Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

I purchased a used 2012 247LSV with MTC and after a few weeks the unit has frozen completely up.  Dealer told me to reset and should be fine but that has not solved the issue.  Totally non-responsive to touch.  Pretty much useless.  I have seen a ton of guys talk about replacements, firmware upgrades, etc.  Looking for suggestions.

Sensitive subject for many of us, especially the 2011-12 owners. Does your screen have bubbling around the edges of it? If so you have significant issues and will have to replace the screen. If not then it could be something that is repairable through a reset or reseating wire bundles. Did you purchase it from a dealer? If so I'd be in touch with the dealer right away.

6 hours ago, rbrown38017 said:

Yes it has many air bubbles on the edges.........out of nowhere.

It's dead...no fix except to replace.  Many '11-'12's went that route...any time I see a MTC thread I cringe and I have a '14....so far no issues for me.   

Yeah I have buddies with 13 and 14's so far so good.  Just incredibly hard to believe Malibu isn't standing behind these issues.  Cost me $1500 today.  

8 hours ago, rbrown38017 said:

Yeah I have buddies with 13 and 14's so far so good.  Just incredibly hard to believe Malibu isn't standing behind these issues.  Cost me $1500 today.  

I suspect you will find many people who have had their screens replaced while the boat was still under warranty with no push back from Malibu. IMO your dealer should have worked with you a bit more since it went out so soon after purchase.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 1

I actually contacted the Malibu rep to discuss this issue and was surprisingly (or perhaps not surprisingly) met with a response that they are unaware of any issues with their touch screens. After explaining the issue I was then stiff-armed because my screen hasn't failed yet albeit it does have significant bubbling around the edges of the screen. Not sure if it's working 100% as I still haven't dropped it in the water this year due to having major shoulder surgery this past winter. If anyone is interested, I have the contact info of the Malibu rep.

Medallion is the company that makes these items.

11 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I suspect you will find many people who have had their screens replaced while the boat was still under warranty with no push back from Malibu. IMO your dealer should have worked with you a bit more since it went out so soon after purchase.

That is if he got it from a dealer.

I purchased my boat from a Malibu dealer, in fact I think they are the largest dealer in the country or one of them.  They won't even return my email or phone call.

38 minutes ago, rbrown38017 said:

I purchased my boat from a Malibu dealer, in fact I think they are the largest dealer in the country or one of them.  They won't even return my email or phone call.

That's flat out wrong. I would be none too happy with that service. You recently buy a 2012 247 from them that I estimate costs +$55K and they ignore you?

Just now, saxton15 said:

Who does the replacement for the screen?  Malibu or Medallion? 

You get to order your screen thru Malibu so they can flash it with the latest firmware updates. Going cost is ~$1800 albeit rbrown just got his for $1500

• 2 weeks later...

Very easy install.  Its two small screws behind the dash (easy access) remove the plug in the back, pull out, replace, and reverse removal order.  Works great.  Only thing now is I had to do some adjusting to the settings because the new screen has surfgate option showing up on display from factory.  Malibu was very helpful but unwilling to cover the cost.  They simply don't believe it is widespread enough.

14 hours ago, Rbrowntn said:

They simply don't believe it is widespread enough.

...And I'm willing to bet they're not going to investigate it either.  I replaced mine about a month ago.

Yeah it's too bad.  You'd think they would recognize their flaw and help owners out.  

6 hours ago, PhishJY said:

...And I'm willing to bet they're not going to investigate it either.  I replaced mine about a month ago.

Did you replace it preventatively?  

On June 15, 2016 at 5:15 AM, saxton15 said:

Yeah it's too bad.  You'd think they would recognize their flaw and help owners out.  

Did you replace it preventatively?  

Nope.  The right edge developed bubbles and the right half of the screen quit working.

Way too many have been caught out with these medallion screens failing.

mine set me back $2000AUD just over a year back.

search MTC or Malibu touch command & there are plenty of common stories from 2011& 2012 owners.

we tend to think heat from direct sun while parked is the killer, apart from faulty product.

yes I know, a boat lives out in the sun, but those who have replaced these screens are taking extra precautions against direct sun contact while the boat is not in use

9 minutes ago, Andrew63 said:

Way too many have been caught out with these medallion screens failing.

mine set me back $2000AUD just over a year back.

search MTC or Malibu touch command & there are plenty of common stories from 2011& 2012 owners.

we tend to think heat from direct sun while parked is the killer, apart from faulty product.

yes I know, a boat lives out in the sun, but those who have replaced these screens are taking extra precautions against direct sun contact while the boat is not in use

I bet the indirect heat is also an issue if it is separating.  My boat is covered all week long and I cover my gauges while anchored.  But while the boat sits in the sun covered during the week, the heat inside must be wild and contribute to the screen delaminating.

Just now, saxton15 said:

I bet the indirect heat is also an issue if it is separating.  My boat is covered all week long and I cover my gauges while anchored.  But while the boat sits in the sun covered during the week, the heat inside must be wild and contribute to the screen delaminating.

Indirect heat would be ambient temps or maybe 10-20 degrees more if no ventilation, one would expect the screen could tolerate this.

Heat is not the issue.  My boat has been stored indoors (garage with fan) covered and uncovered. Only in the sun on the weekends.

Either way it is very consistent in its failure.  Bubbles in the screen, etc

On 6/19/2016 at 1:11 PM, Rbrowntn said:

Man throw us that contact number. $600 is awesome price plus I would like to get my old one refurbised

Yes, please! My screen is functioning as advertised at the moment but failure is eminent as there's significant bubbling.

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 11:59 AM, liquidrider said:

Got to love the guys at SMG they told me they've never heard of this issue an quoted me $2150 for a new unit. Asked if that was the best they could do since I did pay 70k for a boat at their dealership and they said how about $1750. After declining to spend that much my sales lady who doesn't even know my name asked me if I was ready to upgrade. 

I visited a dealer while on vacation and they tell me this is a huge problem and they stock 3-4 units at all time. Told him what they told me and he called the owner of the dealership over and this guy is apologizing to me for my issues. They stock refurbished units from Medallion. Cost me around $600 for a unit. Don't care about Malibu's dealer agreement with selling boats outside of their agreed territory because SMG will never get another dollar from me. Malibu can't tell me where I can spend my money!

Yeah I'd love that contact information as well.