Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Head unit issue?

Hey guys.  Didn't put this in the stereo section because I think it's an OS issue however, have any of you had an issue with your RF head unit - Viper OS,'15 LSV? Regardless of battery switch location, at random the stereo power just cycles on/off/on/off and the only way to get it to stop is shut the boat down and the battery switch off. Can't come close to expressing how annoying this is. Any ideas? If not, can one share how to flash the system - perhaps it needs an upgrade or a reset?

Edited by NCSurfing
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, NCSurfing said:

Hey guys.  Didn't put this in the stereo section because I think it's an OS issue however, have any of you had an issue with your RF head unit - Viper OS,'15 LSV? Regardless of battery switch location, at random the stereo power just cycles on/off/on/off and the only way to get it to stop is shut the boat down and the battery switch off. Can't come close to expressing how annoying this is. Any ideas? If not, can one share how to flash the system - perhaps it needs an upgrade of a reset?

I have not experienced this  on mah boat.

I think my '14 has the same RF head unit and I have not experienced the issue you are describing. 

Is this happening at idle or only when underway?  If only underway, is it only in rough water or at higher speeds?  If so, you might want to double check your connectors both under the helm and on the stereo side. I had an issue with a heater hose that was zip tied to a wire harness and every time I went over rough water the bouncing caused cable strain and the connector would momentarily lose its connection in a few pins. My issue was related to a communications cable bundle, but I could see something similar effecting the stereo. 

Well I have something similar maybe the same reason.   Ground issue coming from the connector bundle directly out of the unit.  Still under warranty for me so I am waiting to take to the dealer for service.   Stops working but resets by itself or I have to cycle the stereo to get it back.  Tracked it down to a faulty ground wire in the unit connector or ground wire termination inside the black box.  Try looking at the connector right where it comes right out of the unit.  I can make my quit working by wiggling the wiring.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Check the 7" display (computer) wiring and make sure everything is tight
Check the voltage coming from the batteries, the 7" display/computer doesn't like low voltage
Unplug the rear seat MUX (if you have it) to make sure it's not water or another passenger (or kid) pressing buttons
Unplug the swim platform transom remote (if you have it)
Turn off bluetooth in the 7" display/computer
Unplug the sport knob (if you have it)

Test each configuration, or unplug everything and then see if the problem is still there. If you don't have a problem after everything is unplugged, then plug things back in or re-enable them one at a time until the symptom comes back. My '15 23 LSV hasn't had any dash issues, but I cleaned up all the wiring as soon as it was delivered and I watched the Viper II and 7" display/computer be installed at the factory and was there for the factory test sequence (nothing special). 

Each of the items in the above list is something that a TMC user has posted about causing problems with their 23 LSV or that I've run in to (kids playing with rear MUX).

Been there done that.  First was the lower LH corner of the screen - self adjusting the auto volume.  Then it was the top LH corner cycling the power.  Long story short, your 7" screen is defective.  It's thinks its being pressed when is isn't.  I'm on my third one.   This is only one of the many Mali boo-boos I've experienced with this POS.

I'm having this exact issue. Except it doesn't matter if I power down, and turn the batteries off. It just keeps cycling on and off. 

The strange this is that I don't have problems with any other part of the screen interface.

i also have a 2015 23' LSV

MOE

I am also one of the "lucky" ones to have this issue.  Your MTC screen is most likely defective.  Take a video of it happening and take it to your dealer.  I am awaiting a new MTC screen. 

7 hours ago, ID AX said:

I am also one of the "lucky" ones to have this issue.  Your MTC screen is most likely defective.  Take a video of it happening and take it to your dealer.  I am awaiting a new MTC screen. 

This is the conclusion I have come to as well. It's happened several more times and I've a pattern that comes in the form of 2 additional issues. 1- the stereo button flickers. 2- when I shut if down and let it 'cool' for about 30 min, when I turn the main power back on, the stereo on/off switch won't work and then it will mysteriously power on, after which it seems to perform fine (until it takes a dump again). I just took a video of this happening and plan to email the dealer tomorrow. Irritating.  Did you get any pushback or did they simply offer to send you a new one after seeing the video?  This well tell me how well 'known' this is to Malibu....

@Moe - I will post them here as well so you can see if this is the issue you have as well. 

Edited by NCSurfing

I have the same problem too.  Mine is a 2015 VLX.  The stereo turns off and on all the time.  Also the auto volume raises and lowers.  I took a video and emailed it to my dealer.  Malibu thinks its the 7" screen, but won't send parts until some tests are run. Another problem I had was the transom remote connection has corrosion in it.  Last season the stereo would fade in and out like it had no antenna.  My dealer replaced the stereo black box and that didn't fix that issue.  Getting really frustrated with the whole system.

