Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 23 LSV radio and screen issues

Guys,

I got my boat back from the dealer yesterday, they didn't give me any paperwork yet but the service adviser mentioned they replaced the 7" MTC screen. 

I put 5 hours on it today and it worked flawlessly. 

Fingers crossed that I had a bad unit and the problem won't come back.

2 hours ago, amorin said:

Guys,

I got my boat back from the dealer yesterday, they didn't give me any paperwork yet but the service adviser mentioned they replaced the 7" MTC screen. 

I put 5 hours on it today and it worked flawlessly. 

Fingers crossed that I had a bad unit and the problem won't come back.

Hopefully that's the answer.  Dealer reflashed the software to try and see if it would make a difference.  It made it worse :cry:waiting impatiently on a new MTC screen. 

Have the same issue. Turned off blue tooth. Reset settings. Neither worked. Has anyone had success with just the software update?

Edited by OneZero81
2 hours ago, OneZero81 said:

Have the same issue. Turned off blue tooth. Reset settings. Neither worked. Has anyone had success with just the software update?

I haven't heard of anyone, having these issues, fix it with a software update.  I strongly recommend taking a video of the problems and visiting with your dealer.  Good luck 

here is a link to what my MTC screen is doing.  I didn't video the 12" touchscreen but it's also freezing up and I loose the ability to control any ballast, SG or wedge functions.

Edited by ID AX
Add more info and link
59 minutes ago, ID AX said:

I haven't heard of anyone, having these issues, fix it with a software update.  I strongly recommend taking a video of the problems and visiting with your dealer.  Good luck 

here is a link to what my MTC screen is doing.  I didn't video the 12" touchscreen but it's also freezing up and I loose the ability to control any ballast, SG or wedge functions.

Yea. Same issue. Dealer is updating software tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'm thinking I can cut the remote wire for the stereo and create a manual switch. I have a wet sounds eq installed so I can already bypass the entire stock unit for the stereo. All other functions and the 12" are fine. The unit just keeps sending on/off signals on the remote 12v line which turns on your amps and such. 

Anyone know where I can get to the remote wire?  Does it go first to the black box under the passenger helm and then out to amps from there?

Same exact issue but my 12" screen was fine.  Dealer was going to replace the 7" MTC but they said they found a loose CAT 5e cable.  Haven't tried it out yet, hope it fixes the problem; but if not it will be a new screen.

Does anyone know if the replacement MTC is the same unit as the old? If so, what will prevent it from happening again?  I guess what I am trying to understand if it's software or hardware that is the issue. 

On June 27, 2016 at 11:11 AM, endostrat said:

Same exact issue but my 12" screen was fine.  Dealer was going to replace the 7" MTC but they said they found a loose CAT 5e cable.  Haven't tried it out yet, hope it fixes the problem; but if not it will be a new screen.

I don't think it will be just a loose cat5e cable.  The cat5e cable is what feeds all the info from the brain (MTC 7" screen) to the TS monitor (12" screen)

11 hours ago, OneZero81 said:

Does anyone know if the replacement MTC is the same unit as the old? If so, what will prevent it from happening again?  I guess what I am trying to understand if it's software or hardware that is the issue. 

It should be an entirely different unit. 

Just talked to my dealer.  Malibu authorized a new MTC screen based on the steps we've taken.  Dealer had them overnight it and will come pick up my boat to install it tomorrow.   Fingers crossed 

Edited by ID AX
12 hours ago, OneZero81 said:

It depends on when your boat was built; there are/were two different versions of the 7" display/computer and the "new" version is better than the old version in quite a few ways, but it's still a computer so it can have issues. The easiest way to tell the old vs. new is to look at the back of the 7" unit and see if there is a short antenna screwed in to the back. (the antenna is ~4" tall) The antenna is the bluetooth antenna (even though it's labeled WiFi on the back) and the "old" version didn't have the external antenna. The new computer replaces the old computer and the computer between '15 and '16 is the same except for the firmware.

My boat was built in 04/2015 and has the "new" computer; I don't know when the switch from the old version to the new version took place...

Just got the latest firmware and that seems to have fixed the problem. On 30 minutes of use but I'll report back after a few more hours of use.  I'll note again that I only had issues with the 7" turning the radio on and off repeatedly. No issues with the 12". 

30 minutes ago, mikeo said:

It depends on when your boat was built; there are/were two different versions of the 7" display/computer and the "new" version is better than the old version in quite a few ways, but it's still a computer so it can have issues. The easiest way to tell the old vs. new is to look at the back of the 7" unit and see if there is a short antenna screwed in to the back. (the antenna is ~4" tall) The antenna is the bluetooth antenna (even though it's labeled WiFi on the back) and the "old" version didn't have the external antenna. The new computer replaces the old computer and the computer between '15 and '16 is the same except for the firmware.

