Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weight Distributing Hitch Recommendations

hethj7

I'm not trying to go down the WDH debate in this thread, but am looking for recommendations on what WDH hitch would be recommended with surge brakes?  I don't think sway control is really needed with a tandem axle trailer assuming it is properly loaded, so am not worried about that.   Tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150, and at times, a 2015 Expedition EL.   

I know very few people use them, but is there anyone out there that does and can you point me to what you're using?  

FWIW, I towed my LSV with a 2013 F-150 without the WDH and had 0 issues. I could set the cruise on 75 on interstate, and confidently "one hand" the steering wheel. I didn't have much squat on the back either. Some people I have heard put air bags on to help, but I never felt the need. 

Yea, I know the F-150 will do it and plenty of people are, but if I can pick one up for a couple hundred bucks, I'd like to give it a try and see how much difference it makes.  There is little doubt in my mind after doing some research that a WDH is recommended/required at the weights many of us are pulling.  And it isn't the normal towing situation I'm concerned about - it is that 1 time you need to stop quickly or need better trailer control in a potential emergency situation. 

• Like 1
Just now, hethj7 said:

Yea, I know the F-150 will do it and plenty of people are, but if I can pick one up for a couple hundred bucks, I'd like to give it a try and see how much difference it makes.  There is little doubt in my mind after doing some research that a WDH is recommended/required at the weights many of us are pulling.  And it isn't the normal towing situation I'm concerned about - it is that 1 time you need to stop quickly or need better trailer control in a potential emergency situation. 

A decent WDH costs more like $600

If it were me I'd be looking at this one, mostly because I'm not a big fan of the chain type setups

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Equal-i-zer/EQ37100ET.html

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

If it were me I'd be looking at this one, mostly because I'm not a big fan of the chain type setups

This is the hitch i have for my camper. I really like it, easy to hook up and unhook. 

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

That is similar to the ones we have at work for our cargo trailers. It's night and day difference towing with/without that hooked up.

We only tow a few times a year and I'm not too concerned at this point about sway control, so I was thinking something more like the attached?  Any pros/cons of this setup?  It would seem to be that once you have it setup once for your tow vehicle and trailer, that additional hookups really wouldn't involve too much more - am I missing something? 

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17052.html

Cool, makes sense. I have a long trip coming up in July, but normally don't trailer much. Can I rent a good one anywhere? Sounds like a try before I buy item to me. Especially since my VLX was towed 2400 miles without one and did perfectly.

Only use I have ever had for one was on a 4 horse trailer.  Sway control was more important than the weight distribution in that instance though.

I tried using one. But it sucked to hook up & disconnect. And even though it was supposed to be compatible, I still had issues backing up. I ended up selling the POS on CL & upgrading the truck instead.

1 minute ago, Soon2BV said:

i have this one - Equal-i-zer

This is the one i have for my travel trailer. Has bars and not chains. The dealer set it up as part of the sale. 

Driving down the road it feels like the trailer is locked to the truck. 

How big is your travel trailer, that thing is tiny  4K load and 400lb tongue? 

I don't want to start the GMC / F150 debate, but ...

My Sierra has an integrated brake controller and trailer sway control as part of the truck braking system. Somehow, it can sense trailer sway and it will apply the truck brakes as required (left or right, i believe) to reduce / eliminate the sway.  I know the boat pulls great and the trailer is never a problem.  Both are probably 6000 pounds.  

I don't use the WDH when i pull the camper to / from storage to the campground (10 miles). 

Just now, oldjeep said:

How big is your travel trailer, that thing is tiny  4K load and 400lb tongue? 

i should have said "I have this brand".  the hitch i have is rated for 10K I think but my trailer is only about 6000 loaded (4500 dry weight).

They expect me to be back and buy something bigger so they sold me a big hitch :) -

When I was researching these, the topic of the truck's having sway control comes up.   As it was explained on etrailers (I think), the truck works to counteract away AFTER it already starts by using the brakes.   A WDH with sway control works to prevent sway BEFORE is starts happening.   And btw, the F-150 has the integrated brake controller and sway control too.  

I may just be giving this fight up - over on the Nautigue forums there are posts stating Ram-Lin trailers stated not to use a WDH on trailers with a swing away tongue.    I called Malibu and asked for their guidance today and they essentially had none - never been asked the question and this particular gentleman said he's never seen any aftermarket add-ons to their trailers.   I inquired about the weight of the trailer, and he didn't know that - he could only tell me the published dry weight of the boat.  

It still amazes me the lack of info on these toys (like HP rating and the weight of the trailer).   And the lack of continuity between the hitch makers, tow vehicle producers, and trailer manufacturers to make it even remotely easy for an end user to "properly equip" our towing setups is baffling.