doing the inverts. Maybe you can do some frame by frame chops?

What drone/camera did you use?

1 hour ago, Chatty21VLX said:

I especially liked the short pauses when the rider is doing the inverts. Maybe you can do some frame by frame chops?

What drone/camera did you use?

Earlier he stated Phantom 3 Pro.  It has an integrated camera on it that shoots 4k at 30fps.

9 hours ago, Suggy said:

BTW, @Anderson24 amazing video! I got scared for you on a few shots.  The riders looked really close :no:  Enjoyed watching it

Yeaaaaaa...a couple of those shots were real close. The one time that rider flew across the shot I was like "holy crap" because I lost him for a second in my frame then he just APPEARED. 

Pretty sure some water drops flew on the lense at one point too. 

:rockon: