Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

• 2 weeks later...

Well my 2011 LSV  touch screen (2 replaced under warranty)  finally bit me on July 7th. Fortunately we were at my dock.  I have not installed the remote start back up available.

1. Turned on power.

2. Entered code

3. Pressed start button

4. Strange whirring sound, almost like the starter trying to engage, both screens flash multiple times then reset but when they come back they are locked up.

5. Tried multiple power on, off resets. Battery disconnect, etc.

6. Turns out each time I was trying to start the boat it was lowering the Wedge!

So now I have a deployed wedge, I'll use all the forum tricks and suggestions to get it back up or off. Next move tow it to the ramp and load it on trailer and back to the dealer.

Good morning!

31 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Plastic box under helm with fuses. Pull one from wedge up spot and move it over to the next spot. It will run wedge til it comes up then pull fuse out and put it back.

I'll give it a shot, thanks

3 hours ago, asnowman said:

2011 is the only year without a backup engine key. There is a retrofit kit available, might want to have them install that for you too.

Yup, already asked them to be ready to install that

Guess I get to join the crowd.

My touchscreen on my 2012 247 LSV has been annoying, but now has become unusable.  

I just spoke to a dealer in Idaho, as the local dealer is closed today.  They want $2200 PLUS the $300 core charge to have Malibu ship me the screen.  Seems like a $1400 markup for a screen that they will never see, touch or install.  

Anybody have better contacts?

I called all of the next closest dealers and got the same story.  One way or another the price added up to $2200 and had a $300 core charge which was generally part of the $2200.  Even Bakes was the same.

Waited for my dealer to open after the holiday, they quoted me $1800 with no core.  I want to keep the screen so that was the best deal for me.  I went ahead.  He called the next day to inform me that he had good and bad news.  The bad news the screen was on a 2 month backorder.  The good news they had a "2014" screen in stock and could update its software to work.  Wonder where that screen was the day before?  But ok anyhow, also a little more bad news, that screen costs 200 more because it is a "2014", whatever.

More bad news, we have to install it because the software has to be updated and we "cant share that because of IP concerns from Malibu".  Whatever, ok I'll pay you $140 for 10 minutes work.  No biggie...

Got the boat home booted it up touch screen works great but thinks I have SurfGate.  . .   Oh well does it work?  well the engine starts but the light switches don't work.  Press the nightmode and the whole thing sounds like it is going to fry , both screens glitching and whining.  Hmm...

Called the dealer, they claim the flashed it properly according to the way Malibu has told them.  Apparently I don't understand it is a 2014 screen and they are different.  "Did you diagnose this or did we?"  Apparently the wrong firmware is a result of my diagnosing the broken touch screen which is now very responsive other than having the wrong firmware.    

Dealing with this mentality I try to explain what I know, and get informed "I do manage the service department here, I know how it works!"  So, then why do I have the wrong software on my screen!!!!

He sent me want he says is "the original 2012 software for the 6.5" touchscreen in your boat".  I extracted it to a thumbdrive, empty except for the  SmartTouchApp.mem file wich is dated 2012.  The file is 6,847,192 bytes.  I used the touchscreen setup menu selected update and the screen glitched for a few seconds and then rebooted.  Nothing changed. still has the same options.  I looked at the version screen and it shows something like 1440 4.

• 1 month later...

I used to follow this thread but sold my 2012 23LSV. Before I sold it I replaced my screen.

If anyone has a use for my original I still have it, you’re welcome to it. There used to be talk about refurbing them. 

• 8 months later...

Do we know if there are issues with the digitizer? Or is the only issue the fact that the two screens are separating. If there’s nothing wrong with the digitizer wouldn’t a fix be as simple as getting touchscreen sealant and glueing the screens back together?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 9:11 AM, dalt1 said:

Plastic box under helm with fuses. Pull one from wedge up spot and move it over to the next spot. It will run wedge til it comes up then pull fuse out and put it back.

You can do this for most of the functions on the screen including lights, wedge, blower, bilge, etc.  These are indicated by outputs F2-F10.  Easy as these are simple switches.

Ignition is output F1 and includes a bypass (F1B) as well.  What happens if you bypass this circuit by moving the fuse?  Does it toggle the engine start/stop function?

• 1 month later...

We have a 2012 Response and the screen started to go out while my friend was borrow the boat and they were in the middle of the lake, now it’s toast. I have a phone / pad repair company that assures me he can fix the the panel if I can get the screen. He called all of his contacts and tried over a dozen times over 2 weeks to talk to Medallion, but could never get a hold of someone. If anyone has a number that Medallion actually answers, I would appreciate the help.

Glenn

• 7 months later...

curious...why can't we replace the MTC with the switches from the iRide/Response LX?  below is from my 2012 manual.  I assume there are interface modules that would have to be replaced.

image.png.a439ea611d26901424b924dad376eaca.png

Edited by braindamage
7 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Secondly, I have the bypass ignition, but is there a way to still operate the running lights?

I don't believe there is anyway to operate the other functions of the touch screen (lights, ballast, bilge, blower)

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV
27 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Secondly, I have the bypass ignition, but is there a way to still operate the running lights?

On our TXi there was a fuse panel under the dash that you could move the fuse and it would turn on the bilge, blower, etc.

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

On our TXi there was a fuse panel under the dash that you could move the fuse and it would turn on the bilge, blower, etc.

move the fuse from where to where?  I've seen this referenced in the threads, but am not sure what fuse to remove and where to put it.

Edited by braindamage
ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, braindamage said:

move the fuse from where to where?

There is a slot right next to each fuse, its a constant power slot or something. It will be pretty obvious when you open the fuse panel up.

9 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

If that is the case it would be pretty easy to create a switch panel

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

There is a slot right next to each fuse, its a constant power slot or something. It will be pretty obvious when you open the fuse panel up.

ok cool.  So if I can bypass the MTC to actuate the devices by placing a fuse into the slot next to it, then why can't I install a manual switch in between as a backup?

Just now, oldjeep said:

If that is the case it would be pretty easy to create a switch panel

great minds think alike.  There must be a reason as I've searched lots of threads and nobody has brought this up as an option.