My boat was built in 04/2015 and has the "new" computer; I don't know when the switch from the old version to the new version took place...

My guess is 02/2015, When they released the firmware update that enabled viper ii Bluetooth. 

I had a chance to run the boat for a couple hours tonight.  New MTC screen worked great.  I had none of the issues I was experiencing before.  

Hopefully everyone else gets results soon. 

The update seemed to work for about 45 minutes!  They offered to pickup the boat last night and return it this morning but I decided against that because I have company and didn't think they'd get it back to me this weekend. 

Hey guys,

Quick update on my end. I went through all the wiring once more and found a red power cable that was very loose. After putting it back into place, everything works like a charm and it saved me a trip to the dealer.

Have you looked at your wiring / connections to make sure everything is nice and tight?

Cheers!

They had to replace my 7" screen (ie the actual computer) to resolve my issue as well - although I had a number of wiring (poor connections) issues as well.  Thankfully she has been working flawlessly ever since ?

Having the same issue as well. Dealer wants to upgrade software first. Hope it helps but not looking positive. Makes it hard when dealer is 2 hours away. Anyone had any luck getting sofware without having to take boat in. Can upgrade myself. 

1 hour ago, Snowquad said:

Having the same issue as well. Dealer wants to upgrade software first. Hope it helps but not looking positive. Makes it hard when dealer is 2 hours away. Anyone had any luck getting sofware without having to take boat in. Can upgrade myself. 

Only the dealer has access to the update files.  If you can talk them into emailing it to you, it's an easy process.  Just copy the file (.bin) to thumb drive and plug it into the port under the phone holder.

I would reference this thread with the dealer.  I also had the software updated to remediate the problem and it flat-out doesn't fix the problem.  But you will get some added features with the update such as the compass will now work, new wake view on 9" screen as well as cellphone signal and battery indicators if you're connected via blue-tooth.  Best of luck.  I'm getting a new medallion 7" screen installed tomorrow.  

No one has had the problem fixed via a software update.

On 6/29/2016 at 8:24 PM, OneZero81 said:
On 7/8/2016 at 3:42 PM, OneZero81 said:
On 7/8/2016 at 3:42 PM, OneZero81 said:

Only the dealer has access to the update files.  If you can talk them into emailing it to you, it's an easy process.  Just copy the file (.bin) to thumb drive and plug it into the port under the phone holder.

I would reference this thread with the dealer.  I also had the software updated to remediate the problem and it flat-out doesn't fix the problem.  But you will get some added features with the update such as the compass will now work, new wake view on 9" screen as well as cellphone signal and battery indicators if you're connected via blue-tooth.  Best of luck.  I'm getting a new medallion 7" screen installed tomorrow.  

No one has had the problem fixed via a software update.

Dealer can't email the new software. It's huge compared to the old software.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having very similar issues with the added addition of when you blow the horn, the 12 inch screen goes blank and comes right back. The dealer has had the boat for 2 weeks trying to figure out these issues. Has anyone else had these issues; and if so, what fixed the problem? 

2015 22' VLX

RFG amp with Bluetooth 

Transom Remote

Set of Wetsounds Icon 8

• 3 years later...

Hi guys!

I know this thread is super old but we just purchased a basically brand new 2016 22vlx and are having the same issues with the stereo, it is really frustrating. I’m wondering if anyone actually found out what the problem is being this thread is from 2016? We notified the dealer about it and they had never heard of that happening - but reading up, it seems pretty common

On 7/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, Savvysav said:

Hi guys!

I know this thread is super old but we just purchased a basically brand new 2016 22vlx and are having the same issues with the stereo, it is really frustrating. I’m wondering if anyone actually found out what the problem is being this thread is from 2016? We notified the dealer about it and they had never heard of that happening - but reading up, it seems pretty common

There was a service bulletin to replace a certain range of 15 and 16 screens because of some issues. Could be that yours was never replaced. Your dealer should be able to find it and verify.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread, again. :( Our 15 VLX has had the off and on total screens freezing issue and am wondering if anyone that had the same issue is able to confirm what the permanent fix was (from the service bulletin?) It looks like there were some bad 7" screens and quite a few members have had them replaced. Mentioned the issue and the connected bulletin to our dealer, who says they are unaware of it, so they claim they've updated the software instead. It would really suck to get out next season and have the issue reappear, as we obviously can't test it now.

So, is anyone able to confirm (or deny) that the proper fix is to replace the 7" MTC?