Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

4 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Only thing with that, is it's not a LINC problem. It's a POS Polk head unit problem. They have had the same issues for years. Unfortunately, they locked themselves into a contract with Polk until this year. I'm betting the 2018s will have fusion or the JL MM100 to finally correct that BS.

definitely not discounting the problem. It has been complete bs for years.... just not really a LINC issue. It's an ASA electronics has crappy head units issue.

It's never Nautiques fault!:biggrin:

• Like 1
On 19/05/2017 at 1:23 AM, saxton15 said:

Sorry yes, I should have specified for 2011.

Did you know Malibu put out a (overpriced) Remote Key Instalation kit for the 2011 model.

Guess for when the screen fails so you can still enjoy your day

Kit consists of the following with approximatly 1 hour to install

This kit is intended to be used on 2011 Model Year product that is equipped with a Malibu Touch Command.
The kit and instructions are developed for Malibu Dealer installation

Breaker Panel (MPN – 3912109)

Wire Harness Package– 3 wires (MPN – 3911009)
1-Yellow/Red, 1-Purple/White, 1-Purple/Black

8 hours ago, Andrew63 said:

Did you know Malibu put out a (overpriced) Remote Key Instalation kit for the 2011 model.

Guess for when the screen fails so you can still enjoy your day

Kit consists of the following with approximatly 1 hour to install

This kit is intended to be used on 2011 Model Year product that is equipped with a Malibu Touch Command.
The kit and instructions are developed for Malibu Dealer installation

Breaker Panel (MPN – 3912109)

Wire Harness Package– 3 wires (MPN – 3911009)
1-Yellow/Red, 1-Purple/White, 1-Purple/Black

Where does one buy this?  Solely through the dealer?

On 5/18/2017 at 6:52 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

Get over yourself man. Another comepletely worseless post. Yes this is a problem but the last page or so has been people actually trying to help between the keyed backup or sending screen out to try to figure out a way to get bad screens fixed. 

And yes a recall on the screen would be nice to see. BUT, we have no idea what the actual numbers of failures are. Ok so now you are going to site examples of how many people on here have issues. Fair, but how does that compare to how many are still working perfectly fine? A company is not going to issue a recall for a low percentage of failures. 

Mine has the bubbles, someone needs to setup a survey.

I asked the parts manager at my dealer about how many failures they have had with MTCs.  He said they have replaced four of them.  If you take into consideration they sell probably 80-100 Malibus per year that is relatively a very low failure rate, like 1-2%.  I am not saying there is not a problem with some of the screens but I can definitely see why there is not a complete factory recall with 1-2% failure rate.  Maybe my dealer is not the norm but they are in the top 5 for Malibu dealers.

3 hours ago, Fman said:

I asked the parts manager at my dealer about how many failures they have had with MTCs.  He said they have replaced four of them.  If you take into consideration they sell probably 80-100 Malibus per year that is relatively a very low failure rate, like 1-2%.  I am not saying there is not a problem with some of the screens but I can definitely see why there is not a complete factory recall with 1-2% failure rate.  Maybe my dealer is not the norm but they are in the top 5 for Malibu dealers.

I think I have to call BS on them.  I know I had mine replaced under warranty.  I also had the bubbles.  Maybe I am just one of the 4 but I'm not buyin it.

Edit:  I tried to stay out of this discussion as to not stir the pot but I believe it is more widespread than dealers/Malibu want to admit.  I am and have been concerned.

Edited by isellacuras
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, Padge said:

Mine has bubbles and the off button on the ballast fill screen does not work. How much longer do I have before it bites the dust?

If you ask me it has already bitten the dust.

The minute it starts to bubble you should be actively looking for a new one.  It's not one of those things that starts and suddenly stops bubbling over time.  

On 5/19/2017 at 7:40 AM, jb 156 said:

Wow this thread went off the rails yesterday.  My replacent has been ordered to the tune of $1495+ tax.  Glad to see that we are debating the positives and negatives of the brand instead of why I'm following this thread to see if ffrank has a fix.   I'm upset that it went out but guess it's just the cost of doing business.  

You mind sharing your contact for this price? I cant find it for that low of cost. Can pm it to me if you don't want it posted, thanks.

On 20/05/2017 at 9:22 PM, saxton15 said:

Where does one buy this?  Solely through the dealer?

Located this through Bakes.

Can't figure out how to upload the .pdf file showing the inslation

The fuse panel with the key switch is the killer as far as being overpriced.

11 minutes ago, Andrew63 said:

Located this through Bakes.

Can't figure out how to upload the .pdf file showing the inslation

The fuse panel with the key switch is the killer as far as being overpriced.

Can you PM me @Andrew63?  Maybe you can send it to my email.

10 hours ago, dalt1 said:

You mind sharing your contact for this price? I cant find it for that low of cost. Can pm it to me if you don't want it posted, thanks.

Pm sent 

So I took another look at my screen yesterday and it is in fact delaminating around the edges about 1/8" on all sides (bummer). Not into any critical buttons yet but I will need to keep an eye on it. I got a good enough deal on the boat to live with the cost of replacement one time but hopefully I'm good though the summer. Have they made the replacements any better.

2 hours ago, windy1 said:

So I took another look at my screen yesterday and it is in fact delaminating around the edges about 1/8" on all sides (bummer). Not into any critical buttons yet but I will need to keep an eye on it. I got a good enough deal on the boat to live with the cost of replacement one time but hopefully I'm good though the summer. Have they made the replacements any better.

I'd get one ordered. The bubbles on mine didn't reach the buttons. The screen didn't stop working but it became intermittent. I had mine replaced under warranty before it stopped completely and left me stranded.  

Mine failed this weekend (2012 23LSV, 165 hrs,). Always stored in garage with little to no ventilation, covered with towel while anchored. Before I found this topic I swapped batteries, disconnected harness, disconnected/reconnected many harnesses of course had the same results each time.   I was able to start with the key and enjoy the weekend but I can't turn my lights on so I have to be off the water before dark.  I can use my presets to fill and empty tanks.  Dealer quoted 2k for a replacement. Inconvenient but I think I'll deal with it for a while. Add me to the stats

Same issue as the rest of us 07Ray. Very unfortunate but it is what it is.  Check in with some of these guys in the thread there is apparently a less expensive option available.

Have not posted for quite a while. Based on this thread things have not changed much. I've had multiple screens replaced multiple times. The boat has been running flawlessly for the last three years. Got it back from the dealer after a full service and now the it's being a little flakey again. 

5 hours ago, AndyP said:

Have not posted for quite a while. Based on this thread things have not changed much. I've had multiple screens replaced multiple times. The boat has been running flawlessly for the last three years. Got it back from the dealer after a full service and now the it's being a little flakey again. 

Multiple screens multiple times?! Man, that's brutal. I hope you haven't had to pay out of pocket for each of those replacement screens.

Ordered my new screen today. $1,600 with mandatory dealer install to make sure I get the correct software installed. They said all the new screens are made in 2017 and come with a 30 day warranty (really?). Installation takes 15 minutes.

At least I can wait on it as the dealer is 1.5 hours away.