Edited by Excel516
3 hours ago, NCSurfing said:

Did you get any pushback or did they simply offer to send you a new one after seeing the video?  This well tell me how well 'known' this is to Malibu....

I don't believe Malibu is giving my dealer any push back.  They haven't necessarily gone the route I would've liked but they are handling it in a timely manner.  The biggest reason I chose Malibu is because of my dealer.  We've bought 3 boats from them and I have known one of their main guys for close to 20 years.  It doesn't help the frustration but I know that they will make it right.  

Good luck with your issues.  Hopefully they will get you back to normal soon.  

My 7" doesn't do the flashing, but I touch it in one corner and it goes to maps, or something else. The screen does not detect my touch at all. Luckily, I have the transom remote that controls the radio. I'm just glad I am still fully functional without that screen, but it is frustrating it doesn't work. I will be taking mine in at some point, but the closest dealer is 4 hours away...

'15 23 LSV for reverence

9 hours ago, ponderosasurf said:

My 7" doesn't do the flashing, but I touch it in one corner and it goes to maps, or something else. The screen does not detect my touch at all. Luckily, I have the transom remote that controls the radio. I'm just glad I am still fully functional without that screen, but it is frustrating it doesn't work. I will be taking mine in at some point, but the closest dealer is 4 hours away...

'15 23 LSV for reverence

Mine does this as well!  After it flashes and I shut it down for 30 min, when I power it back on, the stereo on/off switch does not respond to my touch. Just realized I didn't mention either that mine is a '15 LSV, which appears to be consistent as I read thru the thread. 

Edited by NCSurfing
  • Like 2

I added this video to another thread about the MTC screen.  Figured I should put it here as well.  This is just a short clip of what our MTC screen is doing.  I didn't video the 12" screen but it's also freezing up.  

Well the dealer just dropped my boat back off.  They acted like Malibu had never heard of it.  Said they did get push back on getting a new 7"screen.  I will test and report back in a few days.

So, I am having similar but different issues. (2015 VLX)  This thread has given me a good troubleshooting plan.

My saga.

Sunday we were on the boat and mid day for no reason the volume spiked to Max. and I could not turn it down or shut it off. Had to kill the battery for it to reset then it worked fine the rest of the day. 

Yesterday I had the boat at the dock and the only action on the stereo that worked was power on. Once powered on I had 0 ability to control it. no volume, mode, display changes, nothing.  In order to shut it off I had to kill the battery for a few minutes so I did not have to listen to FM static. 

I did notice there is some condensation in the transom remote so I am thinking that my be the cause and I plan to run through the list of items that Mikeo suggested. 

Ill let yall know. 

Just talked to my dealer.  Malibu authorized a new MTC screen based on the steps we've taken.  Dealer had them overnight it and will come pick up my boat to install it tomorrow. :rockon:  Fingers crossed 

On June 27, 2016 at 0:19 PM, ID AX said:

I added this video to another thread about the MTC screen.  Figured I should put it here as well.  This is just a short clip of what our MTC screen is doing.  I didn't video the 12" screen but it's also freezing up.  

This is exactly what mine does with the addition that the stereo button blinks...thanks for the validation that mine isn't isolated!

All these screen issues.  What a POS.  Let me tell you it gets even more fun when the center of the screen starts acting up and you can't enter your start code!  Moral of the story learned the hard way:  ALWAYS CARRY YOUR METAL KEY!

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:11 PM, NCSurfing said:

Hey guys.  Didn't put this in the stereo section because I think it's an OS issue however, have any of you had an issue with your RF head unit - Viper OS,'15 LSV? Regardless of battery switch location, at random the stereo power just cycles on/off/on/off and the only way to get it to stop is shut the boat down and the battery switch off. Can't come close to expressing how annoying this is. Any ideas? If not, can one share how to flash the system - perhaps it needs an upgrade or a reset?

BTW, I did re-flash my second screen to the latest firmware.  Didn't change s***.  But you probably already determined that from all the posts on the subject.

Edited by washmaster
3 hours ago, Excel516 said:

Getting the 7" screen fixed my problem of turning off and on.  My radio still fades in and out on FM.  Where is the antenna?  On the black box.

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing my '15 MXZ to the dealer tomorrow for the same issue. Hoping they will appreciate my research when I send them this thread and my video of the boat doing the same thing. I've already had 2 different ECMs put in.